Suspect box of monte no. 2's

Jringe1109

Hello all,

This is my second post on the forum. I am relatively new to the world of habanos since i live in the good ol US of A its difficult to find a legit vendor. Now that ive found FOH i will be using the Czar. But anyway here are my concerns:

1: the warranty seal is not folded remotely close to the coat of arms.

2: the back branding stamp "habanos s.a. Hecho en cuba ect...." is larger than my other boxes stamps and the "T" the swooping lines do not touch each other like on other boxes i have and have seen.

3: the cigars them selves have zero sheen or oil and have a very very faint smell.

FA829024-8122-4A44-991E-FEA5042E9C3E-3704-000004CFF2842662_zpsde09fac3.jpg

A370C1BB-B293-46E6-8CBA-99945916919B-3704-000004D0F6AE2063_zps47c1bdaa.jpg

C5FEC6D4-F372-4727-BFC3-C103F35F179E-3704-000004D13DD5A59C_zpsdbbe8c8b.jpg

D8AEF33D-C508-4640-8AAD-79CC04E418B1-3704-000004D2A5EB873B_zps96888740.jpg

Thank you for looking and any responses are appreciated. These "abnormalities" may be normal and i am just not aware about them.

The serial number at least checks out fine.

The cigars do look dull, and that's all I can say as I am not in anyways expert.

But am curious as to what others have to say.

MC4,

thanks for the reply. i forgot to mention in my OP that the serial number checked out legit. Strange how crappy they look, and why the seal isnt folded through the coat of arms right?

I believe that should be ok since its a box of 10 and not 25.

I think what you are going to hear is that if you trust your source then you should be ok. If not, all you can verify is that the box is probably legit and the content, who knows.

The cigars, not sure what to tell you but the roundness of the head is a bit different than what I am used to on a Pyramid. Did you buy them from Spain?

they were bought from who i believe is a reputable vendor out of Hong Kong but they ship out of switzerland.

the box arrived with the seals intact and uncut.

i will probably smoke one next week and see how they smoke.

thanks for the insight.

well thats reassuring haha. the box code is actually the same code that i have on a box of monte no. 5's that i know are real from Germany. so that was actually one thing that seemed OK to me. yea they look like crap to be honest.

Star dates have been seen before. There's nothing superficially very suspicious, but man, is that an ugly specimen you're holding up. I've never seen a No. 2 get all bulby up there by the head, like a, well, just what it looks like. innocent.gif

Wilkey

It's probably original, if I read properly between the lines the vendor is reputable (HK, ships from CH).

That being said, they don't look like the top of the bunch and I know the vendor in question doesn't have any QC process as opposed to our beloved leader peace.gif , the cigars I got from him in the past were not the best one could have for the money invested.

I trust your next order will be from the Czar, try even a LFTH or LFTW to get some boxes you can see and you will be very happy.

Smokeinpeace,

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean "try even an LFTH of LFTW"?

Thanks

Smokeinpeace,

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean "try even an LFTH of LFTW"?

Thanks

He's referring to the Live From the Humidor/Warehouse events that Rob & Co. run periodically via this website. Details on how to participate are posted to the first post in each thread. Keep an eye out for them as they are normally announced ahead of time.

I believe they're hosting one selling aged boxes tonight at 9 PM New York time, so sign back on and watch the action to get a good idea of how they work. You'll have to move quick if you want to buy something though!

Everything looks authentic to me. Except for the quality/wrappers on those cigars... A great example of not to purchase blind. You will have to smoke one and let us know how it goes. Welcome to FOH you found a great place. You will be extremely pleased when you see the quality here

Thanks guys for all the info/help.

Im planning to make a purchase through Rob this week. Just deciding on what i want. Maybe ill throw in another box of 10 monte 2's from Rob to compare to these ugly stepchild sticks i got. Haha.

Thanks again

UPDATE: i just could not refrain from trying one of these fugly sticks, and to my surprise the one i smoked was great. not good but GREAT!

im shocked to say this but the burn was perfect, the ash was tight an compact with the grey color i've come to love. it tasted excellent. i'm not one to pick out flavors of nutmegs and caramel gingerbread houses lol but this stick had the classic chocolately twangy sweet taste that i've come to know and love from montes.

it had a slightly acidic bite on the finish on the roof of my mouth but it was pleasant, nothing a few months in the humi wont fix.

im glad to say my concerns have been alleviated and i'v learned a lesson: try it before you knock it.

cheers

I'm just reading all these comments that feel this is a legitimate box...those are the sorriest looking Montecristo No. 2's I've EVER seen. Even the Monte Opens that everybody derides look a HELL of a lot better than these thumbsdwn.gif Of course, I don't consider myself an expert. IF these are legit - then Man! What on earth HAPPENED to Cuban quality and torcedor ability???

Based on the pictures I agree that they are some of the "ugliest" cigars I have seen in a long time but I am very glad for you that your sample smoked well and you enjoyed it! We do enjoy cigars with all of our senses but for me as long as the aroma and taste are there...I will embrace more than a little ugly ;-)

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

This is my second post on the forum. I am relatively new to the world of habanos since i live in the good ol US of A its difficult to find a legit vendor. Now that ive found FOH i will be using the Czar. But anyway here are my concerns:

1: the warranty seal is not folded remotely close to the coat of arms.

2: the back branding stamp "habanos s.a. Hecho en cuba ect...." is larger than my other boxes stamps and the "T" the swooping lines do not touch each other like on other boxes i have and have seen.

3: the cigars them selves have zero sheen or oil and have a very very faint smell.

FA829024-8122-4A44-991E-FEA5042E9C3E-3704-000004CFF2842662_zpsde09fac3.jpg

A370C1BB-B293-46E6-8CBA-99945916919B-3704-000004D0F6AE2063_zps47c1bdaa.jpg

C5FEC6D4-F372-4727-BFC3-C103F35F179E-3704-000004D13DD5A59C_zpsdbbe8c8b.jpg

D8AEF33D-C508-4640-8AAD-79CC04E418B1-3704-000004D2A5EB873B_zps96888740.jpg

Thank you for looking and any responses are appreciated. These "abnormalities" may be normal and i am just not aware about them.

Cigars are meant to be smoked ! Smoke one