Australian Government to raise Duties by 50%

The problem is, raising taxes just reduces taxable consumption, the people find ways to circumvent the new taxes.

Therefore when the people who think up the new tax level calculate it, they think adding the 50% will increase the revenue by 50%, it doesn't.

In most documented occasions, higher tax reduced the total revenue.

I heard of a new reform that should help you down under, for every stupid thing a politician says or does, you get him to pay a tax of 100,000 $, our bean counters calculated you will get over 10 billion the first year.

trickle down economy my arse, they gave tax breaks to big business and now they want to tax working joe to pay for it, same as always.

well said, eloquently put

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trickle down economy my arse, they gave tax breaks to big business and now they want to tax working joe to pay for it, same as always.

Yeah, but when they try to tax big business (eg mining), they go on a massive media campaign to get John Q Public on their side and say it is ruining the economy. Soon nobody pays their taxes, the Government goes broke and has to borrow from up the wazoo, becoming the new Greece of the Pacific...

I simply have no words to describe how this makes me feel....

Everything here is taxed to the hilt and then some more. The average Joe working his butt off gets a break, possibly a pay rise or a bonus only to have that null and voided because there's always a new tax increase here or there. You earn or make a little more, the Government tax double.

I should vote next time around and do what my dad does, draw an enormous Swastika on the voting form because no matter which government takes the reigns here, they're all a pack of F***ing NAZIS.

I don't like this one bit, not only for you guys but also as Oz seems to be the testing ground to see just how far a population can be pushed with new social-eugenic laws, I fear this is coming close to home in a few years :s

Cameron's adviser, Lynton Crosby, is in the pay of big tobacco, hence the delay in the plain packaging stuff.

Don't know how to feel about it, slight benefit to me via the age old Etonian mate's system...

They really are all scum, worldwide.

Cameron's adviser, Lynton Crosby, is in the pay of big tobacco, hence the delay in the plain packaging stuff.

Don't know how to feel about it, slight benefit to me via the age old Etonian mate's system...

They really are all scum, worldwide.

i think lynton crosby might be an old queenslander?

and while we are taxing the crap out of everything, they also announced today that, in order to convince us the vile kcrap (i always think of that blobby misshapen villain from ninja turtles) is doing the right thing (notwithstanding that he has completely changed what he said not so long ago simply because he realises that there are more votes in this, the steaming pile of snakes... ) by sending refugees to survivor island, we, the tax payers, will fund a $30 million ad campaign. what a vile **** (am i allowed to say that? - whether i am or not, he is scum).

i think lynton crosby might be an old queenslander?

and while we are taxing the crap out of everything, they also announced today that, in order to convince us the vile kcrap (i always think of that blobby misshapen villain from ninja turtles) is doing the right thing (notwithstanding that he has completely changed what he said not so long ago simply because he realises that there are more votes in this, the steaming pile of snakes... ) by sending refugees to survivor island, we, the tax payers, will fund a $30 million ad campaign. what a vile **** (am i allowed to say that? - whether i am or not, he is scum).

I don't know why the Govt doesn't get into the people smuggling business themselves. So called "refugees" buying their way in will be funding their own settlement!

I don't know why the Govt doesn't get into the people smuggling business themselves. So called "refugees" buying their way in will be funding their own settlement!

fuzz, great idea. given that they would inevitably cock it up, might put a stop to it.

Buy from *****int and then as good honest citizens surrender over the customs duties. I know I always do when I order from Rob or elsewhere ;)

Just out of interest, how much is a 20 pack of marlboro reds (picked as a benchmark). I know your currency is riding high but over here in the UK you are looking at sbout £7.80. Consequently there is a huge blackmarket in foreign contraband. Those I know who smoke, smoke E European. You would just want to avoid fakes from China, as if cigarettes are not dangerous enough already.

That said hardly anyone I know or see out and about smokes so the taxes are a deterrent to an extent. That is except for young women, especially the less fortunate teenage girls who smoke them whilst pushing along their young baby on their way back to their council house - which makes me wonder how those on benefits can afford to smoke - but then in the words of Ali G we have a "well fair" state and one of the most generous ones at that.

