coolest thing ever

woke up yesterday and walked out onto the balcony (yes, next time i'll remember shorts). the creek is up and flowing seriously strongly but not in full flood mode.

just below me, happily swimming about was a large platypus. they are the coolest animals in history.

went for a camera but it was gone by the time i got back.

i had heard that there were once platypus (is the plural platypusses or platypi?) in the creek but never met anyone who had seen one.

in the past, several times, i thought that what was happening suggested that they were there - they snuffle about banks looking for food, usually just under the surface. once, one of these almost-sightings turn out to be a six foot brown snake (hey, they look alike).

i saw one once in the blue mountains when i was trout fishing. i was on a bank stationary - as were the fish - and one started snuffling next to my feet. did so for 20 minutes. i stood stone still and it never saw me.

coolest things ever.

Thats pretty awesome, Dont think I've seen one in the wild. I have a Koala that lives in one of my gumtree's in the backyard, I think thats pretty damn awesome.

There is a property where I have hunted in Victoria since I was a young boy with the old man. Back then we use to sit on the bank of the river and watch for hours a small family of platypus go about there daily duties.

40 years on the family is still going strong and to have the opportunity to see one of Australia's greatest

creatures in its own habitat rather than through a glass window is so cool! 2thumbs.gif

I thought you were going to write about your new hat. I was wondering what the 'P' stood for. Platypus? Very cool. Our urban wildlife consists of squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, small birds and the occasional hawk.

this definitely sounds like one of those special moments in life and i believe one very important part of living a happy life is recognizing such moments.... fancy a cigar?

These are the times that makes me glad I live in Australia.

Though there is no universally accepted plural of platypus, since it is derived from Greek, the plural form should be platypodes. Then again, platypuses and platypus are generally accepted.

They look so cute until you try to pick one up that is injured and they spike you with that poisonous spur on the back foot lol3.gif

....and Koalas....try to move one that is injured on a road....go back and collect your entrails. rotfl.gif

Australia....look and don't touch!

They look so cute until you try to pick one up that is injured and they spike you with that poisonous spur on the back foot lol3.gif

....and Koalas....try to move one that is injured on a road....go back and collect your entrails. rotfl.gif

well thank you, david attenborough!

Does that include the women down under? :)

LOL. :clap::lol::lmao:

Does that include the women down under? smile.png

He's not allowed to answer that one.... :whip::lookaround::hole:

"Go home nature, you were probably so high when you made these you're not sober yet."

Mwwaaaw. They are pretty cute. I like to think of them as natures leftovers

I like echidnas too. The way they sort of wobble while they walk.

Look, dont touch sums up Aus perfectly, including some of our women

Also, the plural of Platypus is Platypus

baby-platypus.jpg