MAS Flight MH 370

From all reports the situation is very disquieting.

Not sure what to say at this point.....

As a frequent flyer, plane crashes always hit home to me. I have my self been involved in several air incidents, but thankfully nothing of this nature. My prayers are for all people on board.

Two people listed as being on a missing Malaysia Airlines jet weren't on the flight, and their passports had been stolen in Thailand, authorities and family members said Saturday.

The search for the plane, which disappeared on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, centered on waters off Vietnam after Hanoi said it had spotted what appeared to be large oil slicks.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, with 239 people aboard, lost contact with the airline shortly into the flight early Saturday. Government and airline officials said they weren't ready to speculate about what caused the Boeing 777-200 to disappear from radar sometime after it flew away from peninsular Malaysia's east coast. Aviation analysts noted that accidents at cruising altitude over water were rare.

wsj

terrifying stuff. very odd for any crash to be something other than landing or taking off, unless foul play.

i had a mate who had his passport stolen in thailand last wednesday! not that it will change anything but rather hoping that was not one of the stolen passports used.

Yeah, it's the not knowing pretty much anything that's a bit of a mind f#%k. Like everyone else who works in the industry I take pause to try to be patient (avoid speculation) and wait for the accident report to surface. A complete radio/datalink blackout in modern airplanes is pretty hard to imagine with all the redundant electrical systems and failsafes.

Also the 777 has Boeing's Airplane Health Management functionality (if MAS paid for it) built into it which automatically sends data off about engineering/technical anomalies in nanoseconds of anything occurring, so if there was a fault or failure one would think that they would at least know about it.

Ive got a friend whose mom, sister and auntie on the the flight. I can't inagine what she's going through

You'd never think that something like this would happen so close to you.

Initially when we heard the news everybody was sceptical now, I think it's just started to sink in for me.

Ive got a friend whose mom, sister and auntie on the the flight. I can't inagine what she's going through

Initially when we heard the news everybody was sceptical now, I think it's just started to sink in for me.

really terrible news.

ha a friend on the lockerbie flight. fabulous girl. was heading to new york to see her boyfriend. so hard to believe. what eventually brought it home to me was years later seeing a doco on it and there is a monument of sorts with the names of those who perished. and as they panned across it, there was her name.

Sorry to hear that mate… I hope you guys get some better news.

Thanks ken n piggy for your kind wishes.

Seng, I'd like to think so too. I truly believe the authorities are doing their best. The 1st 24 hours when there was no news everybody was comin up with so many conspiracy theories but by now I really think they haven't found anything. Possibly we're not equipped to handle such catastrophe.