Sicily 2013 - The Canadianbeavers return

Looks like a fantastic Time Lisa...Sicily is on my must visit list for sure. Nice haul...especially on those La Escepcions

Awesome pics !

Beautiful !!

Lisa - did you by any chance find or know of any good small / private cooking schools there - I'd love to take my wife for a vacation there or to Tuscanny and give her the chance of enjoying her passion for food in-country.

Thanks !

Thanks for the comments guys, we certainly had a great time! One of the most interesting things was seeing all the spots where the Godfather movies were filmed.

Nino, I have no idea about cooking classes but the most wonderful, elegant spot on the island had to be Taormina, just south of Messina. High up on the mountain there are magnificent hotels and the food/views are amazing. If anywhere, this might be a place for cooking.

Beautiful !!

Lisa - did you by any chance find or know of any good small / private cooking schools there - I'd love to take my wife for a vacation there or to Tuscanny and give her the chance of enjoying her passion for food in-country.

Thanks !

Hi Nino,

I can some friends of mine - I will let you know.

Nino, I have no idea about cooking classes but the most wonderful, elegant spot on the island had to be Taormina, just south of Messina. High up on the mountain there are magnificent hotels and the food/views are amazing. If anywhere, this might be a place for cooking.

Thanks Lisa, just an off chance - Taormina is the place my wife has mentioned a few times so I thought I'd ask.

Hi Nino,

I can some friends of mine - I will let you know.

Thanks Ute, much appreciated !!

A couple of short stories:

A walk through Palermo with a guide. The traffic is wild. She explains that signs, traffic lights and lines on the road? No rules. In Sicily these are "just a suggestion".

In Taormina, a taxi driver is racing through the tangled narrow streets at night, scaring the crap out of us, but exciting too. He explains that the Italian government is so corrupt and the public services are so useless. Garbage is all over the roads in huge piles, except in the most popular tourist areas.

He goes on to tell us that a road being built here in Sicily that anywhere else would take 2 years, but here it takes 25. A common joke is the plan to build a bridge between the island and the mainland is a waste of time and money. Just wait 1000 years and the land will shift anyway. peace.gif

Thanks for the replies... There is even a "Godfather Tour"!

In Palermo, this is where they shot the scene in GF 3, after the wedding where they shot Michael's daughter. That's me and our friend, the husband of the our traveling companions.

post-8371-0-02379800-1383059083_thumb.jp