Why Jay Gruden Will Work In DC

Heard him speaking on the radio in Grand Final week. Sounds like a tough gig (lots of uncertainty) but he's doing well.

he is being paid a motza to kick a football a few times a week. as for 'doing well', i think that might be the nicest way i've heard it put. skins were just about the worst special teams unit in history. i think it would be a miracle if he is not one of the first cut or not resigned (not sure if he is a free agent). and by "miracle" i mean complete and utter disaster condemning the skins to further mediocrity.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see another person from the District and Redskins fan. ok.gif Do you stop by Drapers in the city?

I like Gruden for the pick. Very interested in the actual makeup of the coaching staff under him though. I assume Haslett will provide some experience, etc.

I have said this before but will repeat that I believe there is a solid nucleus on offense that they can build on. Easy to agree with those you have named. looking.gif

However the defense needs more work and I am hoping that that will be addressed (or at least start to be addressed) this coming year. Agree with those you have listed I just think there are more "holes" and it may be more difficult to fill them.

The special teams? Oooo-fah. lol3.gif And yea the punter needs to go.

Welcome Aboard!

Aaarrrggghhh......

Yea, i think that we have a nucleus one both sides of the ball, its time for us to chop off the dead limbs and start with whatever we have left. I really don't frequent Drapers, I'm a regular at Signature cigars on Wisconsin Ave. in Friendship Heights... I love it there. Best MSRP on sticks in the city hands dan, and a wide variety of great guys to smoke and socialize with.

i look forward to more discussions on the glorious skins in coming years and hopefully one day sharing some cigars to celebrate their next superbowl win!

on kirk, one assumes he'll leave after four years no matter what. are we not better off getting something for him now?

and re free agency, is any contact banned till then or are things put in place well in advance?

Well, contacting the free agents before the set date is "Tampering"... Which holds a pretty hefty fine in the NFL, and thats on both sides, meaning Players who are free agents can't reach out to teams, and teams can't reach out to players (except for the last team that held your contract). As serious as the penalties are, its almost impossible to enforce, and prove. Most guys that come into free agency are scooped up by their new teams within hours of Free Agency starting. Are you on Twitter Ken? Most if not all the Redskins Insiders, and beat writers that cover the team are on Twitter. It really helps in receiving real time info. on the team... Most Insider were confirming the Jay Gruden hire 3 days in advance...

You can't have Byrd....

Best Regards,

Long-suffering Bills fan.....

Ha! He's been wanting out for the entire year! We got the money to pay for him as well... Sorry boss! You guys been making good off of our guys for years, it time to flip the tables...

Bills could franchise him again of course. But I agree that he probably needs a new home. Last years quasi-holdout (I don't think plantar fasciitis warrants several weeks off) was quite frustrating. He wants a fairly serious contract. You would be better served with him than Donte Whiffner though. Byrd is quite the ball hawk.....

Don't expect any miracle from the Redskins the first year or so. You will see a completely different team and coaching staff and it will take time for things to gel together. As a NY Giants fan living in northern VA, I have to say I feel sorry for the Redskins nation as the last 20 years or so have not been very kind. Snyder has spent tons and tons of dough on coaches and high profile players only to see mediocre results year after year. Gruden looks like a good guy, maybe he can get the players to play hard for him but he has an uphill road to climb.

Yea, i think that we have a nucleus one both sides of the ball, its time for us to chop off the dead limbs and start with whatever we have left. I really don't frequent Drapers, I'm a regular at Signature cigars on Wisconsin Ave. in Friendship Heights... I love it there. Best MSRP on sticks in the city hands dan, and a wide variety of great guys to smoke and socialize with.

Well, contacting the free agents before the set date is "Tampering"... Which holds a pretty hefty fine in the NFL, and thats on both sides, meaning Players who are free agents can't reach out to teams, and teams can't reach out to players (except for the last team that held your contract). As serious as the penalties are, its almost impossible to enforce, and prove. Most guys that come into free agency are scooped up by their new teams within hours of Free Agency starting. Are you on Twitter Ken? Most if not all the Redskins Insiders, and beat writers that cover the team are on Twitter. It really helps in receiving real time info. on the team... Most Insider were confirming the Jay Gruden hire 3 days in advance...

not on twitter. have avoided it at all costs. but that might be a reason to think about it (but not enough).

As a life long redskins fan since the 70's everything is mere speculation until next season begins. Even then expectations will not be that high given Snyder's penchant for being a complete idiot.

Nice to see another person from the District and Redskins fan. ok.gif Do you stop by Drapers in the city?

DC Here, too, fellas. Drapers occasionally. Have not yet been to Signature in NW. Used to be President Cigars last I was there?

And since I'm hijacking already, have either of you tried Basin Street Lounge in Alexandria?

DC Here, too, fellas. Drapers occasionally. Have not yet been to Signature in NW. Used to be President Cigars last I was there?

And since I'm hijacking already, have either of you tried Basin Street Lounge in Alexandria?

No, is it pretty good? whats the house set up? Can we smoke there? PM me...

Just checked out Basin...sounds pretty good. I work in Alexandria, would love to meet some of the FOH brothers for happy hour some time!

Yes, Basin Street Lounge allows outside cigars. They're a New Orleans style Jazz Lounge apparently with an excellent bourbon selection.

I've never been, but have heard good things. Would be happy to try and meet up sometime.

Oh ok. You are a northwest guy. I live in southeast. Anacostia really, and work downtown. So I don't get uptown much. I havent even been to the Drapers' Civil Cigar Lounge on Wisconsin Ave NW yet.

Oh ok. You are a northwest guy. I live in southeast. Anacostia really, and work downtown. So I don't get uptown much. I havent even been to the Drapers' Civil Cigar Lounge on Wisconsin Ave NW yet.

Yea, i stay uptown for the most part... Civil has a nice layout, but its WAY overpriced and the drinks are expensive as all get out! i frequent there occasionally, and by occasionally i mean 1 every 2 months or so... But Signature right down the block is where i like to go...

Trade Adrian Peterson away to the Patriots.

Wow that would be one if the worst moves ever! The patriots don't deserve that much love buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it true that gruden kicked off his time in DC by referring to the skins fans as the 'raider nation'? not the most inspiring start.

Yea! Your right Ken... He said " He hopes to make Raider Nation proud"... He was given a mulligan from the media with that one... Trust me it's the only one he'll get...

Always! There is never a dull moment... All you gotta do is turn on the tv and they'll give you something...

Ken you gotta talk to Rob about putting up a sports Subforum for NFL, NBA, MLB, College Sports, Etc... I know there are tons of sports fans on here!