Best books you have read in the last 12 months?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lone Survivor- Marcus Luttrell Service- Marcus Luttrell American Sniper- Chris Kyle Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Count of Monte Cristo. Was expecting a boring, drab read, which is what you usually get from mid 1800s lit. Instead, I've been riveted from the beginning and it's a real page-turner (all 1200 of

Awesome book, soon to be film. I believe the character in this book held the record for the longest survival in a raft. Just completely amazing story of human resilience in the face of extreme hardshi

If you liked the first season of True Detective, "Galveston" by Nic Pizzolatto is good and his short stories in "Between Here And The Yellow Sea" are pretty good too

In the last 12 months? Well, I enjoy my Music Biographies so it's been an entertaining revelation to read the different viewpoints of the Beach Boys' history with 'I am Brian Wilson' and 'Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy by Mike Love'. Although impossible to find, and used copies go for $US135 on Amazon, I managed to read about 90% of 'Without You: The Tragic Story of Badfinger by Dan Matovina' through online extracts and patient persistence.

I think I will tackle 'Golden Boy: Kim Hughes and the Bad Old Days of Australian Cricket' by Christian Ryan this Christmas Holidays, especially after an entertaining night yesterday explaining to my brother-in-law why former Australian Cricket Captain Michael Clarke was so disliked by other players during his stint with the Australian Cricket team (although Kim Hughes' strained relationships with other prominent players of his era had less to do with his personality).

• 4 months later...
On 9/23/2015 at 9:55 PM, FHFinster said:

Thanks to this forum I'm halfway through 1Q84 (pg 500). Love it.

Glad to know it gets better.  I am about 1/4 through it and am ready to call it quits.  Picked up after all the recommendations on this site.  Did much better with the Stephen King Bill Hodges trilogy than this!

The condo we rented on vacation a couple weeks back had a few books scattered about.  I was happily surprised to see "A Long Way Home" by Saroo Brierley on the shelf.  I read it over three or four days.  What an amazing story.

41 minutes ago, brschoppe said:

Glad to know it gets better.  I am about 1/4 through it and am ready to call it quits.  Picked up after all the recommendations on this site.  Did much better with the Stephen King Bill Hodges trilogy than this!

i loved it from page 1.

even more divisive, but a book i absolutely loved and just finished, Hideo Yokoyama's 'Six Four'. one of the most amazing police novels i've ever read. very different to anything. but it divides people into those who love it and those who hate it even more than 1Q84. the problem with it is that most of the characters have six letter names beginning with 'Mik' and the rest five letter names beginning with 'A'. are there seriously such a lack of names in japan?

On 27/11/2016 at 8:01 AM, JohnS said:

In the last 12 months? Well, I enjoy my Music Biographies so it's been an entertaining revelation to read the different viewpoints of the Beach Boys' history with 'I am Brian Wilson' and 'Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy by Mike Love'. Although impossible to find, and used copies go for $US135 on Amazon, I managed to read about 90% of 'Without You: The Tragic Story of Badfinger by Dan Matovina' through online extracts and patient persistence.

I think I will tackle 'Golden Boy: Kim Hughes and the Bad Old Days of Australian Cricket' by Christian Ryan this Christmas Holidays, especially after an entertaining night yesterday explaining to my brother-in-law why former Australian Cricket Captain Michael Clarke was so disliked by other players during his stint with the Australian Cricket team (although Kim Hughes' strained relationships with other prominent players of his era had less to do with his personality).

john, if you like music biogs, 'born to run' by springsteen. i know what people will say but it is truly amazing. don't think i have ever read anything so raw and revealing. does not hold back - talks about how one of the band was once sacked from them for a while because he kept stealing from them and so much more. but he does make one big error (and yes, i am telling springsteen that he got his own autobiography wrong). talks about the stress and concerns he had before his first big stadium concert. how he did not want to do it and was worried how the crowd would react. it was in ireland on june 1, 1985. WRONG! his first stadium concert was in brizzy on march 31 of 1985 (yes, i was there). no idea why he has forgotten us.

• Like 1

Thank you Ken. I will get that autobiography and I will read it as it will only add to the rich discussion I know we'll have in person, on a number of topics, when I'm next in Brisbane...around October this year.

3 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Thank you Ken. I will get that autobiography and I will read it as it will only add to the rich discussion I know we'll have in person, on a number of topics, when I'm next in Brisbane...around October this year.

hi john, looking forward to it. do we know dates?

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

john, if you like music biogs, 'born to run' by springsteen. i know what people will say but it is truly amazing. don't think i have ever read anything so raw and revealing. does not hold back - talks about how one of the band was once sacked from them for a while because he kept stealing from them and so much more. but he does make one big error (and yes, i am telling springsteen that he got his own autobiography wrong). talks about the stress and concerns he had before his first big stadium concert. how he did not want to do it and was worried how the crowd would react. it was in ireland on june 1, 1985. WRONG! his first stadium concert was in brizzy on march 31 of 1985 (yes, i was there). no idea why he has forgotten us.

Probably mentally scarred from seeing you screaming like a little girl in the front row. :P

Just now, Fuzz said:

Probably mentally scarred from seeing you screaming like a little girl in the front row. :P

i was in the front crowd where there are no rows. but about 7 back. i was close enough to be seen on the news clip from that night.

@JohnS I too am a musician bio fanatic, tell me some of your favorite, and I'll do the same.

As to stay on topic

Ready Player One - Absolutely amazing

The Drawing Of The Three (book 2 of Stephen Kings'the Dark Tower

Just started Waste Lands (Dark Tower book 3)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1