Cuba & North Korea - Missile Crisis

I'm skeptical. NK already has tons of weapons closeby from China. Why go to Cuba? Why would Cuba get involved? If anything their relationship with the US stands to warm up. Is this some "war mongering" to keep things status quo? Once the Castro's die off what of the "old guard" is left to keep the status quo in Cuba. Sounds fishy to me.

Frank,

I don't think it's produced in Cuba. I think Cuba was the "middle man" in this situation. Whatever it is seems to have been picked up in Cuba and intercepted on it's way to NK. It may be Cuba is 100% free of guilt and it just happened to pass thru their port without their knowledge etc. No way to know.

There is no evidence of the ship being in Cuba.

"arrive in Balboa, Panama, on May 31.

It crossed through the Panama Canal the following day.

"And then we lose track of it, there's no AIS information,"

"What's been said by the Panamanian authorities is consistent with the observations, but
we haven't been able to verify by 'eyes-on' the arrival in Cuba,"

There was no confirmation of its arrival in Havana
. The ship then popped up again in Cristobal, Panama, on July 12.

From CNN:

Investigators spotted the boat going through the Panama Canal to Havana and then back toward the canal, according to two senior U.S. officials who said the United States had been tracking the ship along with the Panamanians for some time.

Another senior U.S. official said the United States had been tracking the ship for several days and knew that Panamanian authorities were going to stop it.

State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell declined to describe U.S. interactions with Panama concerning the ship but noted that the vessel has a checkered past connected with drug smuggling.

"Public reports from 2010 and also a U.N. panel of experts report from 2012 cite this history," he said Tuesday. "So this vessel has a well-known history in this regard."

Cuban officials have not responded to requests for comment.

Cuban state media reported late last month that North Korean army Chief of Staff Gen. Kim Kyok Sik visited the island and had high-level meetings, including one with Cuban leader Raul Castro.

In the United States, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Florida, described the incident as "serious and alarming" and a "wakeup call" for the Obama administration to avoid normalizing U.S. relations with Cuba.

That is such a load of BS. There is probably not an ounce of truth in this "news report".

This is a sad times we are living in, where news and people's opinion can be manipulated so easily.

Can't help to think of the movie Wag the dog when I see reports like these.

To all of you citizens of the US including myself, please don't hold your breath for the embargo to ever end in our lifetime. No matter the circumstance, it will remain in place as it has for generations before us because it is more convenient to keep it in effect. Just my honest opinion, not trying to be a pessimist.

That is such a load of BS. There is probably not an ounce of truth in this "news report".

This is a sad times we are living in, where news and people's opinion can be manipulated so easily.

Can't help to think of the movie Wag the dog when I see reports like these.

While the whole news article may not be 100% correct at this time until more information surfaces, what makes you say nothing in it is true? Just curious :)

If the media is reporting it it must be true (-:

does this mean we will start getting thinner ring gauge Cigarsinnocent.gif

it is extremely hard to believe anything one reads these days. our local paper (though may i say that when i wrote a column for them, it was, of course, true in every respect!!) recently reported that the coach of one of our major teams in brizzy had had his contract extended by a further two years. it gave legitimate and sensible reasons and quoted club officials, including the club chairman. who happens to be a good mate of mine. we were chatting last night and i mentioned it. complete fabrication. no extension yet given. no quotes accurate. he had not even been approached by anyone from the paper for a comment. not a word true. utterly disgraceful and dishonest.

he says that this happens regularly. he just doesn't take any notice of the press these day. and not that he would comment, i suspect he doesn't have a great deal of respect for the fifth estate.

i remember years back when a local team was up for a key semi-final and the paper reported an important player was out for the game, having been injured at training. i was talking to a club official and mentioned this and asked how it would impact. he knew nothing of it. i explained that the report said the player had been forced to leave training early. a moment of silence. the response? "to take a piss".

the reputation of journos is in the toilet and no one to blame but themselves.

It's a moving story, that's for sure, but Sky News (liar.gif ?) reported half an hour ago:

"The contraband munitions were hidden under thousands of bags labelled "Cuban Raw Sugar", Panama said.

Cuba claimed ownership in a statement on state television, saying the Soviet-era missile system parts were to be repaired and returned - without mentioning where they were being sent."

Who knows what the motivation might be. Kindred spirits, perhaps, or maybe Cuba will do anything for hard currency at the moment.

Some added context. Apparently, the US government has lifted the ban on "domestic propaganda".

Source here. Never heard of the site myself, so if anyone can provide another source, please do so.

I'm skeptical. NK already has tons of weapons closeby from China. Why go to Cuba? Why would Cuba get involved? If anything their relationship with the US stands to warm up. Is this some "war mongering" to keep things status quo? Once the Castro's die off what of the "old guard" is left to keep the status quo in Cuba. Sounds fishy to me.

Frank,

I confess : it was all a well planned plan that I concocted some time ago to earn me some cigar money on the side while in Havana - had to spend some dough on Coke, sandwiches and cigars for my NK guys, eat Chinese food in Havana, organize fake cigars for the Chinese so the Cubans could profit as well, find a ship and some sugar bags - all seemed to work well ....

http://flyingcigar.d...-faked-chinese/

and now my commission is lost in Panama potty.gif

Hate it !

Screw them - No more business deals with 'em guys.

post-4742-0-26278600-1374070464_thumb.jp

I was selling them this :

post-4742-0-83433600-1374070538_thumb.jp

See :

http://flyingcigar.de/travel-cigars/200903-xi-fdh-museo-del-aire/

Nino

Frank,

I confess : it was all a well planned plan that I concocted some time ago to earn me some cigar money on the side while in Havana - had to spend some dough on Coke, sandwiches and cigars for my NK guys, eat Chinese food in Havana, organize fake cigars for the Chinese so the Cubans could profit as well, find a ship and some sugar bags - all seemed to work well ....

:lol: The truth comes out!! This was definitely the work of a crafty retiree. :P Enjoy your stay at the other end of the island. I will of course offer my cigar storage services. Send your collection to me marked "castanets". I will hold on to them one by one while they burn.

I guess that little Iran/Contra incident back in the 80's has been swept under the carpet. Also that little incident back in 2001 when our Chineese friends forced down a Navy P3 aircraft on their soil and held the crew for some time for "debriefing". Yet they still get most favored nation status. The only way the embargo will come down sooner then later is when the People wake up and demand it to happen. I guess too much money is being made keeping it on life support.