Cigars for guests

Alright?

I'm planning my 30th birthday bash for the 23rd of Feb. There's a good mate of mine turning 31 on the same day, there's a bloke turning 32 the day before, a bloke turning 31 then too and a bloke turning 32 on the 24th, so it's always a big deal and someone usually takes their turn in hosting a hootenanny.

Seeing as I'm hitting a little milestone it's up to me this time around to put on a good show.

Now I've got a couple of Cohiba 1966's that I'll be strutting around with but I want to have some cigars on hand that others can smoke as well. Not everyone will be on board with the idea so I won't need many, maybe four or five, 10 to 20 bucks each in value I guess, I dunno, help me out here.

And I guess they'd need to be mild and not too big, don't want people getting sick of them

and just turfing them out when I'm not looking.

A question that will most likely be asked is "Are these Cubans?" So I guess they should be, unless

I can just lie.........

Thanks for your input.

"Never bring out your best wine at a party."

Bring out the Quinteros and you wont feel bad when they get tossed 1/3 of the way through,

I'd hate to see you collecting 4 inch Monti #2's to re-smoke later after the party is over.

Plus they will be smokin' cubans!

Hdm epi 1s are a great choice IMO and theyre not that expensive or trini reyes all of my non-cigar smoking friends like the reyes

I'd suggest something that is relatively short and fat. Less chance of overheating and being tossed halfway.

I'd give them a quality smoke though, as it's a special occasion. You might even convert a few!

I think a Monte PE or a HDM petit robusto would do nicely.

I have had this before, Some of my friends after finding out about my cigar hobby asked if they could share a few of my smokes, i wasnt that convinced so I got in some RyJ No.2 tubos that they attempted to smoke.

This happens to me all the time and I've found that ANYTHING will suffice. I realize that many of you probably have a few friends who want to have a cigar now and then and they may know a thing or two about cigars and actually like them as they smoke them..Those are the ones who should get a Cuban and yes, you may convert a friend or two. Those are the ones who should smoke a:

HDM Palmas Extra

Fonseca Delicias

Cuaba Divinos

Romeo y Julieta Cedros Deluxe No 2

Only just a few suggestions... There are many... A Cuban under $20 CDN can be fine

But...I rarely do see a buddy finish a cigar and yes, its a waste to give them a nicely aged Cuban only to see half of it sitting in an ashtray. There are times when I notice that my friends having a cigar aren't even really enjoying it, they simply don't want to be left out. For them its time for a smaller ring gauge Non-Cuban Montecristo. They go over very nicely, they don't cost a lot and everyone goes home happy.

I guess it depends on how interested they are. If they are actually keen on learning about cigars and possibly taking it up as a hobby

then I would happily give them something good, who knows, if they take it up they may return the favour. Unfortunately most of my friends are only in it for the novelty and seem to toss them after not even halfway.

Great response and a lot to choose from here.

The main thing I'm getting here though is a lot of people can't finish a full cigar regardless of it's length.

I was a little skeptical of the little 4 inch jobs cause they'd be over in a flash, however........ they may be the way to go.

I was thinking of getting some Monte 4's for those who think they have the time.

Or something along those lines.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far peace.gif

A petit robusto or minuto should last approx. around 45 mins IMO. Any faster than that and you may as well smoke a cigarette as it will taste like... well, not very good.

Those who don't smoke cigars tend to smoke too quickly, particularly if they smoke or have smoked cigarettes. I watched a mate smoke a Monte Edmundo in about 30 minutes. Can't have been nice.

Surprised no one has said RASS. Good quality. Not too expensive. Can always share that u have experience outside what the general public is familiar with - cohiba, monte, and even RyJ

That's my opinion though. Whatever u pick u can't worry too much about it being thrown out early. It may very well get tossed if they don't have too much experience. But hey you'll be smoking the 1966 so enjoy that.

What if the guy reaches for one of your Cohibas? I had this experience during New Years, couldn't say no to him, and he left it behind not even quarter through. That got me so pissed off didnt want to see the guy the next couple of days.

I hate to see half a beautiful steak left on a plate or a half inch burned off a great cigar left for dead in an ashtray.

There is a huge difference in the disposal of a bad tasting cigar and the disposal of a cigar by a person with bad taste! People who want to try a great cigar can take a puff off mine. Sharing cigars with friends in an intimate affair and it is not my fault if the non-cigar enthusiast crowd does not know its manners or etiquette! Sorry, it is like throwing your wife's fine crystal into the fireplace after a toast or watching some moron use your Snap-on Torque wrench as a hammer!

The sooner that the uneducated understand that a fine cigar is a thing of beauty to be appreciated, the faster they will be on the road to enjoying them for themselves. First things first, I say! Teach your friends what a fine cigar is to an enthusiast first and you may further their education. Give them a cigar to mash in an ashtray and they will be no wiser from the event!!! You will simply be out one cigar. Cheers.

-Piggy

Went to my mate Jase's 27th b'day party and he decided to put out a box of CoRos (we smoked a Cohiba DC instead! lol3.gif ). Oh the humanity! Halfway through the night and I see a dozen CoRos not even half smoked (some barely 1cm gone) littering the balcony. Felt sorry for Jase that so many went to waste... so I went and nubbed 4 later that night! whistle.gif

Went to my mate Jase's 27th b'day party and he decided to put out a box of CoRos (we smoked a Cohiba DC instead! lol3.gif ). Oh the humanity! Halfway through the night and I see a dozen CoRos not even half smoked (some barely 1cm gone) littering the balcony. Felt sorry for Jase that so many went to waste... so I went and nubbed 4 later that night! whistle.gif

Meaning u went around collecting the waste, chopped both ends off and smoked em? Well done. Hate to see it all go to waste. :)

Meaning u went around collecting the waste, chopped both ends off and smoked em? Well done. Hate to see it all go to waste. smile.png

Hey! I may dress and rant like the local hob, but that doesn't mean I am one!! biggrin.png I took the 4 fresh from the box!! innocent.gif

Hi Reevsy,

It's a party, not a herf, whereas BOTL know how to combine the two, most first timers don't...I think you'd be wasting precious smokes on the occasional smoker with CC's...as a previous poster has said it's heartbreaking to see the waste after a party.

Personally for even special occasions I stock a small humi with some recommended NC's & let those who want a cuban ask!...at least they're interested enough to know there's a difference.

Have a great time...go easy...party.gif .

"Never bring out your best wine at a party."

Bring out the Quinteros and you wont feel bad when they get tossed 1/3 of the way through,

I'd hate to see you collecting 4 inch Monti #2's to re-smoke later after the party is over.

Plus they will be smokin' cubans!

This... and if they like them and you have a couple left over, you can give one to take home you generous fellow you.

Shlomo's idea of the tube is great also... RyJ #3 Tubo is very reasonable.

Wow this really took off! Sorry I haven't been able to comment earlier, I've been flat chat but thanks everyone for your input.

The main thing I'm getting here is to be prepared to cop a loss and I am purely for the gesture of

offering purely because I will be smoking all night. So with that said, I have gone with a five pack of R&J No.3's.

And I think to start off with I won't offer them on a silver platter but if people ask then they are there.

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions, I'm new here and to be honest I didn't expect such a friendly

and helpfull response, thank you all for the friendly welcome!!! thumbsup.gif

Now to decide on what sort of dips should go with the chips!