How do CC Marcas maintain consistent flavor profiles year after year?

It seems amazing that box after box there's notably good consistency of flavor profiles with most CC Marcas, particularly when comparing the same vitola. How do the factories manage this with the inherent variability of the tobacco leaf?

It seems amazing that box after box there's notably good consistency of flavor profiles with most CC Marcas, particularly when comparing the same vitola. How do the factories manage this with the inherent variability of the tobacco leaf?

From what I've experienced, I cannot say I agree with this. It's something I think we all would love, if each Marca and it's corresponding vitola's carried the same consistency year in and year out. It would make purchasing decisions that much easier. Now, I'm current looking into box codes, years, and comments made in this forum to narrow down what seems to be the most consistent of each Marca that interests me..

I've had a bunch of boxes of RASS that seemed to always suffer from inconsistency..upmann mag 46 were like that too for me. Have a box from 11' that's really on tho..

There are other examples as well but this could just be from what I've experienced. If you have had better luck with consistency, I think that's great. I hope it keeps up..

From what I've experienced, I cannot say I agree with this. It's something I think we all would love, if each Marca and it's corresponding vitola's carried the same consistency year in and year out. It would make purchasing decisions that much easier. Now, I'm current looking into box codes, years, and comments made in this forum to narrow down what seems to be the most consistent of each Marca that interests me..

I've had a bunch of boxes of RASS that seemed to always suffer from inconsistency..upmann mag 46 were like that too for me. Have a box from 11' that's really on tho..

There are other examples as well but this could just be from what I've experienced. If you have had better luck with consistency, I think that's great. I hope it keeps up..

I'm only referring to the basic flavor profile of the Marca, i.e. Most Bolivars taste like a Bolivar, most Partagas taste like a Partagas. The great inconsistency is with how "good" any given box is. This is where I find the greatest variance.

From what I've experienced, I cannot say I agree with this.

You disagree with what, exactly? The basic flavors and general profiles of the marcas are consistent since decades, and I see it as a great achievement from the master blenders, ligadores, etc.

If you smoke a ERDM demi tasse from 2013 just after a Grandes de España from 1998, the relation is completely evident.

Replace "demi tasse" with "Bolivar pc" and "GdE" with "Bolivar corona extra" and it's the same story…

• Like 3

Some tobacco for each marca comes from certain farms. Each farm is going to produce slightly different tobacco due to the soil, location, weather and who grows it etc...

Then its up to the blenders.. as Smallcub said, this most likely play the biggest part.

I may be wrong and someone more knowledgeable can correct me but from the reading on forums like this, books and watching documentary's it's how I've come to understand it.

There was a pretty cool youtube clip posted here a while back when someone (I think a member) had visited Cuba and was at a farm talking about this with a grower, very interesting.

I recall Eddie in a recent thread arguing that cigars today share no resemblance to those that preceeded them from last century. It turned into a heated discussion for other reasons, but the message was still clear.

I personally don't have a clue either way, as my experience with cigars older than 1995 is extrememly limited.

I think the general flavors are there, but the "volatility" (spectrum) are not close. For example, just recently, I'd say late '12 onward taste "overblended" to me, as if very inherent tobacco flaws are being masked by artificial or chemical means. Of course, I could be wrong (probably am).

Rob and Smithy did a video a while back where they cut up a monte 2 from 2009 and a monte 2 from 2010 to see the if the ratio of tobaccos (viso, seco, liegro) varies from year to year

They did

I'd say what happens is each marca and vitola has a basic recipie of leaves from various farms and primings. These are rolled and sampled after each harvest by the master blenders and tweaked each year to maintain the profile of the marca. Then the tweaked blend for that year is rolled using the materials on hand. When a new crop of tobacco is ready, the whole process starts again

I could be way off though

• Like 1

You disagree with what, exactly? The basic flavors and general profiles of the marcas are consistent since decades, and I see it as a great achievement from the master blenders, ligadores, etc.

If you smoke a ERDM demi tasse from 2013 just after a Grandes de España from 1998, the relation is completely evident.

Replace "demi tasse" with "Bolivar pc" and "GdE" with "Bolivar corona extra" and it's the same story

My apologies, as I stand corrected. I interpreted FLB's original post wrong thinking he was speaking about the consistencies from month to month or year to year quality of a specific box/vitola (like some of the examples I gave in my earlier post) which I'm sure we've all experienced..

I do however agree with this now, as Marcas do seem to carry the same flavor profile within their given line of production. Apologize for the confusion..

I think the general flavors are there, but the "volatility" (spectrum) are not close. For example, just recently, I'd say late '12 onward taste "overblended" to me, as if very inherent tobacco flaws are being masked by artificial or chemical means. Of course, I could be wrong (probably am).

this is what people said about 08s

• Like 1

this is what people said about 08s

Those people were probably comparing to the pre-'05s given the couple years to gauge as reference, and rightly so. Just like some people (maybe just me lookaround.gif ) are confused with these late '12s, now that we have the '10s to mid '12s to compare to.

A fantastic question. As I have been told, there is no specific farm in a certain marca. It leaves a region and is all mixed together. It is sorted by type of tobacco to be used. The important factors to consistency:

1. The right material prima

2. The blender

3. The roller

I thought they all CC came out of the same homogenised cigar stamping machine in East Germany and the different flavours were just a dirty communist trick that we have all been fooled by via Castro propaganda? innocent.gif

This is true, and I also have a bridge to sell you! LOL.

• Like 1