Best problem ever?!?

Funny story.

We recently got moved out of our house for a couple of days by a bush fire, and whilst staying with the relos I offered the patriarch one of my Honduran stogies.

Long story short, he loved it and i left a couple with him.

Anyway, he gives me a cigar in return.

"got it when i finished my High School Certificate in 1986"

I’m shocked.

it's this huge 9 inch plus stick, obviously dry but smells divine.

so i start researching methods of restoring this ancient and venerable stogie, explain it will take at least 1 year and i have never done this before, so i might ruin it.

All care, no responsibility, etc.

"Well you seem to know what you’re about, take the rest of the box and we can smoke em next Xmas"

"sure" i say "no problems"

the next morning i figure ill Google this bad boy.

Shock of my life.

Told the old boy.

Still not sure he believes me.

image.jpg

now i'm kind of lost....

dunhill havana club. at least they look like it. MRN has them made from first class material, very mild, needs an ultra refined palate! knock yourself out.

indead thay are, refined i am not. lmao

think i may be just a tad over my head here

indead thay are, refined i am not. lmao

think i may be just a tad over my head here

if you have five (and fingers crossed stored well), find a good time and settle back with one. store the others well and then in a year or so, with more cuban experience, have another crack. and so on.

half your luck

if you have five (and fingers crossed stored well), find a good time and settle back with one. store the others well and then in a year or so, with more cuban experience, have another crack. and so on.

half your luck

unfortunately i do not have 5.

i have the 3 full coffins you can see there + 1 empty coffin (that was an anti-climax)

You're ahead of me, my neighbour has been telling me for a while now that he was involved with a house clearance and there were 'boxes and boxes' of old cigars in there. He finally brought a box over for me to look at, they're from the Canary Islands jester.gif

Amazing! Treasure these with each one you smoke. I would save for very special occasions. I've had the pleasure of smoking a box of these (well, 5 coffins), and have a few more coffins left that I plan to save throughout my lifetime. They are one of the rarest and most sought after cigars. Although a long smoke, definitely rewarding both for its history, scarcity, but also its flavor profile. Better than any of the Davidoff havana cigars imo

I hope they are able to be rehabilitated. When you say "obviously dry" do you mean too dry to pinch without fear of cracking the wrapper? If they still smell divine then I would imagine they aren't in bad shape. Dry cigars normally do not have much of an aroma. I truly hope these are not ruined!

I hope they are able to be rehabilitated. When you say "obviously dry" do you mean too dry to pinch without fear of cracking the wrapper? If they still smell divine then I would imagine they aren't in bad shape. Dry cigars normally do not have much of an aroma. I truly hope these are not ruined!

I have only handled 1.

The cigar feels a tad light and i figured for it not to be dry after 27 years i would need to be the luckiest man on the planet.

Honestly it didn’t feel much more fragile than a new stick, I wouldn’t go baton twirling with it any time soon tho.

The other 2 may not have been touched by human hands since they were packaged for sale and if i can avoid touching them, i will.

I have tossed the whole box in a zip lock bag with the hygrometer from my humidor (it's a little ghetto).

There is no humidification device in the bag :)

Suppose in a couple of weeks I will have some idea of what the moisture content is like.

I looked up where you live and the historical weather patterns show pretty high RH most of the year:

Mean 9am relative humidity (%) 72 77 78 78 80 82 79 74 67 64 66 67 74 65

1907-

The last number of "65" is the average for all months from 1907-2010. Funny how it's right on 65%, which is some peoples ideal Rh. Now, the temperatures could get pretty hot, but I don't see a pile of ashed from tobacco beetles, so you might have perfectly viable 27 year old Dunhills!!! The only way to find out is to smoke one :)