Does a dark wrapper translate to a good cigar ?

Before finding FOH I had purchased a few boxes of cigars out of Canada. 1 box of Epicure 2 and 1 box of Partagas D4. Both boxes were from 2012. The other day I was having a D4 from FOH, Dark wrapper insane construction just flat out incredible in every way. However my 2012 D4 , very light wrapper, won the taste test. Just wondering if the coloring of the wrapper makes that big of a difference.

nope! if that were the case, the Siglo VI Gran Reserva would be a Maduro 5 Genios Gran Reserva instead..... and i'm preeeeeetty sure i saw a box of those Genios Gran Reservas on the streets of Instagram for $100 per 50 cab? ;)

but honestly, it's not always that way. another thing is that the LEs are much darker than normal sticks which gives the appearance of them being much better. but in reality, some LEs are just god-awful. you should normally take a look at box codes that have proven to be amazing. either by word of mouth or searching on thsi forum.

With nothing to back it up other than my personal tastes, I find darker wrappers to be more interesting ageing projects. It may have something to do with the bitterness that El Prez mentions, by adding another layer of complexity, similar to the tannic structure of young wines perhaps?

Certain cigars I want dark oily chocolate wrappers , some I want reddish hued silky oily wrappers and some I want light , oily and smooth wrappers, and then sometimes the ugliest of them all are the biggest surprises to enjoy.

Dark makes zero difference except perhaos increase the bitterness.

Great wrapper can be light or dark. Needs to be tensile and oily/sheen

Plus, I think this plays to the smokers' tastes. So it can be very subjective. I prefer lighter wrappers.

Nice wrapping with ya!. :lol3: