When does it End?

That's a serious diagnosis. I guess what it seems to come down to is consequences. If there are consequences to the spending i guess I would be concerned.

I am not a doctor só not even close to a diagnosis but, like I said, it doesn't seem to be normal buy like that everytime you change your hobby.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're living in a broken world trying to fill a void meant for something eternal with material things. That's why it never stops. You think this box or that watch, or this car or that girl, or this ga

And a Man sat alone, drenched deep in sadness. And all the animals drew near to him and said, "We do not like to see you so sad. Ask us for whatever you wish and you shall have it." The Man said, "I

Lets be honest here If you're gonna have a problem, full humidors and crowded liquor cabnets are good problems to have ;-)

And a Man sat alone, drenched deep in sadness.

And all the animals drew near to him and said, "We do not like to see you so sad. Ask us for whatever you wish and you shall have it."

The Man said, "I want to have good sight."

The vulture replied, "You shall have mine."

The Man said, "I want to be strong."

The jaguar said, "You shall be strong like me."

Then the Man said, "I long to know the secrets of the earth."

The serpent replied, "I will show them to you."

And so it went with all the animals.

And when the Man had all the gifts that they could give, he left.

Then the owl said to the other animals, "Now the Man knows much, he'll be able to do many things. Suddenly I am afraid."

The deer said, "The Man has all that he needs. Now his sadness will stop."

But the owl replied, "No. I saw a hole in the Man, deep like a hunger he will never fill. It is what makes him sad and what makes him want. He will go on taking and taking, until one day the World will say, 'I am no more and I have nothing left to give.'"

• Like 3

And all the animals drew near to him and said, "We do not like to see you so sad. Ask us for whatever you wish and you shall have it."

Then the owl said to the other animals, "Now the Man knows much, he'll be able to do many things. Suddenly I am afraid."

But the owl replied, "No. I saw a hole in the Man, deep like a hunger he will never fill. It is what makes him sad and what makes him want. He will go on taking and taking, until one day the World will say, 'I am no more and I have nothing left to give.'"

I'm framing this.

We're living in a broken world trying to fill a void meant for something eternal with material things. That's why it never stops. You think this box or that watch, or this car or that girl, or this game or that sport will satisfy. They don't. We fill our lives with noise to avoid confronting it, but it's there lurking under the surface. A deep seated dissatisfaction covered up with as much luxury as we can afford. And it'll remain there until we've dealt with the eternal.

Well put.

As for spending out of control... Everyone will have different means or boundaries they can live with. If you can't control yourself, then there may be larger issues at hand. Pattern irresponsible behavior will hurt others around you and is destructive. No sugarcoating it.

We're living in a broken world trying to fill a void meant for something eternal with material things. That's why it never stops. You think this box or that watch, or this car or that girl, or this game or that sport will satisfy. They don't. We fill our lives with noise to avoid confronting it, but it's there lurking under the surface. A deep seated dissatisfaction covered up with as much luxury as we can afford. And it'll remain there until we've dealt with the eternal.

If someone is like this, and I am sure a lot of us are like that, I would just think it's a "power" force.

The problem is when it becomes a disease.

Fellas, I find myself in the same mindset as each and everyone of you:

Buying cigars by the boxes, spending ridiculous amounts of money on my wardrobe and shoes, my car (or 2), and of course the timepieces..

Think about it this way, we all spend our time and money to buy expensive Habanos cigars because we want nothing but the best. We spend our time setting up our cabinets/table humidors to make sure we make good on our investment in ours cigars because we truly appreciate what this hobby does for us and we enjoy it.

This is what translates to other aspects of our lives as well.. The clothes, the other materialistic things that we need to dive deep on.. Thats how I see things and many others that share the same passion about cigars, but I have no regrets.. The money I've spent has been well spent and as I'm sure you'll all agree, you wouldn't trade this hobby or "addiction" for the world..

You gents inspire us young guys (28 here) to dream big. I don't have the funds to spend the thousands of dollars on each hobby I enjoy but cigars have taken a precedence over others. I hope one day to be able to afford the best of everything but for now I tend to focus on good smokes, good drinks, and good eats. Btw what do you guys do to afford this lifestyle and are you hiring?? :)

Very interesting thread. All my previous hobbies have been expensive (peep the sig) but I guess that's also what makes them appealing. Sneakers, cars, cigars, dslr gear, it goes on and I probably spent enough to pay off my student loan. I find myself slowing down a lot on cigars now though, I guess luckily once you build a nice stash in the beginning, you only need to buy a box every few months to maintain it. So hopefully my spending will be lower from now on, have other important things to save up for now.

What this thread tells me is that everyone here is rich or living in extreme amounts of debt. But still, at least we're not heroin addicts (i dont think... sneaky.gif )

Says the man buying PSP boxes on a whim!

I say if you have the money and your finances are in order, then spend whatever you can afford on anything you want.

But in my opinion, if you're carrying any debt at all, then all your expenses should be within a budget that will allow you to get rid of the debt as fast as possible. Personal debt is for suckers. Governments may be able to use it without problems (I doubt it , but we'll see). No debt=no payments, sooner and better retirement, and more cigars and whisky for that retirement.

• Like 2

I agree with Dmonkey and other posters that mentioned "as long as you can afford it". Everything's relative, so if you can pay your bills, your wife is happy and your interests don't have negative affects on other aspects of your life go ahead and enjoy your current passion.

Beautiful

Ahahah cos im rich ***** :P How do they do it ? #****inRollingInIt #WipeMyAssWith50s .... That's how the cool kids do it isn't it? :)

You rocking that #FIFO money clip bro ;)

But seriously, you lot are making me jealous

I don't think that it has to do with affording or not. If you buy things you will never use you are hoarding.

There is another thing that it is collecting and I am sure most of us has a collection of something but, again, if you buy with any purpose besides collecting, it can be a problem.

"if you buy things you will never use you are hoarding" tell that to the well intentioned tool purchases I have made over the years... (practical as a chocolate teapot me). Why always so negative oliverdst? You cant take it with you, and if you're not in debt and no one gets hurt, what's the problem? Enjoy your stuff everybody :D

• Like 1

"if you buy things you will never use you are hoarding" tell that to the well intentioned tool purchases I have made over the years... (practical as a chocolate teapot me). Why always so negative oliverdst? You cant take it with you, and if you're not in debt and no one gets hurt, what's the problem? Enjoy your stuff everybody :D

Agreed.

Definitely not collecting tools, just buying things I will never use, your definition of hoarding... And you are being negative, so many things these days are defined as 'problems'... People just aren't allowed to live and enjoy themselves without stressing about every little thing.

Like I said, if no one gets hurt, and you're not in debt, whats the problem??

• Like 2