Best books you have read in the last 12 months?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lone Survivor- Marcus Luttrell Service- Marcus Luttrell American Sniper- Chris Kyle Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Count of Monte Cristo. Was expecting a boring, drab read, which is what you usually get from mid 1800s lit. Instead, I've been riveted from the beginning and it's a real page-turner (all 1200 of

Awesome book, soon to be film. I believe the character in this book held the record for the longest survival in a raft. Just completely amazing story of human resilience in the face of extreme hardshi

Started Patrick Rothfuss' The Name Of The Wind a few days ago. First in the Kingkiller series. Excellent! Stories within stories, layers and layers. If you want full and deep character development, this is the book for you. He (Rothfuss) has an easy and flowing way of writing and is a captivating storyteller. Different from Abercrombie in that the violence is toned down and there is more magic and demons in this world, but certainly not overdone. I am hooked.

interesting you mention him. was playing around on amazon and came across some of his. knew noting but thought he might be worth a go down the track.

• Like 1

He has become my favorite author. Glad you're enjoying! When your done with that trilogy, the Shattered Sea trilogy is excellent as well, although I have not read the last book yet. I can't find it anywhere!

i don't think it is being released until next month.

True but often books are pre-released online, or available for download before the official release. Not the case with Half a War

i think if you live in the UK, you can get it early. no idea about the states or here. i've still got 2 1/2 books of the first trilogy so i'm in no rush.

wondering if anyone else enjoys matt ruff?

Finished "The Art of Fielding" by Char Harbaugh a little while back. Loved it while I was reading it and it has stayed with me ever since. For any fans of books about baseball, academia/college life or the complications of modern love, I'd recommend taking a look into this one.

Recently, I've been re-visiting a bunch of old fantasy/sci-fi novels I read long ago.

Robert A. Heinlein - Friday, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5

Philip **** - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Ray Bradbury - The Illustrated Man

Isaac Asimov - Robot Dreams

Willams Gibson - Neuromancer

Spent the last couple of days looking in boxes, trying to find my old Dune and Dragonlance series books.

+1 great books

I am a big David Mitchell fan and highly recommend all of his books. I couldn't pick a favorite but I just read "The Bone Clocks" and enjoyed it, although it may not be his best work. "Cloud Atlas" was good and his most famous due to the movie that followed. Highly encourage everyone to try any one of his books.

I also enjoy Haruki Murakami especially "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle"

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I can't wait any longer; my favorite book of the last 12 months is (for shame) my own: Skin.

While I typically shy away from describing my book with buzz-words, if I was absolutely forced to, I would describe it as a fast-paced, old school horror novel--with a boogeyman. The story centers around a family that is trapped in their home when a blizzard knocks out the electricity. Temperatures plummet, but the family soon realizes that the real possibility of freezing is the least of their worries--something is calling--summoning--them out into the cold. As the novel progresses, the characters are placed in situations in which they must make impossible decisions, ones that affect not only their own lives, or the lives of their family, but of the entire town. It's called Skin.

You can check it out at my website: www.PTLBooks.com, or if you are especially eager, you can head on over to amazon and pre-order it right now (http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Patrick-T-Logan/dp/1511835133/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=).

Take a peek, any feedback from my BOTL is greatly appreciated!

Pat

post-20353-0-85968600-1436296874_thumb.j

• Like 2

Well... I can't wait any longer; my favorite book of the last 12 months is (for shame) my own: Skin.

While I typically shy away from describing my book with buzz-words, if I was absolutely forced to, I would describe it as a fast-paced, old school horror novel--with a boogeyman. The story centers around a family that is trapped in their home when a blizzard knocks out the electricity. Temperatures plummet, but the family soon realizes that the real possibility of freezing is the least of their worries--something is calling--summoning--them out into the cold. As the novel progresses, the characters are placed in situations in which they must make impossible decisions, ones that affect not only their own lives, or the lives of their family, but of the entire town. It's called Skin.

You can check it out at my website: www.PTLBooks.com, or if you are especially eager, you can head on over to amazon and pre-order it right now (http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Patrick-T-Logan/dp/1511835133/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=).

Pat

Sounds very interesting with some similar elements to The Shining. Good luck with it and I'll be sure to check it out once its released!

Pat

congrats. i'm not a reader of horror but i have great admiration for anyone who can achieve this. i hope it is a massive hit.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a WWI kick lately... all novels. Of the dozen of so I've read in the past 3 or 4 months, the three very best were:

• Winged Victory - V. M. Yeates (published in 1934 - written by a WWi ace - semi-autobiographical)
  • 1914: A Novel - Charles B. Smith (make sure of the author - several other books with similar titles, not as good)
  • Mudcruncher: A Novel of WWI - Matt Riddle

Also in the midst of reading The Larks by Jem Shaw, which is shaping up to be another good one.

Pretty much any of the books I have read on the Old West and the RMS Titanic. Love the history of the Old West. Have read every Louis L'Amour paperback and quite a few books on the O.K Corral, Tombstone, Earp, Holliday, John Wesley Hardin, etc. Also enjoy all John Grisham books.

Have all original Flemming James Bond books in paperback and I am working my way back through those.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want an action packed, fantasy (demons), very broad range of characters, yet all with good depth, I suggest Peter V Brett's Warded Man series. Finishing up the 4th book now. I have even started using some of the unique dialect created for the novel's in my everyday life.

Wonderful!

Anybody ever read anything by Sherrilynn Kenyon? Thinking of starting one of her series in the next couple of days.

Just finished The Blood Crows by Simon Scarrow, and about to start the next in the series, Brothers in Blood.

If you like a bit of historical fiction along the lines of Bernard Cornwell or Patrick O'Brian I can highly recommend them.

The series is based on the friendship of two Roman soldiers posted to Britannia around AD 50.

Great battle scenes, and the Roman equivalent of squaddie humour. Highly recommended!

Two notables: the Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil. Probably the most influential book I've read in twenty years. A real paradigm shifter for your mind. Also Steven King's The Stand. Just plain old good writing there. Entertaining the whole way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk