Anybody have any burn issues with Montecristo 520?

I cracked a box of 520s yesterday that I recently purchased but had left in my humidor for the requisite 30 day adjustment period after I received them. I smoked one with a buddy and each of our cigars exhibited some pretty bad burn issues. The cigars had no draw problems, but once lit it seemed difficult to get a good amount of smoke on the draw. Both cigars burned unevenly with the binder and wrapper smoking much faster than the filler. This led to some tunneling on my cigar and I was constantly trying to correct the burn from beginning the end. And, because of the uneven burning, which made it difficult to get a good draw of smoke, we were both puffing too frequently on the cigars, which basically led to acrid and bitter flavors. Every once in awhile I'd get a good puff and could sense some good flavors but for the most part this was an extremely disappointing experience for a cigar I had such high hopes for. I bought two boxes of these things but now I'm a bit concerned about quality.

I know some of you will say the cigars were over humidified and probably too moist, but I keep my humidor in the 63-65 range, and have had no other such problems with other cigars kept in my humidor. In fact, I have not had a Havana smoke this poorly in quite a long time.

I'd like to hear from others on this. Should I be concerned that two cigars from this box exhibited nearly the exact same burn issues, or is this something that will improve by just letting the cigars sit for another few months?

This is one of my pet peeves about EL cigars in general. I, and others often refer to them as being made with "flame proof" wrappers. Having said that, if you 'prepare' the cigar properly there can be some great experiences had.

Coincidently, I had a 520 yesterday - and had it dry boxed since Friday (2 days ago). It smoked great and needed 2 minor touch ups.

I have not had any burn issues with the few I have smoked. Let me know if you need to have any tested.

In my reviews of any young cigars (less than 18 months from boxing) I make a point of avoiding judging the burn. Time sorts it all out 90% of the time. I can accellarate the chance of a better burn by dry boxing.

If I can make an analogy. You draft 5 players into a NFL team. Wrapper, Binder, Seco, Volado, Ligero. They are all 1st draft picks, or top end free agents. it will still take them 2-3 years to get their act together although you will have many experiences of brilliance in the interim. Consistency and teamwork will be lacking.

Thanks for the responses. I figured that time and proper conditions will iron out these problems. The draw on both cigars was just fine so they seemed to be well-constructed. I'll let these sit for a few months, then dry box one for a few days and see how it goes.

Which would be the box code?

The box is in my coolerdor in the basement. I was down there earlier today and won't have time to get back down there today. I'll check the box code and post it here when I get down there next.

Any cigar that won't even burn without 4 years of laying them down will NEVER be on my to-buy list. That must be a joke! :rolleyes:

Smoked 5 of them from 4 different boxes. All burned perfectly. Just give them time, and, as you said, don't over humidify them.

Next time try dry boxing them even for a day. I dry boxed mine for a day after getting them the night before and burned perfectly..

Sitting in a humi for a month is good, but dry boxing will help take care of the excess moisture that would have taken months to burn off sitting in a humi.

They are new cigars, give them 4+ years for the burn to start to even out, the oils have to move through al the different layers still

Must be just me, but I don't have the time or money to be putting boxes of cigars down for 4+ years or so. However I will put aside one or two smokes from a box to be smoked years latter.

We smoked them yesterday out of our Coleman Cooler, 65/65, outside on a cool sunny day in a swimming pool :-). So there could not be any more humidity variations here LOL!

We had to correct the burn a few times but overall it was pretty consistent. My biggest problem is I know I have to much humidity when I have to relight a lot. Also too much humidity when you drop the thing in the water.

Had no problems with the one I smoked this afternoon. In fact, I kept thinking that the burn was even and construction near perfect. Wow, what a great tasting cigar, even when young. Can't wait to see what even as little as a few months of age will do. Could become legendary!