Back to cigars and AUS it seems as if your duties are even higher than here and if not they soon will be. I do sympathise with the smaller cigar merchants (those that are not out of business already) and the average OZ punter. I believe *****int and of course paying your duties is the only way. Shame.

I have just used currency converter and AUS $20 = £11.79 which is ridiculous by even UK standards.

We are a mess mate in terms of cost of living here.

I can honestly say I do the best I can for duty paid cigar prices to Aussies. I feel for them, I am one of them. if it wasn't for the volume we do globally, I wouldn't be able to pare down on Aussie prices. I feel for other cigar retailers domestically without that advantage.

Aussie cigar lovers are a tremendous community. We will work together to do the best we can.....unfortunately...covertly.

Every *****AS member would like to have this dickhead in their sights! The problem is he never stays in one spot for too long. PNG one day, Afghanistan the next, a marginal seat the next day.....

And i see tonight he's placed his two sons in campaign roles. If i'm paying for this nepotism i'll be even more pissed off!

post-5688-0-57673400-1375348089_thumb.jp

Where does it end...

Politicians need to start been held accountable, then just maybe they might not make such ridiculous decisions that cost our country's so much the public ends up having to pay for.

But that's never going to happen. Democracy (if that's what we want to pretend it is) Its a farce. There's no choice what so ever.

Just ridiculous, governments are so stupid. Living in Toronto and with Ontario tobacco taxes being so high, it just forces me to buy elsewhere. They can raise tobacco taxes 100% and still are not getting a cent from me. Now if they would lower it and make it more affordable, maybe just maybe I would start supporting my local B&M's and my government. This idea escapes all politicians. It's just a continuos assault on the middle class.

It seems that everywhere in the developed world we are experiencing a death by a thousand cuts by over taxation.

However there is a cause for hope and in a way things can only get better although they may not seem so for quite a while. Firstly prohibition and the creation of exorbitant duties never work and the only individuals who ever benefit in the long run are organised crime and smugglers and may even cause a revolution when a tipping point is reached on a broad scale.

We may be heading to puritan health despotism but eventually this will change when it is finally realised that the war cannot be won, although this may take a long time it will happen.

We are a mess mate in terms of cost of living here.

I've quite a few friends who have moved to Oz for gap years etc and settled down and who's parents can't afford to visit them now, not because of flights but cost of living, food etc makes it too expensive on top of the travel expenses, a month visit is just too expensive now. I wonder if the tourism industry there is feeling the effects?

If it gets any worse i'll be moving to Spain or pop into to see the Swiss

Seriously though, this is getting out of hand. This will put the cost of a pack of cigarettes up to around $35 a pack and a box of Monte 2's up to over $700 a box (i'm not accounting for the 2.5% CPI increase but am assuming the 12.5% increase will compounded annually)

This more or less means that every small cigar store and head shop will be closing its doors within the next 4 years.

I fear this may be the final nail in the coffin for 90% of tobacco retailers in this country.

Rob, you may very well end up being the only Aus based Cigar supplier within 5 years.

Just ridiculous, governments are so stupid. Living in Toronto and with Ontario tobacco taxes being so high, it just forces me to buy elsewhere. They can raise tobacco taxes 100% and still are not getting a cent from me. Now if they would lower it and make it more affordable, maybe just maybe I would start supporting my local B&M's and my government. This idea escapes all politicians. It's just a continuos assault on the middle class.

Its the same here in the UK, I've never bought a full box here... even though there is some very good cigar shops not to far from me. All I can afford is to buy a few singles from time to time... the silver lining being because stuff is so expensive it sits around for years, basically the majority of cigars are vintage and readily available discontinued stock. However, while this is quite nice to get hold of the rare single now n then its not good for the businesses or tax revenue. People unless well off, just cant afford full boxes... and 50 cabs! ha well you could probably get a new car! LOL.

I would love nothing more to go to my local cigar shop and actually be able to look in person, open up a few boxes, smell them inspect them etc.. before buying. I imagine it can be a lot of fun!