Congrats to the second Canadian hockey gold!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Canadian hockey fans/players don't whine like European ones. We play tough and accept defeat to a better team when we lose. Grapes says it all the time and it's true. You wouldn't hear a single compla

I'm sure you wouldn't have heard a single objection............... We'll see how it all plays out tomorrow...hoping that this won't become the third "coincidence" that the Canadians win the Olympic g

Canada hasn't won Olympic gold on international ice since something like 1952. That's an interesting stat. Either Canada is due for a gold since it's been so long, or they will continue the trend of n

What are you guys talking about? Sweden will definitely not be an easy target for Canada...no matter what! They could barely beat the team that US played around with, I.e Latvia! Sweden would have made confetti out of all competition had we had our Captain Zetterberg and Henrik Sedin.

I'm sure we will win nonetheless!

As for the referees, I can't even comprehend that they would use people from one of the countries playing....seems very fair. Yet again, maybe higher powers aren't that sure Canada can make it without some unfair help....

Looking forward to Sunday's game! Go Sweden!!!

I predict the refs will play no factor at all. North American refs tend to let the players play and not call every minuscule tap on the hands a penalty. They'll leave the game up to the players to win it. Which is the way it should be. Obviously the blatant penalties need to be called but the little stuff should be let go.

So I think that it's a good thing three refs are from Canada because it should give us an open game with little stoppages which is always fun to watch.

Maybe not, but it sure as heck will not be a disadvantage to have almost all referees from your home country....

What a damn joke! All in all 7 out of 8 are from canada..if you count in supervisor, video and reserv.

I still remember the world championship 2004, when Sweden took a quick lead 2-0 against the Canadians, and how do they deal with it? Well they target one of the all time best Hockey players in history, Peter Forsberg, through Niedermeyer! The fact that he didn't get suspended is a major joke! 2+10? After such behavior?

Let's see what new bag tricks the Canadians bring to this game...

The selected referees wont decide the outcome of this game so save the crying for later. The officials chosen for the Gold medal game represent the best available.

"They could barely beat the team that US played around with I.e Latvia! " Did you even watch this game? It was complete domination from start to finish by Canada. The Latvian goalie collapsed in his crease from exhaustion. Sweden gave up 3 goals in their game with Latvia as well. Canada played shut down defensive hockey in defeating the USA.

I was exaggerating to make a point, they should have beat them more easily as would have been expected. Nonetheless, this should not happen. There are plenty of US referees. Why not pick out of them? Are Canadian NHL referees much better you mean?

It doesn't hurt having 7-8 referees from your home country. It did not hurt in the Olympic Games of 2002, nor the Olympic Games in 2010.

(The only two times in modern time the Canadians won the gold)

However, it is not to say that having Canadian referees will set the outcome of the game...it is silly to think so! BUT given the very very tough and rough nature of Canadian hockey, you might benefit of having referees that won't be calling all the necessary penalties...

That said, I'm sure Sweden will beat the Canadians!

• Like 1

Im confident the officials call only the blatant obvious infractions or just put the whistles in their pockets and let the players decide the outcome (I prefer this last one).

I have the utmost respect for Team Sweden and its players. Borje Salming and Mats Sundin are Legends here in Toronto Canada. Henriq Lunqvist is capable of shutting down teams on his own but our Canadian Team is so strong I can't see Sweden defeating them. Canada has so much talent we could have sent a B team to these Olympics and gotten to this stage as well.

Go Canada Go buddies.gif

Go Sweden!!! All in all though, I'd rather have North American refs.. The inexperienced officials cost the American women the game in OT due to a couple phantom penalties. That wasn't even close to slashing by Lamoureux, and on the breakaway that never would have happened if not for that bad call, their skates may have tangled, but otherwise the American didn't touch wickenheiser.

Regardless of the Refs, if Canada plays a "Claude Julien" style game like they did yesterday, it should stay close until the end. Congrats to fans from both nations & I hope that the best team wins and that the Refs just let the boys play.

Go Sweden!

I am curious of the reaction if the scenario had been the opposite; 7 out of 8 officials from Sweden instead.

I'm sure you wouldn't have heard a single objection...............innocent.gif

We'll see how it all plays out tomorrow...hoping that this won't become the third "coincidence" that the Canadians win the Olympic gold (in modern time) when the overwhelming majority of the referees are fellow Canadians.

• Like 2

We'll see how it all plays out tomorrow...hoping that this won't become the third "coincidence" that the Canadians win the Olympic gold (in modern time) when the overwhelming majority of the referees are fellow Canadians.

Canadian hockey fans/players don't whine like European ones. We play tough and accept defeat to a better team when we lose. Grapes says it all the time and it's true. You wouldn't hear a single complaint from me if the riffing situation was the other way round. And wouldn't these refs have been decided for this game before the teams were set?

• Like 3

Regardless of the Refs, if Canada plays a "Claude Julien" style game like they did yesterday, it should stay close until the end. Congrats to fans from both nations & I hope that the best team wins and that the Refs just let the boys play.

Go Sweden!

that's the spirit !

Vitruvius

It's not a coincidence when we are the best!!

All about the Gold!!