Hotel Nacional De Cuba ash trays

I am like everyone else...the more I see them here...the more I want one. It would be ironic to find out that they were made in China or Mexico. If the marble is not domestic, is the the production domestic? If not, I wonder who the supplier is and if our host could order some directly? I am sure digging through the Cuban supply chain is a futile process.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So last night I am rushing home to get Valentine's Day present to my wife and my neighbor (who I smoke with quite often) yells at me to stop over.  I knew he had been in Cuba for a week.  I get up on

I didn't care for the heavy marble bases they added to the large ones.  If you thought they were heavy before they are extremely heavy now.  I passed on the large with the heavy base and got 2 smaller

Although everyone mentions marble, some of the Hotel Nacional ashstrays appear to be granite rather than marble, based on the photographs. Both being natural stones

Good point. I need to have a close look at mine. What's the easiest way to tell the difference, little crystals in the stone?

They are generally highly polished but marble can be made to look like that too with some kind of compound surely.

I would imagine they are made in Cuba. I've seen them in other hotels and cigar stores too. The Conde de Villanueva has them as does the Palacio O Farrill. The Nacional ones are the most familiar I suppose. I'd guess they're all made by the same guys then engraved as the orders come in.

They appear to be marble.

This (partial) article suggests Cuba has lots of marble quarries:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Cuba's+traditional+marble+industry+poised+for+a+comeback.-a0276721273

The grey appears to be called Gris Siboney, and the pink perhaps the more rare Orquidea Sierra? (though I clicked on a stone vendor site and they classify the Orquidea Sierra as a limestone...

Obviously I have too much time on my hands, and no Nacional ashtray sad.png

• Like 1

They appear to be marble.

This (partial) article suggests Cuba has lots of marble quarries:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Cuba's+traditional+marble+industry+poised+for+a+comeback.-a0276721273

The grey appears to be called Gris Siboney, and the pink perhaps the more rare Orquidea Sierra? (though I clicked on a stone vendor site and they classify the Orquidea Sierra as a limestone...

Obviously I have too much time on my hands, and no Nacional ashtray sad.png

rotfl.gifrotfl.gif

Nice work!

Good point. I need to have a close look at mine. What's the easiest way to tell the difference, little crystals in the stone?

They are generally highly polished but marble can be made to look like that too with some kind of compound surely.

I would imagine they are made in Cuba. I've seen them in other hotels and cigar stores too. The Conde de Villanueva has them as does the Palacio O Farrill. The Nacional ones are the most familiar I suppose. I'd guess they're all made by the same guys then engraved as the orders come in.

Well if Cuba has marble and the ashtrays are indeed made there and not in China, etc, then perhaps the heavy ones are marble.

Similar to what Fuzz said, if it has speckles/crystal type surface, then likely to be granite. Marble usually veins, either clear or smudged.

There is something satisfying about a Hotel Nacional ashtray bought personally in the hotel itself though.

I had the regret of not getting one on my first trip..... Made up for it on my second trip!

It was harder to bring back home than a bag of heroin, but worth it. I use it every day, and is a great talking point with new comers.

Marble and granite would have very similar weights. There is plenty of both in Cuba. Walk past any building in Havana Vieja or Centro and you see marble covered foyers and stairs. Vedado isn't far behind. Even some of the pavements in Havana Vieja are marble, something I can't remember seeing anywhere else, some of the slippiest footpaths in the world. There's acres of the stuff. The guide in the Bacardi Building told me that the lobby has stone from every continent. I'd believe him.

I've read that between 1-3 buildings fall down in Havana Vieja every month, the guys who make the humidors for the gala-dinner auctions (among others) get all of their spanish cedar from beams from collapsed buildings.

Even if there were no quarries, there's no shortage of the raw materials in Cuba. At least for ashtrays.

Labour is cheap in Cuba, even compared with China.

Having the ashtrays made wouldn't be hard, shipping would be an issue, at 4 kg or so each.

There is something satisfying about a Hotel Nacional ashtray bought personally in the hotel itself though.

There are plenty of beautiful one piece marble ashtrays at calle de la artesania, they just don't say Hotel Nacional on them.

Ashtrays aren't tobacco or alcohol so you're good to go ok.gif

• Like 1

So, if I travel to Cuba from the US, would an ashtray fall under my $100 tobacco/alcohol limit or be considered a home good/art piece?

BTW - Any luck getting that Chinese manufacture to copy the design? The more I read this tread, the more I want one.

If people are serious, I can look into it. Would need to buy/borrow a sample or at least get high-res pictures and dimensions (since I don't own one of those beauties).

I know it will never replace the experience of picking one up yourself in Havana but not all of us will have that chance or money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On Friday, I spoke to the guy at the counter at the Nacional where these things used to be sold.

He said no more of them, ever.

I know Cuba well enough to know that answer could change next week but he was unusually insistent and pissed off.

Not the same thing would have no intrinsic value.....IMO.

You wouldn't believe how many people would buy it just to show off. I see some posted here regularly in the daily smoke thread where I know for a fact that the person did not pick it up themselves and has never been to Cuba.

Nobody came through with a sample, so this is not moving forward.

• Like 1

You wouldn't believe how many people would buy it just to show off. I see some posted here regularly in the daily smoke thread where I know for a fact that the person did not pick it up themselves and has never been to Cuba.

Nobody came through with a sample, so this is not moving forward.

So if you haven't been to Cuba you can't own or use one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk