RASS 2011 v. 2012/2013

I was wondering if anyone else noticed a difference between the two. I have a box from 2011 that are an atrocity and I have a box from 2012 that are pure magic. Does anyone else notice a difference in RASS production? Is my box from 2011 a one-off? Should I steer clear of anything before 2012?

I really can't say about 2011, but I have heard a few say they were flat or tasteless. I have 2 2012s and 2 2013s in dress boxes that are magic at least 12s. But I think the 13 will be there too in time. At least from the examples I have. I know some will say the cabs are the Good ones, but mine or spot on.

One box from one year does not represent the quality of an entire cigar. I don't want to seem judgmental, but it's like seeing a guy selling a box of cigars with 24/25 left in the box . . .

I have only smoked a couple of RASS, so I am not coming to their defense. It is illogical to judge any cigar based of your experience from one box from one year. Cuban cigars are boxed by wrapper color. You could have cigars from 25 different rollers from 25 different days in one box. The only way to be able to judge the quality of a cigar is to smoke A LOT of them from the same codes.

The part of your question that I can try to answer is that I feel 2012 and 2013 cigars have been very high quality across the board. If you like the profile of the average RASS I would buy 2012 over 2011, but that doesn't guarantee you won't get the odd lame cigar (or two) in a box.

One box from one year does not represent the quality of an entire cigar. I don't want to seem judgmental, but it's like seeing a guy selling a box of cigars with 24/25 left in the box . . .

I have only smoked a couple of RASS, so I am not coming to their defense. It is illogical to judge any cigar based of your experience from one box from one year. Cuban cigars are boxed by wrapper color. You could have cigars from 25 different rollers from 25 different days in one box. The only way to be able to judge the quality of a cigar is to smoke A LOT of them from the same codes.

The part of your question that I can try to answer is that I feel 2012 and 2013 cigars have been very high quality across the board. If you like the profile of the average RASS I would buy 2012 over 2011, but that doesn't guarantee you won't get the odd lame cigar (or two) in a box.

X2. I don't have a ton of exposure to aged smokes. I usually only acquire them in trades. So this year everything I purchased was from 2012/2013. This has been the most consistent run if cigars I've had. I also have RASS from '13

and they are spot on. That's encouraging with them being so young.

All I know is that my MUR 2012 box was phenomenal ROTT, dark and oily (high end HQ or low PSP), perfect construction, maybe a tiny bit of rough edges in the last third, but nothing that hinders the enjoyment. I have no prior experience with the RASS, but MY box is one of the best I have in my humi, just brilliant!

The PSP box of NOV 10 I have are absolutely tasteless. Haven't had an '11,'12, or '13 yet.

Well, I am happy to say my Nov10 PSP box are smoking brilliantly! So good in fact, that I use them to convert people to Cuban cigars. I can't keep my hands off of them and I will be sad when they are gone.

2012 and 2013 stuff is everything I look for in a RASS so far. Great stuff, and a great cigar!

Well, I am happy to say my Nov10 PSP box are smoking brilliantly! So good in fact, that I use them to convert people to Cuban cigars. I can't keep my hands off of them and I will be sad when they are gone.

2012 and 2013 stuff is everything I look for in a RASS so far. Great stuff, and a great cigar!

Rye, Glad to hear that your box of PSP NOV 10 are good!

Also, in an effort to further muddy the waters here, I've definitely found my palate less receptive to certain cigars at certain times.

Perhaps you just need to give the taste buds a break, smoke something different, and return to the RASS in a week or two.

I've only had a couple out of my OGA DIC 2011 cab so I definitely need to revisit before deciding, but from the couple I had I wasn't too impressed. This is an interesting thread as I just chalked it up to having a couple off nights of smoking, but it was enough for me to wonder if they weren't that good. So much in fact that I sold off the 2nd cab of same code in order to buy a recent 2013 cab seeing pictures of how good the recent cabs looked.

Just had a RASS from 2013 and it had a taste that I am not too sure about. It was slightly florally but I have never experienced that note before so I am unsure. Has anyone experienced this?