Favorite section of a cigar?

This question came to mind as I lit up a RASCC and noticed how great the flavors were right off the bat. I hear most people refer to the second third of the cigar as the "sweet spot," but I have always found that my favorite section of a stick has always been the first third, more specifically, right as it is transitioning into the second third.

Your thoughts? Your favorite section?

I completely agree. I do really enjoy the first third the most, mostly. As well as the transition into the second. But I think a lot of it comes from my smoking mostly young cigars. I have some from 08-09 and find that they are just as enjoyable all the way to the end (as long as I discipline myself to slow down and don't over puff)

Agreed, first third and the transition into the second is always my favourite too. Quite a few cigars have stayed amazing throughout the whole stick, but they have pretty much always been CC's, which certainly influenced my decision to stick to Cubans exclusively (with very very occasional NC infidelity).

Depends on the stick, if the cigar hits the ground running the 1st. third is usually the best, especially with fresh sticks. However sometimes it can take till the 2nd third for it to really come into stride, more so in my experience with older cigars.

I tend to like the first third the most as that's when the palate is fresh. However, I enjoy the transitions between the first and second third and the second and final third a lot as well.

I agree with you gents, the first third is very nice most of the time-

however, on a really grat specimen, I love the transition into the last third.

With the best 5% of cigars I have enjoyed, there is some sort of magic about the final change of flavour/aroma.

Always bring a toothpick in case wink.png

Cheers, Alex

• Like 2

Depends on the stick, if the cigar hits the ground running the 1st. third is usually the best, especially with fresh sticks. However sometimes it can take till the 2nd third for it to really come into stride, more so in my experience with older cigars.

What he said!

Agreed with above... That transition between 1st into 2nd can be magical. The first takes you up an escalator of flavor and character guiding you to the 2nd which can then make or break a cigar. The last 3rd is hit or miss for me sometimes.

Some cigars need to burn just a bit to get over the hump, so generally speaking, I agree with the first to second transition. But now and again, like when I first tasted an RR, that first puff is intoxicating.... Just sends you to another place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess "thirds" are applied by us for purposes of description, but I'm not sure the cigars realize it smile.png

Honestly, the cigars I enjoy most are those which have character / hold my attention throughout (though many if not most might get a bit "hot" toward the end). For me, a cigar which starts off slow, but continues to build is "acceptable". A cigar which starts strong (many do) but quickly dies off is not.

Happy smoking smile.png

• Like 1

I love when a great cigar kicks it up into high gear right at the end.

I'm with Rye on this one. The last third is my favourite. Here's an interesting article I borrowed from Simon's (Strada's) post on facebook. I'm sure (and hope) he won't mind:

http://www.internationalamateurdecigare.com/cuban-tasting-lesson/