I have never tried any cigar from the Vegas Robaina or the San Cristobal de la Habana marcas.

1. Which cigar within each brand do you recommend?

2. And which brand do you prefer over the other?

thanks

VR - VR XV Anniver Canada RE. It's really the only VR that I've tried and loved every sample. However....gasp....I haven't tried the VR piramide before actually.

SCDLH - La Fuerza. Again, like these over all others, but again, haven't tried the La Punta piramide yet. I have no idea why - these are basically the only two piramides I haven't delved into.

Which prefered? Right now, SCDLH. More of them just hit closer to the mark for me.

1. VR Unicos and the SCdlH La Punta. Close second for the El Principe.

2. Depends - the La Punta is a great afternoon smoke / first cigar of the day. The Unicos is more of an evening smoke. I definitely smoke more of the La Punta, but they are both good cigars.

I love the VR Familiar, and aged Don Alejandro, and I really like the rest of the VR lineup including the regionals that I've had.

I would also cast a heavy vote for the SCdlH El Principe.

I smoke many of both of these marcas, and if you add Allones, they pretty much make up the bulk of my cabinet.

I'm a fan of the VR Famosos and Clasicos, but have found they require a few years to come around. I've also enjoyed the Unicos - at one time another member referred to them as (light) chocolate brownies, which I agree with. Not had a great DA.

Not the biggest San Cristobal fan, though I don't mind the El Principe - many love them, I've found them to be decent, though usually a bit underfilled.

Have fun smile.png

Just bought a box of VR Unicos. Box is from May '12. This is the only cigar of either brand that I have had, but I think it is delicious. Reminds me of a Siglo VI, but with a Monte kick. I didn't find it spicy at all, but perhaps because of its youth, I could definitely feel the nicotine. I'm drooling at the thought of what this cigar will become... Worth a try for sure

IMHO for these two marcas it's a matter of box quality. In my experience the most reliable is the El Principe.

The Famosos is a great hermoso 4, but as Rob pointed out on several occasions it's not a cigar you can purchase blind these days.

In the two lines the only cigar that I would never purchase is the El Morro; all the singles that I have tested were very weak.

I have really enjoyed the Principes with San Cristobal and also I picked up a box of Mercaderes which were a La Casa release and can still be found. Both have been excellent

As for VR, I really enjoy the Famosos. If you can find some with some age on them, they are really enjoyable. I find them to have a nice darkness to them with some strong dark coffee flavors that for me go very well after a meal.

I like the Vegas Robaina Unicos very much. Fantastic cigars, recent boxes seem dark and excellent.

For the San Cristobal de la Habana, I prefer the La Fuerza. The last box I got had light, rubbery wrappers. Smoked great ROTT, had a sick period, now are even better.

For what it's worth. Nice to see these less-than-popular marcas discussed.

For me I've struggled with VR but had a great one the other day - the cigar equivalent of double espresso with no sugar and very dark (80-90% cocoa) chocolate. The San Cristobal is more like normal dark chocolate and a bit of leather

I have had much more experience with Robaina. I am not a #2 fan but of all #2 vitolas I prefer the Unicos.

My go to Robainas are Famosos and Classicos. Neither are super duper stand out cigars but for me just regular rotation sticks.

I have had mixed results with San Cristobal but there are fans

SCdH El Principle is great and best of that line I think.

VR's I have only had the Familar which I liked.

Good cigars, sometimes great and a nice change of pace.

For the VRs, I am most acquainted with the Unicos, Clasicos, and Don Alejandros. In general, to my palate they tend to be on the dry, medium, reserved, and when good, a tasty, sophisticated alternative to richer or more-in-your-face profiles. When not so good, they can be a bit too dry and boring. The Don Alejandros when good, are a real treat and have more going on in terms of the evolution of flavors while smoking than the other two. For SCdH, I have smoked several Mercaderes (and the 2009 O'Riely's-- not as good as the hype, IMO) though I have some boxes of others I haven't tried yet. I like the Mercaderes-- very different profile than most others, closest to Por Larrangaga. The ones i've had are consistent, and beautiful to behold. Can't say they are the best value, but they are tasty.