RyJ Consistancy

Since RyJ consistency keeps coming up in threads and the recent review that Rob and Ken did I was curious: What do you think is the most consistent RyJ box you can get today (current production)?

I ask because I had a good RyJ PC last night and loved the flavor profile. Having said that there were parts of it that echoed Ken's part of the recent review (dirty, charred, etc). If the whole cigar was the cherry, stewed fruits and chocolate I got for the most part I would buy a box right now.

For some reason I never experienced any of the RyJ-ish flavors from my short churchills. It wasn't until I smoked the mystery cigar #1 recently, that I found out what a good RyJ can be, so if I can get that all the time I would buy a box also. Unfortunately, also as per the exb 4 review, it seems there's no way you can get a 100% good box.

For some reason I never experienced any of the RyJ-ish flavors from my short churchills. It wasn't until I smoked the mystery cigar #1 recently, that I found out what a good RyJ can be, so if I can get that all the time I would buy a box also. Unfortunately, also as per the exb 4 review, it seems there's no way you can get a 100% good box.

I've had the same exact experience with the short churchills so it was a surprise to finally get the flavour profile Rob has been speaking about in the PC (if only bits and pieces of it).

Short Churchill’s have been hit and miss in previous years. As Rob stated many times, when you find a box with a nice sheet on them, they meet potential. Personally I love them and will always grab a nice HQ or PSP box when available. Churchill’s have been horrific in recent years, as have their consistence on most of their standard product lines. (except for Cazzy which have been great across the board) One area they have right are the EL's starting with the 04 Hermosa’s, 07 Escudos and 10 Dukes, all excellent and worth buying if you can find. I haven't tried the GR Churchill, not sure if anyone has feedback on those.. I have a soft spot for RJ as its the marca that started me on Cubans 5 years ago... Wow 5 years and a lot of $$$$$$$ ago... party.gif They just need to eliminate about 50% of the line an focus on quality again, starting with that new factory, I heard its almost ready. :lookaround:

Up until the beginning of this year the only RyJ I consider buying anymore are the short churchills. I'm just finishing my second box of them (the first was 2011 and this box was definitely 2012) and they've been anything but consistent. The 2 boxes have differed massively but so have almost every stick within each box, some have been magnificent, but just as many have been dreadful. I've only recently discovered HdM Epi 2 and since I have I can't see myself going back to RyJ (or to any other marca really) for a robusto. Sadly though, that means that there's no draw to RyJ for me any more, which I feel is a real shame.

I got some great HQ boxes of R+J the other month, The PC's and SC's, both such amazing cigars. Nothing at all like previous boxes I had bought. In fact I'd almost given up completely on R+J completely, Now I'm glad I never.

Because of the consistency issues I do think though you HAVE to pick up HQ or PSP boxes though.

I'm with El Presidente...the only RyJs that I think are consistent in construction and taste are the Cazadores and the Wide Churchill. The rest of the marca is seriously touch and go.

Can't say enough great thing about recent Cazadores. They have been delightful, if not a little strong for my taste. They are raw meat and potatoes types of cigars. They deserve a spot in everyone's humidor. They have been perfectly rolled as well. Zero draw issues and no wind tunnels. Someone is giving this line some love.

I got some great HQ boxes of R+J the other month, The PC's and SC's, both such amazing cigars. Nothing at all like previous boxes I had bought. In fact I'd almost given up completely on R+J completely, Now I'm glad I never.

Because of the consistency issues I do think though you HAVE to pick up HQ or PSP boxes though.

Agree with this, have to see or get someone you trust to pick for you but had some lovely PC, ex 4 recently add those two to the cazzies and wides and that is a good solid base to grow from hopefully