Congrats to the second Canadian hockey gold!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Canadian hockey fans/players don't whine like European ones. We play tough and accept defeat to a better team when we lose. Grapes says it all the time and it's true. You wouldn't hear a single compla

I'm sure you wouldn't have heard a single objection............... We'll see how it all plays out tomorrow...hoping that this won't become the third "coincidence" that the Canadians win the Olympic g

Canada hasn't won Olympic gold on international ice since something like 1952. That's an interesting stat. Either Canada is due for a gold since it's been so long, or they will continue the trend of n

Canada should savour this one, i think that'll be it for nhl'ers at the games...owners will get their way after such key injuries

i hope you are right. i would prefer to watch amateurs. they seem to generally care more. i also would prefer to see a ream who has practiced for a couple months together ss opposed to just s couple days.

i love watching yhe womens hockey for this reason

• Like 1

If NHL aren't allowed in the Olympics then Khl shouldn't be, neither should Swedish elite league or any other pro or semi pro league. But that will never happen and it will always be euros winning from now on then.

If NHL aren't allowed in the Olympics then Khl shouldn't be, neither should Swedish elite league or any other pro or semi pro league. But that will never happen and it will always be euros winning from now on then.

it will make any canadian win that much sweeter.

Not talking about players not playing because they are pro's, although the Olympics should be entirely amateur atheletes. Tavares out for the season, thats a huge blow, too much at stake to lose your best players for something that has nothing to do with your business.

• Like 1

Interesting article just now, but the photo is the best...

http://www.canada.co...itive-drug-test

While those are the rules, it's super lame that he got booted because of that.

The Fins could make a good case that because he played in all their previous games those should be forfeited and they should be awarded the Silver Medal.

Not talking about players not playing because they are pro's, although the Olympics should be entirely amateur atheletes. Tavares out for the season, thats a huge blow, too much at stake to lose your best players for something that has nothing to do with your business.

While I agree with you on the amateur point, the genie is out of the bottle now with Pro hockey player in the Olympics. Take AO for instance, he flat out said he'd pay whatever fine the league dolled out just so he could go represent his country. Because there are so many non-NA's in the NHL, I think it would be tough for the league to stop people from going.

To your point DD, it's why tournaments like the U20 World Juniors is SOOOOOOOOO much fun to watch!

Edit: Forgot to say Congrats to Canada for both of their hockey Gold's. Each deserved.

the best athletes from their respective countries should represent their countries ... period .

take the nhl out of the mix ... the olympic tournament becomes the farce it was for 30 years back in the 50's 60's 70's 80's.

perfect example ... golf in the summer olympics ... amateurs only ... olmpic golf means nothing .

derrek

the best athletes from their respective countries should represent their countries ... period .

take the nhl out of the mix ... the olympic tournament becomes the farce it was for 30 years back in the 50's 60's 70's 80's.

perfect example ... golf in the summer olympics ... amateurs only ... olmpic golf means nothing .

derrek

Nope. Sorry. Gonna have to disagree. If I'm an owner paying some talented fellow $8MM a year to play for my team and I don't want my investment getting injured for playing in a tournament that means nothing for my team, then that investment is not playing. Period. Now, as far as what's currently out there, it entirely depends upon how contracts are written or how the CBA was passed. If an owner is dumb enough to allow an international tournament clause in the contract, then they have to deal with it. But I suspect that most owners haven't and won't allow such silly things. If a player goes without permission, I suppose it could end up being a breach of contract, a lawsuit, and whatever else.

And I think it's funny how you think previous Olympic tournaments were a farce. I imagine that's because the Canadians weren't doing so well back then? Hmm. Did it ever occur to you that many people around the planet think it's a farce now because it seems like Canada's always winning gold? And that's certainly true of women's hockey - that's a complete joke. There are really only two teams that stand a chance of winning anything.... and when it comes to the Olympics it seems that the US ladies are to the Canadian ladies as the Washington Generals are to the Harlem Globetrotters. But at least the ladies teams are more like amateurs who play a lot of games together, as opposed to the men's teams who are simply cobbled together once every four years.

But I do agree on your Olympic golf assessment, but I think it's less to do with amateurs and entirely to do with the fact that it's golf. In the Olympics. <sigh>

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Nope. Sorry. Gonna have to disagree. If I'm an owner paying some talented fellow $8MM a year to play for my team and I don't want my investment getting injured for playing in a tournament that means nothing for my team, then that investment is not playing. Period. Now, as far as what's currently out there, it entirely depends upon how contracts are written or how the CBA was passed. If an owner is dumb enough to allow an international tournament clause in the contract, then they have to deal with it. But I suspect that most owners haven't and won't allow such silly things. If a player goes without permission, I suppose it could end up being a breach of contract, a lawsuit, and whatever else.

And I think it's funny how you think previous Olympic tournaments were a farce. I imagine that's because the Canadians weren't doing so well back then? Hmm. Did it ever occur to you that many people around the planet think it's a farce now because it seems like Canada's always winning gold? And that's certainly true of women's hockey - that's a complete joke. There are really only two teams that stand a chance of winning anything.... and when it comes to the Olympics it seems that the US ladies are to the Canadian ladies as the Washington Generals are to the Harlem Globetrotters. But at least the ladies teams are more like amateurs who play a lot of games together, as opposed to the men's teams who are simply cobbled together once every four years.

But I do agree on your Olympic golf assessment, but I think it's less to do with amateurs and entirely to do with the fact that it's golf. In the Olympics. <sigh>

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

greg

respectfully ... you gave a nice long winded repy to my post ... yet didnt get the point of my post .

canada wins or canada loses(in the 60's or last week) ... it doesnt matter .

yes i understand the reasons nhl owners dont want their players playing .

regardless ... the below statement was the only point i was trying to make ...

!!!!!!! the best athletes from their respective countries should represent their countries ... period !!!!!!!

if this is not the case ... the olympics mean nothing .

derrek