Do you like doing it indoors or out?

I think the best cigar experience of Havana was the lunch on the Terrace at 309 Prado with the Aussie/Canadian/German and US mates. Long Lunch, great food, good cigars (some great), great wine. It is not hard to select great wine off the menu when you have one of Australias great wine makers in Gary Farr sitting next to you lol3.gif

Cigar Lounges however leave me cold in the main. The leather chairs are nice, the ambience can be great (Stanza in Boston was great....but more "pub feel" than cigar lounge"). Yet, I feel a tad restrained and claustrophobic. At best you are talking with your mates on the lounge. At worst you are sitting opposite people you don't know and who show no interest in striking up a conversation.

I never really last long in a Cigar lounge. Speak to the owner, staff, buy a cigar....sit on the couch...squirm like a cat, order a coffee and a rum.....normally leave after 20 mins.

A little patio setting in a garden ...brilliance. Add a book and bottle of wine...even better. Add some friends...sensational. If you have a few options to account for weather....I wouldn't ever swap the experience for the call of leather.

I am Rob Ayala and I like to do it outdoors. wink.png

Had a great dinner at 309 on the patio and then a cigar. Great new restaurant and atmosphere. They also have a privately run cigar lounge with the best rum and scotch selection in Havana. Awesome place and I too prefer to do it outdoors.

I'm not usually a fan of outdoor smoking because I like dead calm to allow the smoke to waft around, over, under, and through my head and nose. Living on the Gulf Coast of Alabama (what Buffett calls the northern Carribean Coast), I am usually suffering in extreme heat and humidity and usually wind coming off of the Gulf. But I am lucky to be married to a woman who allows me to smoke inside in my leather chair.

I did have one orgasmic outside smoking experience in Cuba in October. Smoked a 1966 (and others) on the veranda of the Hotel Nacional. My dream experience and the number one thing I wanted to do on my (most likely) one and only trip to Cuba.

I was suprised and very disappointed to find that there are some places in Cuba that don't allow smoking inside. I never imagined I would have to deal with that in Cuba, of all places.

I personnaly prefer smoking outside. Nothing beats lighting a cuban, near a woodfire with night sky above you. You finish that with an Islay or a Grande Champagne and the day is perfect.

As much as I love cigars, it is very much a social thing for me. I'd much rather smoke with friends than alone. I've called several lounges home over the years but it was the mates not the leather that made it home.

Weather permitting nothing beats good friends, good smokes, good drink and great conversation OUTDOORS.

Most nights I smoke alone or with my wife outside our small shop in playa. Even alone it's priceless to smoke outside and people watch.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.630054,-87.069827

I only smoke outdoors be it on my deck in the summer or in my storage shed(mancave) in the wintertime. Since I have a 6 year old daughter, I do not expose her to my lit cigars and would never consider smoking in the house unless I had a custom smoking mancave built complete with a ventilation system. Anyway, I like to listen to my heavy rock music to accompany my cigar and need to do this outside where I will not torture the rest of my family,LOL. And I am perfectly OK with it.

For me it is contingent on the weather. When the Weather is great i love nothing more than a great patio, deck, backyard or whatever to smoke with some buds. Mainly my favorite locations are the deck at my cabin, or the patio at the lake.

But when the weather is not conducive, I really do enjoy smoking indoors. I also feel I taste the cigar better indoors and my cigars seem to last longer indoors. I like lounges if they are my only choice, but my favorite all time place to smoke indoors is Chamberlain's Steak House!!!! (Rush, you know what I'm talking about!) To me there are very few things better, more nostalgic and more enjoyable as a man, than being in a nice classy, old school, top notch steakhouse, with a great bar selection, a great menu, a great atmosphere, and great service, just being able to devour a Prime Steak and enjoy a fine cigar with some cocktails without ever having to leave the table and ambiance.

Perry's Steakhouse in champions area of Houston used to let you smoke cigars in the bar where they had full tables and dinner service. That was an epic place.

Chamberlains is now tops in my cigar/steak world.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.630039,-87.069762

Give me a warm south Okanagan evening, a bottle of wine, and a book - and let's not forget a trio of cigars for a wonderful outdoor extravaganza. Outside is best.

Then again it's cold in Western Canada right now and I would dearly love to have the option of smoking inside.

As much as I love to smoke outdoors there are so many variables that can ruin it. Living where I now do, theres about 14 months of the year where it is unplesantly cold. Those rare days were you can sit outside without fear of losing limbs to frostbite, there is then the risk of wind and rain and all of the other things that reap havoc on cigar enjoyment. Unfortunately smoking indoors here is generally not acceptable unless a private residence and my landlord doesn't swing that way, so I end up smoking outdoors by default.

Outdoors for me

Living in NC I sometimes have to succomb to the indoors b/c its just not comfortable outside even with my heater. Being that I am in FL two weeks a month, I get to smoke outside in places like SoBe, Tampa, Boca so I cant complain. Indoors is OK at best but nothing better than a breeze and a good cigar people watching......

Bart

I'm kinky, I like to do it anywhere... depending on the mood. :)

And yes, Prada 309 was great as was all the Nacional evenings listening to great music hanging out with good people. I also loved a couple nights on my own where I smoked some good cigars while reading a good book and drinking good rum. Just depends on the situation.

Perry's Steakhouse in champions area of Houston used to let you smoke cigars in the bar where they had full tables and dinner service. That was an epic place.

Chamberlains is now tops in my cigar/steak world.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.c...0039,-87.069762

I've been to a couple of different Perry's locations, and was never impressed. I've heard that Houston has really cracked down on indoor smoking.

I couldn't have looked out over the Libyan coastline while smoking a Trinidad Coloniales.......if I had been smoking INSIDE the ship ;) !

Truth be told, 80% of the time, I have a cigar outside here, and the omnipresent rain/wind makes me curse and wish for shelter. But the other 20% of the time, with some gentle sun, birds singing, engaging company... smoking outside is legendary!

You can't have great conversations with a cushy leather chair......

The window for smoking outside here is normally not great unless you have a mild summer (bugs) or winter (wind, cold).

So normally I am in my lazyboy smoking with a beverage. But I do enjoy the out of doors on a good day. Especially with the dogs.

Prefer outdoors anytime - but hard to do in the winter, so I'm happy to have a Cafe, a Pub and several restaurants ( plus the pharmacy ) where I can smoke indoors.

In Havana outdoors only - except for a tiny little place .... innocent.gif.