Congrats to the second Canadian hockey gold!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Canadian hockey fans/players don't whine like European ones. We play tough and accept defeat to a better team when we lose. Grapes says it all the time and it's true. You wouldn't hear a single compla

I'm sure you wouldn't have heard a single objection............... We'll see how it all plays out tomorrow...hoping that this won't become the third "coincidence" that the Canadians win the Olympic g

Canada hasn't won Olympic gold on international ice since something like 1952. That's an interesting stat. Either Canada is due for a gold since it's been so long, or they will continue the trend of n

Canadian hockey fans/players don't whine like European ones. We play tough and accept defeat to a better team when we lose. Grapes says it all the time and it's true. You wouldn't hear a single complaint from me if the riffing situation was the other way round. And wouldn't these refs have been decided for this game before the teams were set?

You're right, they are now complaining that Zetterberg and one of the Sedin sisters are out. Well guess what, Stamkos and Tavares are out for Canada also so, let's watch and see what happens. Actually I know what will happen, we'll be listening to O Canada after they win the gold medal!! GO CANADA GO!!!!

Wow is team America sucking today.. I figured it would be gold or nothing when we had Canada in the semis and it's sure looking like nothing at this point...

The Fins are a tough squad. IMO, they have the best trio of goalies in the tournament.

Totally agree with Shlomo. The game hasn't even been played and its sounding like the South Korean figure skating team around here.

Should be an outstanding game tomorrow.

I'm loving the trash-talk...

If anything a Canadian referee dominance will disadvantage the Canadian men. The refs will be so intent on avoiding the appearance of influencing the game that the bias will be in favour of the Swedes - what can I say, it is a Canadian thing. It will be a fun game to watch.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go back to my team Sweden voodoo dolls. Damn, where did I put those pins?

Canada hasn't won Olympic gold on international ice since something like 1952. That's an interesting stat. Either Canada is due for a gold since it's been so long, or they will continue the trend of not doing well outside of North America. And the ref situation is a bit unexpected, but I would gladly take a crew of North American refs over Euro refs any day since the best and most experienced officials should be on the ice for the gold medal game. (And I hate all refs in general. LOL)

The US men totally choked. The women choked, too, but at least they got a medal. I would be seriously embarrassed about the US program if I really gave a rip about international hockey in the first place. The Stanley Cup is a much greater prize - there's no doubt when it's all said and done, at the end of several best-of-7 series, that the better team won. None of this one and done garbage.

I'll be rooting for Sweden since a number of Wings are on the team. And because I pretty much loathe Team Canada. At any level.

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow. Hockey brings out almost as much passion as cigars. As it should. Hoping for a great game decided on skill and not bad calls.

Canadian hockey fans/players don't whine like European ones. We play tough and accept defeat to a better team when we lose. Grapes says it all the time and it's true. You wouldn't hear a single complaint from me if the riffing situation was the other way round. And wouldn't these refs have been decided for this game before the teams were set?

The refs are decided the day before the bronze and gold medal games.

You can call it whining if you want, we are simply conveying our thoughts about choosing to have almost all refs from Canada knowing that Canada will be playing...I'm sure they are very professional and will do their best to be fair, however why not have American reffs and keep it entirely neutral? I'm guessing that just about the same percentage of people in Canada would have reacted to this in the same way some of us are...don't think otherwise. It's natural, especially when it is about such an important game.

Also, don't think for one second that we are sore losers. When we lose, we accept it and look ahead. We are a proud hockey nation with a great track record. We never cry over spilled milk.

That being said, this will make winning tomorrow even sweeter!

You gave the world Bieber, Celine, Howie Mandel and Robin Thicke (not to mention Alan Thicke) - we are still the winners!!!!

USA!!!!!!!!

Don't forget these refs are paid proffesionals. I'm convinced there will be no bias to either team based on that fact alone. Believe it or not but the refs are watched as closely as the players by their bosses. Those who perform better get better deals(I.e. More money Andrew ef bigger games.).

