China Invests In Hirochi Robaina

Just stumbled upon this piece by CCTV's Havana man Michael Voss ( nice guy and very knowledgeable on cigars, met him in HAV when he was with the BBC ) on China, or rather a rich Chinese, investing in Hirochi :

Looks like a follow-up on his projected venture in China by HK Hirochi International :

http://www.ty-hirochi.com/

Great Post......"Fakes-R-Us" will run rampant with this deal. no.gif

Hey Nino, was this a very high-level China-Cuba government relationship deal with Hirochi's just being used as a face of PR?

If you listen to Michael Voss at the end : "Making a private cigar in China could could prove controversial here ( in Cuba )" you will know this is no gvt deal btw Cuba and China.

This is a private venture, so it might get controversial - not due to the first name but due the last (family) name.

OT :

Hmm, I just noticed I'm included in at least 2 pictures on that website - both pictures are from the trove of pictures I donated from my archives for the Don Alejandro museum ...

If you listen to Michael Voss at the end : "Making a private cigar in China could could prove controversial here ( in Cuba )" you will know this is no gvt deal btw Cuba and China.

This is a private venture, so it might get controversial - not due to the first name but due the last (family) name.

Certainly heard it, but the story just sounds so incredulous.

This is a private venture, so it might get controversial

A bit like the Ecuador project?.......

P.S. This is the first time I've seen his name spelled Hirochi - prior to this I've always seen it spelled Hiroshi. I'm just curious as to the proper spelling.

A bit like the Ecuador project?.......

P.S. This is the first time I've seen his name spelled Hirochi - prior to this I've always seen it spelled Hiroshi. I'm just curious as to the proper spelling.

Do a search on Cigar Aficionado... his name is spelled both ways in articles by the "experts." James Suckling spells it Hirochi in one article, and Hiroshi in another. lol I always thought it was Hirochi as that's what I've seen the most.

Do a search on Cigar Aficionado... his name is spelled both ways in articles by the "experts." James Suckling spells it Hirochi in one article, and Hiroshi in another. lol I always thought it was Hirochi as that's what I've seen the most.

Well if it was meant to be the true Japanese way it would be Hiroshi... Kinda like Lyoto Machida. The Right way would be Ryoto. and Lyoko vs Ryoko... The chi at the end would make his name Hiro-Chi as in Chinese Chi which would just be weird if everyone pronounces it "Hiroshi"

"mendou kana..." = (

Actually CA says Hiroshi too

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/6209

Here is a Interview where they use the chi for pronunciation purposes i guess

http://www.guerrillero.cu/index.php/variados/entrevistas-online/1678-entrevista-online-con-hirochi-robaina

They switch back and forth. Tho Japanese/Spanish is close enough where Shi is pretty much Shi...Ah the fustrations of others using Japanese LOL

My understanding is that China is one of the largest cigar manufactures on the planet (Domestic demand).

I have to say that the best Siglo VI tubes I have ever seen were in a factory in Guangzhou. They put real ones to shame rolleyes.gif

I have seen many variations of his name.

But you will only see it as Hirochi from me as that is how he is named and spelled.

I have seen many variations of his name.

But you will only see it as Hirochi from me as that is how he is named and spelled.

Certainly heard it, but the story just sounds so incredulous.

Must be credolous enough for you to write a doctoral thesis about it on another board using my name, so don't "play" stupid here and don't go asking "dumb" questions to use elsewhere.

moon.gif

• Like 1

Hey Nino, after seeing your post here, I just expanded and wrote an opinion on the matter the way I saw it. Before your thread here, I had no knowledge of the Chinese venture. The incredulous comment was directed towards the lack of government oversight, which I perceived must have been in play. Doesn't mean I'm right. Certainly, I will remove your name; I only included it due to you being the source of my interest in the piece.

I apologize if I offended you in any way, it was not my intention. I'm just here to talk cigars and culture.

I think this thread killed the website maybe too much interest in it (particularly how they managed to photoshop all this heads onto 1 shirt and tie tongue.png

Interesting report from Michael Voss, I love how if you close your eyes the guys who's translating for the wealthy chinese businessman sounds like the guy who could make all the noise from the police academy movies (michael hounslow?)

I heard a story a few years ago in Havana that Habanos had allowed in some Chinese over at the request of china to learn how to roll cigars but these guys were learning too quickly and so Habanos brought them out to study the farms etc and then sent them back to China....this may have been a work of fiction as I heard it in the Gato Tuerto but make of it what you will.