NHL Back on the ice.......Finally

Great to see the NHL resolve their issues and put the game back on the ice where it needs to be. Should make for a really interesting stretch of exciting hockey down the stretch to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Definately a smoke day for this cat...........Monte GE.

Favorites for the Cup???

Oilers i think so!

Go Oilers!

JD

Meh.

First off, I'll believe it when I see it. There has been so much rhetoric by both sides in the media, and even within each side of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing, that I'm taking this announcement with a spoonful of salt.

Also, if this league wants to even THINK about having the fans come back with as much passion as they did previously, the "board of governors"-slash-owners absolutely have to cut off the head of the snake, and fire Gary Bettman. Mr. Buttman (throwout to fans of "Bon Cop, Bad Cop") absolutely needs to be put out to pasture. While he's responsible for lots of U.S. expansion (which, it can be argued, was already happening, and would have happened regardless of Bettman's plans), he's also extremely responsible for so many negatives that have beset the league in recent years.

He's too arrogant and self-conceited to admit any mistakes or faults in policies that he's brought about, so it's up to the Board to oust him. Without that, I don't think that true fans of the game can take the league seriously again, and their passion will continue to remain fickle.

In the meantime, we have the NFL. :D

Bettman acts on behalf of the owners. The nhl is a corporation owners are the stock holders, same as the pa just another corporation...

You know, I'd love the ice hockey season to actually start as the NFL Playoffs are starting, and end the season in mid Baseball season.

Really take advantage of the black hole of professional sports scheduling during march-june, and then do the playoffs as baseball is getting underway.

I could care less. I hope no one goes to the games and hurts the league and the players financially. I'm looking forward to the Blue Jays TBH.

X 2 Frank.Actually who won in the Greed vs.Greed game?I watch my grandkids play hockey,much more fun and so much cheaper.

If I am being honest, didn't miss the league at all! Might be different once the NFL is over.

As for Bettman, would be surprised to see him go anywhere. At the end of the day, his bosses are the owners and they have done very well under his tenure. Will take a couple of years to see who won this latest battle but I think he will not be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

I could care less. I hope no one goes to the games and hurts the league and the players financially. I'm looking forward to the Blue Jays TBH.

Oh Yeah - I'm already counting down the days to Spring Training and Opening Day - Going to need to get to Toronto to see some games this year at the dome!

GO JAYS GO!

I think it's funny how many Canadians forget that Bettman was at the helm when Winnipeg got its team back, when Ottawa didn't move, etc. There are a lot of teams out there on both sides of the border who can thank Bettman for their existence. But most Canadians don't want to think about their teams like that. They just want to hate Bettman because it's so easy to do.

I'm ambivalent about this season. Anything less than a full season is weak. The Stanley Cup should be awarded this year with an asterisk in the book.

Looking forward to next season already.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Jays. I dunno. Offseason champs rarely translate to world series rings these days. I agree about Roids. Several eyebrow-raisers on the roster. Wish you guys well though, except when playing my A's.

As far as hockey goes....

Let's go Sabres. Down with the Bruins! (hard to take the Ontario teams seriously).

:lol:

But most Canadians don't want to think about their teams like that. They just want to hate Bettman because it's so easy to do.

You make a valid point. We hate him because he makes it so easy.

The guy is a moron and hopefully his employed days are numbered.

As a long time player and fan of the sport I am afraid of the long term repercusion this will deal the league, I dont want to have to watch Fox throw out glow in the dark pucks or watch my beloved sport on a hunting channel as was the past. I'm glad hockey is back and a 48 game season seems odd and a stanley cup champion this year will most certainly have an asterisk after their name but atleast it means the league is back and if anything it'll b playoff hockey all the way since basically every game your fighting for first place and first seed. Should b interesting, Im just glad its back. Oh and GO WINGS!!!!!!!!

I could truly care less if there was an NHL season this year. I was a peripheral NHL fan to being with, but with the debacle the negotiations have become...I'm now completely ambivalent. That said...I wouldn't mind seeing the Kings skate off with the Stanley Cup again this year.

Bettman acts on behalf of the owners. The nhl is a corporation owners are the stock holders, same as the pa just another corporation...

Exactly. And this is the lens which people need to view the situation through. I tuned into a really great panel discussion on the radio that included Don Cherry, Mackenzie, and some others who escape me now and there were a number of key points made:

- Bettman has been very good for owners

- league revenues surged after the last lockout

- the game would be better if there was a shorter regular and playoff season, less teams, and bigger ice surface....but all of these things chip away at profits and since it's a business that's unacceptable

I gave up on "pro" sports long ago when I realized that sport and fans were a nearly irrelavent part of the equation. Like everything else, they've become monetized. Investing time, emotions, hope etal to "my team" seems a ridiculous proposition when, as Diamonddog correctly points out, it's a corporation, plain and simple. Now, if I'm invested as a shareholder/future pensioner, I would have to applaud organizations like the Toronto Maple Leafs who, decade after decade, sell out their games while furnishing a team whose upmost horizon might be to crack into the playoffs, but never win a cup.

I don't think a 48 game season is going to be all that bad. There has been a lot of talk in recent years about the current season being too long and reverting it back to 60 games. Players can stay healthier for the playoffs, games count more, etc. etc. I'm glad it's back and everyone can get back to doing what they are paid to do - ENTERTAIN US.