I was hoping the Fins were going to win because at least then Canada had played them before and would know what to expect, I have no I des as to how Sweden a has played as I haven't seen a single minute of any of their games. All I know is that if Canada play the defensive game like they did against the States Sweden have no hope. I also believe that Sweden won't be able to match up physically or speed wise so if we keep up the tempo and finish our Checks, Sweden is down and out.

One thing is for certain, there is a lot of talent amongst numerous teams. I am most impressed that teams have held Canada tight. On paper these games should all be blowouts by Canada without a question so deep with talent. Finland and the US kept these games in check, coild have gone either way. I am hoping Canada big guns wake up and its a blow out but magnitude brings out the best usually in the pro's in hockey so i am huessing it could go either way.

$50 says that Obama renigs on the bet to the Canadian Prime Minister Steven Harper for two cases of beer that both Team USA men and women's hockey would beat Canada. It's ok though, he has yet to deliver on many of his promises to U.S. citizens anyway.

Team USA was embarrassing to watch against the Fins.

The Olympic Oath is a solemn promise made by one athlete and by one judge at the opening ceremonies of each Olympic Games.

The judge takes an oath:

In the name of all the judges and officials, I promise that we shall officiate in these Olympic Games with complete impartiality, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them in the true spirit of sportsmanship.

The Olympic Oath is a solemn promise made by one athlete and by one judge at the opening ceremonies of each Olympic Games.

The judge takes an oath:

In the name of all the judges and officials, I promise that we shall officiate in these Olympic Games with complete impartiality, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them in the true spirit of sportsmanship.

Yeah, there are *never* any scandals regarding fixing at the Olympics. LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Enough of the crying violin.gif about the officiating selections. Seems the Sweden players are ok with it.

Veteran Swedish defenceman Niklas Kronwall of the Detroit Red Wings believes that both teams can benefit from North American officials.

"We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL," said Kronwall. "We know their standards so I think it's easier for us too if the referees are from there."

Former Norris Trophy winner and Ottawa Senators standout Erik Karlsson agreed with his fellow blueliner.

"I think most referees over there [in the National Hockey League] are Canadian, too," said Karlsson. "They probably support Montreal or Toronto, but they don't make any difference there. I couldn't care less about what the referees do. As you saw yesterday, we had two power plays, Finland had a lot, and we still won the game. It's nothing we can control and neither can Canada."

IIHF officiating manager Konstantin Komissarov later confirmed the evaluation process for tournament officials and why that quartet was selected to work the final.

"The main factor of the selection of these officials has most of all to do with their experience officiating in high-level competitions," said Komissarov on Saturday. "These include Stanley Cup playoffs, World Championship competitions, and Olympic competitions."

"Their nationalities aren't considered as factors nor should they be, we want the best officials working the medal games," he said. "We are fully confident that with their experience and professionalism these officials will do their job well and preserve the integrity of the game."

Oh brother. If the refs were Amerians a bunch of guys would say they were getting revenge on their losses and call the game unfairly.

If the refs were Russians, there would be conspiracy theories about how Putin was getting even.

Just watch the game and see what happens between the penalties. That is where the talent and action is. And as for losing, someone has to suffer with the silver medal. Boo hoo hoo.

You gave the world Bieber, Celine, Howie Mandel and Robin Thicke (not to mention Alan Thicke) - we are still the winners!!!!

USA!!!!!!!!

Who gave the world Honey Boo Boo or Charlie Sheen??? This could on.......just saying.....no winners in this argument!

I am actually good friends with one of the linesman at the Olympics. He also officiates in the NHL. He could not be a more stand-up, honest, respectful official. A man of true integrity and he would find this laughable. These guys are pros........their careers could be shot if the officials cause a f*ck show. It will be a game that will be called close and fair.

JD

Who gave the world Honey Boo Boo or Charlie Sheen??? This could on.......just saying.....no winners in this argument!

What's wrong with Sheen????? That dude drinks Tiger Blood...WINNING

• Like 1