Any love for the Romeo y Julieta Belicoso?

Let me be upfront. I cut my toenails more often than I sell boxes of R&J Belicosol innocent.gif

...and still, a few dedicated buyers are ...well...repeat buyers.

For those few that do smoke them, what do you enjoy? What keeps you coming back.

For others who have tried them ...thoughts?

I am a big fan of the Belicoso size. Just love the feel of the cigar and time that it takes to enjoy one. Normally, if it's a Beli, I'm trying it..

Problem is, I have never had a R&J Beli in my life only because I'm just not huge fan of the brand. Looks as if I have to place an order for some singles to give these a go.

One of the most consistent cigars Habanos produces.

Consistently the WORST cigar in the line-up. MUCH prefer anything JLP, or even the Monte Open line...

I wish they would put some effort into one of its most famous marcas. Just lack of care leadership at RyJ....

One of the most consistent cigars Habanos produces.

Consistently the WORST cigar in the line-up. MUCH prefer anything JLP, or even the Monte Open line...

I wish they would put some effort into one of its most famous marcas. Just lack of care leadership at RyJ....

Indeed.

You see, this is why...just when I was about to cross the fence..

I actually very recently came across a gorgeous red wrapped box at my local, and they looked way too good to pass up, so I grabbed a couple to try.

They were my first. I want more, but only if they are like the ones I smoked. Such a rich and flavourful cigar.

• Like 1

I love the belicosos shape (like most here) but the two or three RyJ's I've had over the years have just been "flat" in flavour. Nothing sticks out - when you have other torpedo shaped Cigars like the Bolivar Belicosos Finos and Partagas Serie P No. 2 that offer much more in flavour the RyJ Belicosos just doesn't cut it.

Fwiw, they killed these cigars for good in 08. They were decent in 07 and actually samples from 04 were quite good. They could still roll these well if they want to, but to invest more money in restoring flavor and consistency when it will only marginally improve sales and that price point would seem not to interest a company that would rather use those resources to roll a reserva at $70 per stick.

Not sure why but I don't gravitate to the pointy heads be it #2 or belicoso.

Just not a fan of the vitola.

Having said that I have had a few RJ Belis in my time.

I bought some singles about 5 years ago and really didn't like them at all. At the moment, however, I'm trying to revisit 'lost' cigars and I'm having great success. I bought more singles in Berlin a few months ago and I really, really love them. Actually considering a box... I re-tried the SP Beli and I'm very impressed with it too. Maybe I had duff sticks years ago or maybe my tastes have changed. Who knows?

Received an '08 RyJ Belicoso from a member here to try and it was amazing, tad less floral and cut grass tannin in the finish than '03s. Smoking a '97 RyJ Belicoso now for this thread and it is ethereal. Give me vintage Romeo J#2's, these, and Hoyo DCs, I dont need anything else.

I have no idea how these are nowadays.

There was a guy that I bet with a lot when the packers won the super bowl a few years back and he always paid his debts with some of these( he lost a lot that year ,lol). My thought was they were just ok, I would take a ex#4 any day.

I got a HQ box about 6 months ago off Rob, nice thin dark red wrapper, flawless construction.. great cigars, Just like the box of R Y J PC's he picked for me a few months earlier, pure cream, cherry fizziness... mmmmm! gorgeous cigars and super consistent, quite possibly the best box of PC's I've ever had, which is a surprise because on the flip side nearly all the other boxes of R Y J I've ever had where 'meh' at best. I really do think its one Marca worth paying more for and getting hand picked for you if you cant buy yourself in person. From recent LFTW and reviews etc... it does seem that R Y J is staging somewhat of a comeback! spotlight.gif