Habanos SA Releases Montecristo 520

Guest Robo

• 2 months later...

They are incredible. I enjoy them just as much as the legendary sublimes back in 08'. But i must agree, the packaging is horrible. They couldn't at least put in some thin pieces of cedar in the $200-$300 box of these!!

Fantastic cigar, better than the mge and sub glad i have a boatload of them, will age exceptionaly well

What makes them better? The fact that they cost twice as much as the MGE and the Sublimes did? How is that justified?

I haven't smoked mine yet. Although I'm no a fan of the ring gauge, I was sucked in my the look of it. It was sitting next to a box of BHK 54s and the wrapper looked every bit as good.

Looking forward to trying it but unlikely to buy a box (unless I am absolutely blown away). I only had one Monte GE and it was woeful.

What makes them better? The fact that they cost twice as much as the MGE and the Sublimes did? How is that justified?

Claus, i think your dislike for large rings is interfering with the whole "better" is subjective. I happen to think they are a wonderful cigar, great flavor, well balanced with strength, the have fantastic wrappers at least mine do....i believe these will age very well. I have boatloads of mge's and subs and have smoked many of those 2. Ive smoked a box of the 520's so granted need to smoke more before final judgements i guess but to write off a cigar after 1??? I get it if you dont like the ring but i dont believe 1 is a fair indication of whether they are going to be great...mge's run the same price btw $20/stick so actually the 520 is a better value as there is more smoke for your money!

Claus, i think your dislike for large rings is interfering with the whole "better" is subjective. I happen to think they are a wonderful cigar, great flavor, well balanced with strength, the have fantastic wrappers at least mine do....i believe these will age very well. I have boatloads of mge's and subs and have smoked many of those 2. Ive smoked a box of the 520's so granted need to smoke more before final judgements i guess but to write off a cigar after 1??? I get it if you dont like the ring but i dont believe 1 is a fair indication of whether they are going to be great...mge's run the same price btw $20/stick so actually the 520 is a better value as there is more smoke for your money!

I am a bit "grinchy" today - sorry!

Taste is subjective so let's leave that one aside - after all, there are people that enjoy Vegueros :P . I can't get over the price issue, though. The cheapest I have seen the 520 at is ~$30/stick when the Sublimes and the MGEs (at least initially) were in the ~$15/stick range. How is it justified that these cost so much more? They don't even come in SBN boxes. I don't want to support this policy with my money.

Two of the three I've had we're still quite moist, especially one in Havana. The one that wasn't moist was great. I bought a box and will revisit them in a year to see if I should think about getting more. .

I am a bit "grinchy" today - sorry!

Taste is subjective so let's leave that one aside - after all, there are people that enjoy Vegueros :P . I can't get over the price issue, though. The cheapest I have seen the 520 at is ~$30/stick when the Sublimes and the MGEs (at least initially) were in the ~$15/stick range. How is it justified that these cost so much more? They don't even come in SBN boxes. I don't want to support this policy with my money.

Rob was selling some boxes here for $199 i believe, not sure if pres has more or if that was a special or what. I picked mine up pre-release and paid a little more but not much, a price i was willing to pay to have them early. Pretty much same packaging as mge and subs