What is the cheapest thing that you do....c'mon, admit it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I smoke most of my cigars until the finger-burning end.

I reload my own ammo.

I make ice in trays the fridge came with rather than shelling out the $2.50 for a bag of it

OK. I have this thing where when I go to a fast food restaurant, I'll take extra napkins. I stash them in my glove compartment that way I have napkins to

Have been doing this for as long as I can remember.

I take so many that they are stashed in the door area storage spaces of the truck.

Whenever I leave the vehicle to go skiing, hunting, hiking, etc. I just grab a handful for the 'just in case' factor.

However, the cheapest thing I've probably done is buy shoes at REI.

REI has a no questions asked return policy.

Have purchased a few summer shoes there and returned them in the fall, claiming, rightly so in one instance, that they hurt my feet.

Some of this is funny stuff that I have done like the napkins, but a couple things are not being frugal, but downright stealing. I'm a REI member and I just can't stand when people abuse their return policy which jacks up the price for other members. Just like Costco stopped taking returns on electronic items because of the abuse, REI will have to change their return policy too if it keeps up. :(

• Like 3

I agree with AlohaStyle. This abuse of return policy thing bothers me. I used to know a lady who would go to a department store, buy a dress, wear it to a party, and bring it back the next day. She thought she was being frugal, but it seemed totally unethical to me. I wouldn't say stealing, but more like lying.

But I do save the fast food napkins.

• Like 1

Plus you can customise your loads to suit smile.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still the cheapest thing I do.

Also a member of the "screw how long my contacts say I should wear them club.".

I buy the one month contacts, and probably wear them anywhere from 3-6 months depending on how they feel.

Also a napkin grabber. Always useful to have in the car.

Growing up in Boca I have seen it all....

-People ordering water w lemon, adding sugar or sweetner.....making it Lemonade

-A line out the exercise room at the country club for free bagels/donuts/coffee/juice in the AM only to complain when they run out....when the dining room is 10 feet away

-Girls buying Couture dresses and leaving tags on only to return them the next day after Prom

Dad taught me long ago to never walk over coins on the street, always pick them up if you see one, something I have passed along to my daughter.....makes sense

Nothing wrong w grabbing napkins for the car, especially if you have kids or drive a lot

Bart

Growing up in Boca I have seen it all....

-People ordering water w lemon, adding sugar or sweetner.....making it Lemonade

-A line out the exercise room at the country club for free bagels/donuts/coffee/juice in the AM only to complain when they run out....when the dining room is 10 feet away

-Girls buying Couture dresses and leaving tags on only to return them the next day after Prom

Dad taught me long ago to never walk over coins on the street, always pick them up if you see one, something I have passed along to my daughter.....makes sense

Nothing wrong w grabbing napkins for the car, especially if you have kids or drive a lot

Bart

It kind of surprises me to see that level of cheapness in Boca. Your guys malls have Bentleys where others typically have Priuses!

• Like 1

I like to grab huge handfuls of taco bell's mild taco sauce packets to stash in my fridge instead of just buying a bottle from the grocery store! It's a great multi purpose condiment.

When I was in high school i blew the relay in my car that earthed my brake lights so that when I put my foot on the brake the lights didnt come on.

I climbed under the dash one Saturday and fed the relay wire up to beside my steering wheel. All I had to do was touch this wire and that would complete the earth and my brake lights would come on.

I did it so I had brake lights to drive to the hardware store to buy a new relay for around 50c.

The store didn't have the relay I needed so I ordered it and kept driving the car around like that until it arrived in stock.

After about 8 months I realised i hadn't picked up the relay yet.

I went back to the hardware store and found the guy I ordered it from.

He looked at me and said "seriously dude!? This thing costs 45c, you could have had the thing for free when it arrived but we've since thrown it out!"

I got back in the car and continued to drive it around like that for another 6 months until I could afford a new car.

It was a pretty handy feature for tail gaters

I'm not sure if this story makes me cheap, lazy or just reckless...

It makes you MacGyver!

• Like 1

The airline I work for used to charge for tea and coffee on board. So when my Mrs and I travelled anywhere, we would always take our own tea and coffee bags, then just ask for two cups of hot water and 2 sugars etc. Passengers would look at you funny as you put in your order, but the cabin crew knew what we werre doing as they used to do it themselves whenever they used staff travel.

As a kid, whenever something had a coupon that stated "limit _ per customer", my mom would hand us each a coupon and some cash and we'd all wait in a line.

Around the same time (I was probably 10), my brother and I once ate an entire pizza from the sample tray sitting on top of the deli counter at Albertsons.

I definitely crack open all the pepper packets from pizza places to refill my little plastic spice container at home. I think a new one is like a buck, but hey... that's a buck saved!

Also do the napkin thing, but only if I'm out of them. I'm cheap, but I also hate clutter.

I drive a $500 car. As in, I paid $500 for it. When my dad bought his truck, I offered to pay whatever the dealership was offering in trade in. Shortly thereafter I became the owner of a beat up 92 Mazda protege in a beautiful brown color, with a broken driver window and no ac. But no car payment!

It took me a week and a half to buy a new fridge when our old one died because I wanted to make sure I stacked coupons and discounts and rebates most effectively.

I'm sure there's more. My wife could list them more effectively. She has to live with me. :)

Also a member of the "screw how long my contacts say I should wear them club.".

I buy the one month contacts, and probably wear them anywhere from 3-6 months depending on how they feel.

Also a napkin grabber. Always useful to have in the car.

Do a test and buy a week's supply of dailys, I bet you can wear ear pair a month and not notice any difference, that's 7 months supply!

• Like 1

In my early 20s, I wore my contacts 24/7. I ignored my doctors suggestion not to do this. I would go 2-3 weeks wearing the same pair 24/7. Then I woke up one morning with a nasty crust around my eye. Yup, my eye was infected. I did this obviously to save a couple bucks to my weed and beer.

To make a long story short. Weekly visits to the eye doctors for two months along with topical gels cost me in the upwards of $600. I was fortunate I didn't cause long term damage. I learned a valuable lesson early on in life, DON'T BE A CHEAPSKATE!!!

Scourer cigar lounge ashtrays for half smoked sticks

Yikes!!! That's at a whole new level right there.....

( I'm assuming you were kidding and it was meant for comedic irony, but you never know).