Por Larranaga Secretos Espana

Regional Release - Spain

Petit Corona

Box of 25

I am a big fan of PLPCs and this regional is reasonably priced.

Has anyone smoked these and if so what are your thoughts?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i really don't get the point of this cigar, is it different enough to warrant purchasing for so much more than plpc? i would never consider purchasing this when i can buy montecarlos and the recent p

i thought it was amusing he listed the few exceptions to the rule as well yay there is a like button, i was gonna suggest this!

i really don't get the point of this cigar, is it different enough to warrant purchasing for so much more than plpc? i would never consider purchasing this when i can buy montecarlos and the recent plpc seems to taste better than all previous years iterations i've had

how much of the demand is due to the second band? do people just want it because it's limited? or because it's new? i wish hsa would stop releasing stuff like this and concentrate on reviving classics but that's just a pipe dream unless enough people stop buying these new releases maybe then they'll get the hint

• Like 2

I've got plpc, montecarlos and panatelas, but this is a fantastic cigar in it's own right imo. And who's to say a demand for Pl res won't mean hsa at least consider adding to the standard Pl range? Plus the, also espana, Pl legendarios is one of the finest cigars I ever smoked, these were a no brainer for me.

Regarding the 'point' of these. These cigars are made by HSA/Altadis Spain for the Spanish market with the notion that most of the cigars will be bought and smoked by Spanish people.

These are at least 20% less in price than the PLPC in Spain, with a box at less than 100 euro.

One of the lowest prices anywhere at duty paid prices for a box of hand rolled cigars.

It might help revive interest in the brand in Spain i.e. the point of the regional release program.

If you think that the PLPC costs less than this cigar, remember, not at duty paid prices it's not.

Is that really the purpose of the regional program? I'm not aware so pardon my ignorance. If the plpc is not popular, how does hsa introducing this cigar intend to increase its popularity, merely by price point? Kindly enlighten me.

That doesn't explain why people in the states are scrambling for them, though.

I had one yesterday and liked it quite a bit ROTT. As for the reasons for buying them, I like PL and it's as close as it gets to a Minutos plus the price is more than reasonable - especially for an RE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that really the purpose of the regional program? I'm not aware so pardon my ignorance. If the plpc is not popular, how does hsa introducing this cigar intend to increase its popularity, merely by price point? Kindly enlighten me.

That doesn't explain why people in the states are scrambling for them, though.

Yeah. Indeed. And there's no ignorance at all. It's a good question, and here's how I look at it. Actually, I think the points of the regional program are numerous, and various.

Firstly, it is a marca's way of acknowledging a specific market/nationality/region/demographic etc. A little hat tip if you will, to say, "Hello there, ladies and gentlemen, we like what you represent, here is a little something special we knocked up especially for you. We hope you like it."

Secondly, there are tremendous marketing opportunities that spin off from the first point.

Thirdly, it provides a producer of a premium hand made product to be, at least, a little creative. Which is also interesting for them, and allows individuals, and the collective to enjoy a little bit of pride in the work they do and the product they create. (Please note, this point is a little utopian, and while it may apply to wine, craft beer, furniture, clothes, Ferraris etc, other people may disagree with this point when applied to cigars, and Cuban cigars at that).

Fourthly, read Alawadi9's review here --> http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117182&hl=lebanon

This is a prime example of why the regional program exists. Great history and story behind the cigar. Everyone enjoys a story.

Fifthly, the supply and demand law. It appeals to collectors and connoisseurs alike, as they are usually limited and different.

The fifth point is probably why people in the States are scrambling for them. Either something different to smoke. Or something collectable.

• Like 1

… or, simply, Altadis Spain needed a cheap but premium TPC sized cigar, for a country where more than 26% of the population is unemployed…

Unemployed people do not buy RE.

As a matter of fact unemployed people cut every non-essential product. They have to.

No kidding? And what about the equation: "more people unemployed, less customers for cigars"?

It's sort of ignored since the population of Spain is almost 50 million, and only 5000 boxes (I would think) would be produced.

That equation means 1 in 10,000 people would have to buy one box.

I would think however, at that price point, including all the tourists, and purchasers overseas, that only 1 in 100,000 people in Spain would have to buy a box for this exercise to be a raging success.

In Barcelona at the moment..

Picked up some boxes:

Boli "108" from 2010

Boli Gold Medal from 2008

And the PL Secretos

post-15170-13904769645886.jpg

Smoking one a secreto ROTT right now actually.. A bit young, peppery, perfect draw and burn, got a bit rough at the end.

post-15170-13904772135936.jpg

Nice score!

Box code on PL Secretos?

Tks!

No kidding? And what about the equation: "more people unemployed, less customers for cigars"?

And the rest is history.

• Like 1

It's sort of ignored since the population of Spain is almost 50 million, and only 5000 boxes (I would think) would be produced.

That equation means 1 in 10,000 people would have to buy one box.

I would think however, at that price point, including all the tourists, and purchasers overseas, that only 1 in 100,000 people in Spain would have to buy a box for this exercise to be a raging success.

I am sure the math it's not as simple as that.