what did santa bring you

Yet another smart man! Its kind of gross how much Christmas has been and becomes more every year all about the gifts. Even birthdays...kids I understand, kind of, whats the point of gift giving at all? Where did this nonsense tradition even come from?

Just a touch of inner scrooge here obviously, but the emphasis on gifts and the commercialization of both x-mas and birthdays is something I just roll my eyes to.

end rant/

Didn't take long to take yet another thread that was more about sharing experiences and family fun to turning it to a debate/ personal rant. Brutal.

Perhaps start your own thread so you can debate and let those who actually enjoy the holiday have some fun.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No presents this year, just plenty of laughts and smiles watching my three year old daughter enjoy her first 'real' Christmas. Later that day we wen to my aunt's house for a big get together and did secret santa for the 12 grandkids in the family, ages 1-12, one word: anarchy. Good times....

We celebrated xmas over 3 days for my son. He opened a few presents and then played with them. We waited for him to want to open more presents and then opened more.

This is his first Xmas that he understands about presents. The look of anticipation was priceless. The happiness when he opened his fire truck or police car set. The hours after that playing with him. Just pure fun.

The laughter after watching him open a present with clothes and saying another present. Him saying thank you after every present he opens. Just beautiful.

I, also, like to spoil my family during the holidays. Having everyone around, eating, drinking, laughing, sharing time, stories, presents and love.

I, too, take offense to those who just look to bring down a thread for what it was intended to be, for their personal rants. Sometimes, saying nothing is the best thing to do.

This is his first Xmas that he understands about presents.

Him saying thank you after every present he opens.

Same here A.

It started to click about a week ago that Santa was coming.

After all was said and done, my wife and I were in the kitchen preparing dinner while he was playing with his toys in the family room, and from the room we hear "thank you bring me toys Santa". Really sweet.

He also decided that he needed to give his younger brother a toy, so he gave him his fire truck. Pretty good day.

Wife and I haven't done "presents" in a while, but this is the first holiday we've spent without extended family in a while, and it was nice to grill up some steaks, bake some gorgonzola mac & cheese, saute some asparagus, and (day prior) prepare an oreo cheesecake together. Think this may be a new Christmas dinner tradition...

Hope you get better bro.

Thanks for the kind words. Day 4 of misery but beginning to mend.

In our home we usually start celebrating on Christmas eve by attending to the spiritual dimension of the season, followed by food, drink and merriment. This year my flu trumped tradition. However, the best present I got was to see both my adult sons being willing to subject their bodies to the possibility of contagion and coming over to spend the evening with their mother.

They were back at noon again on Christmas Day for gifting and turkey. While I lay in bed with fever induced visions of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, I could hear Bing's Christmas songs playing in the living room, and the quiet banter of a board game while the boys and my wife waited for the bird to roast. From what I could gather it was a wonderful day. So I suppose I'm saying that the best Christmas gifts I got this year are the ones I got 27 and 24 years ago. They turned out to be princes.

Cheers to all and Merry Christmas.

Now I'm spent and need to find the Advil.

My wife and I decided not to exchange gifts this year... due to my job situation. I'm perfectly fine with that, and happy to just be blessed with the wife and family that I have.

However, I decided that my wife shouldn't get short changed... since her birthday is on the 24th. I got her some earrings and pendant. I also spent half the day cooking a nice meal for her.

The gifts are nice, but the holidays are truly about good food and family in my eyes.

DSC_0723_zps4a6b602f.jpg

DSC_0730_zps4c47ce57.jpg

DSC_0737_zpsebbecd75.jpg

DSC_0741_zpsb8b628f6.jpg

My wife and I decided not to exchange gifts this year... due to my job situation. I'm perfectly fine with that, and happy to just be blessed with the wife and family that I have.

However, I decided that my wife shouldn't get short changed... since her birthday is on the 24th. I got her some earrings and pendant. I also spent half the day cooking a nice meal for her.

The gifts are nice, but the holidays are truly about good food and family in my eyes.

WOW!!!! What a beautiful meal. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Those look like they should be in a magazine.

All the best to you in 2013 bro...

DSC_0723_zps4a6b602f.jpg

DSC_0730_zps4c47ce57.jpg

DSC_0737_zpsebbecd75.jpg

DSC_0741_zpsb8b628f6.jpg

Very nice, what you get?

The straight razor is made by DOVO, it's hollow ground. The strop is a tad wider than the blade, and a couple bars of shaving soap. I have been using a straight razor (uses disposable razor blades) I picked up from the barber shop a few years ago after getting tired of the expensive replacement blades on modern day razors (like MACH 3). So having a real straight razor is a new thing for me, I watched a couple videos on youtube on how to strop the blade LOL Shaves real nice, I'm happy with it.

The straight razor is made by DOVO, it's hollow ground. The strop is a tad wider than the blade, and a couple bars of shaving soap. I have been using a straight razor (uses disposable razor blades) I picked up from the barber shop a few years ago after getting tired of the expensive replacement blades on modern day razors (like MACH 3). So having a real straight razor is a new thing for me, I watched a couple videos on youtube on how to strop the blade LOL Shaves real nice, I'm happy with it.

Very nice, i have a dovo half hollow myself and love it. Although im positive a closer shave cannot be gotten without a feather blade and an adjustable safety razor. To each his own though

A good tip would be to buy a cheaper second strop to use with some abrasive strop pastes to keep the edge fresh and polished.

Great gifts and i wish you all the best with it.

A four year old boy busting into the room at 3AM ready to open presents. Man was he excited, finally gave in at 5AM after a dozen, "How many more minutes Daddy?" Nothing like youngsters to make Christmas special!

+1, Wife and I had our first child this year back in April, he was born 10 weeks Premature and spent that time in the NICU at a tremendous Boston Hospital.. He is doing great now, needless to say it has been the most special of holidays seasons for us.love.gif

So my present to myself finally came in...

CjKMfl.jpg

A6cYDl.jpg

Yes, they smell amazing and yes they are that dark and oily in person. I asked for something specific (a fresh box with all those qualities) and boy did I get it.

I also got a killer Ramon Allones shirt and 5 great looking sticks from Jace in the mail as well. Pretty stoked about the hoyo bananza and punch Portugal re he sent me.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Got a full box of Cohiba GRs! Was so thrilled.

Also got an incredible leather jacket.

Was a great Christmas not only for the extravegant gifts but for time with the family