Tatuaje "Black," petite lancero, 6x38, Nicaraguan

Have you tried this cigar?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a cigar I like very much. Last night I had a chance to take a few pictures, so I figured I would post a short review. I also had a glass of Springbank 10, of the most recent bottling, I beli

The pre-release was the closed foot, wet packed, broadleaf version. I found it to be much better than the regular release.

The black petit lancero is a decent smoke, but like the Miami Especiales better. The Tat Black Lancero's (supporting Sandy victims) are great. IMHO the best of the three. The Old Man and the C Black (coffin containing 1 lancero & 1 culebra) are also supposed to be very good and can be had for <$20/coffin.

Ok smoked it last night, this is a quick summary of what I thought:

Pre-light draw gave the game away - a lovely cedar and cocoa aroma off the wrapper and typical nicaraguan sweet dung from the filler. Started out medium-bodied with the mix of all 4 but dominant sweet dung (had to get some guinness out to counter so much sweetness), roughly a third of the way in the cedar gains and a mixture of cinnamon and paprika, then half way in it gets a bit more of a meatiness which really helps to balance it out, before turning to typical white pepper (still rounded out by the other spices) for the finish. For a not-so-large vitola it packed a disproportionate amount of nicotine in (typical nic) and although enjoying it i had to put it down just below the band.

Overall it was a very refined example of a nicaraguan puro with a very good quality wrapper, clearly aiming at the sweet cocoa profile (rather than spice power). Not overly complex but a nice evolution of flavours. My personal prejudice is that i've never been a great fan of nicaraguan filler, i find the sweet dung always verges on the sickly... but for those who don't mind it is clearly a good choice. Might have worked better paired with a few black coffees after a large brunch. The tobaccos also seemed well suited to the Laguito no.2 vitola, just enough medium-bodied intrigue to give you the required patience between puffs.

I've smoked a tatuaje petit lancero SoDo he did for a seattle B&M. I'll tell you what, Pete's cigars, actually most everything out of the My Father camp are exellent cigars. The only thing that stops me from buying boxes is that the boxes are either the same price or more expensive than their cuban counterparts. But as i've mentioned in another thread, whenever i'm in the states, i'll hunt down and buy a few Tauajes and MF's for my singles humi.

• 1 month later...

Having not delved into CCs this is one my favorite smokes in my short smoking career. Kept buying em and decided to buy a box to see how they do with time. Wonder if they got the legs for the long run.

I have smoked several Tat blacks and have never been let down. However i prefer the brown label lancero better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had one last evening watching the Spain-Italy semifinal at the Confed Cup.

Great cigar as always - I have only had good experiences with Tatuajes, very refined and as close to a Habano as it gets. My fav NC marca.

• 2 weeks later...

Had one last evening watching the Spain-Italy semifinal at the Confed Cup.

Great cigar as always - I have only had good experiences with Tatuajes, very refined and as close to a Habano as it gets. My fav NC marca.

If you have a Wolfman from two years ago Halloween release nino give it a try. That is my favorite Tat out of them all. A time commitment but worth it if you are watching a soccer match.

Thanks Marker -

hmmm, I've had a wide and varied range of Tatuajes so far and among them were also the Halloween release, a white box with a lily, the ER's for East & West coast etc.

Hardly no Tatuaje that I won't smoke if I can get my hands on them and one of the cigars that I miss not being able to shop for in the US since I retired.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cheers! I've been a PJ fan for years now. But now re-stocking my fridge w/CCs, I still have room for his line & I'm still sitting on 4 stix that I have left from his original release in 09.(YUM)

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of Pete's smokes. His line is quite expansive so I haven't sampled everything but generally it's my go to NC smoke. Also a go to box to have on our shelves in the shop in Mexico. My wife knew Pete when he was a humble cigar shopkeeper in SoCal many years ago. He has done well.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.390033,-81.404448

• 3 weeks later...

Good review! The thing to note is that these original release Tatuaje Petit lanceros is that there is another cigar that looks very similar but is a totally different blend.

The original blend was re-released as the El Triunfador lancero, with a brown El Triunfador band and the distinctive, tall wooden box in which the cigars are packed vertically.

I agree, these are great cigars and worth seeking out, but very hard to come by, depending on where you are located.

Good review! The thing to note is that these original release Tatuaje Petit lanceros is that there is another cigar that looks very similar but is a totally different blend.

The original blend was re-released as the El Triunfador lancero, with a brown El Triunfador band and the distinctive, tall wooden box in which the cigars are packed vertically.

I agree, these are great cigars and worth seeking out, but very hard to come by, depending on where you are located.

The tall packed in the triangular box are the best of the lot. You are so right.

The My Father #4 lancero and the old Pepin blue lanceros are not far behind.

The tall packed in the triangular box are the best of the lot. You are so right.

The My Father #4 lancero and the old Pepin blue lanceros are not far behind.

The my father lancero is one of my go-to smokes. Definitely a good choice. I've never seen a Pepin blue label lancer I, but my local shop doesn't sell small ring gauge pep in blue label. Maybe discontinued?

I smoked a few Tat black petite lanceros and they are very smooth ~

But I think it's over-priced a bit considering many good CC choices are available at the same price range.

I picked up 7 or 8, loved the first two - have no idea why the third didn't do as much for me. I've tried a number of pete's offerings. Some I love and have bought boxes of, others I wonder why they are ok but nothing to rave about for me. Different palates, I guess.

Am loving some cc's better, and for less money.

I have smoked several Tat blacks and have never been let down. However i prefer the brown label lancero better.

I like the brown label lancero better, also.

• 4 months later...

The Tauaje Black Label PL definitely has legs to age well. I find that when you smoke these young they have a dirty, gritty, earthy quality which mellows with age. I would say that about a year's rest gives you more of that good quality tobacco and sweet cocoa flavor, with less of that dirty earth. A Great smoke all in all; worked my thru one box with about a year's age on it and have one box still in the humi resting away. Once I open a box, they don't last very long.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Tatuaje Brown Label Especiales but have yet to try one. I'm a big fan of lanceros, long & skinny's in general.

Have 8 out of 10 of the Tatuaje Mummy release left but I just find it too long of a smoke. Always wanted to get my hands on a few of the Wolfman and Jason releases but they have evaded me thus far.

The Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva (short 30 min chocolate stick), Tatuaje Cojonu 2003, Tatuaje Cojonu 2006, Gran Cojonu are sticks I've enjoyed in the past.

I was a big fan of the Don Pepino Garcia My Father #4 Lancero I've found recent quality has suffered and the original flavor as well as robustness or legs to age just isn't the case anymore. With all the different brands and lines Don Pepin he manages under his name, for Pete Johnson (Tatuaje) and so many other people I think the passion & love for each single cigar rolled has waned over time.

Just my .02 so.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Tatuaje Brown Label Especiales but have yet to try one. I'm a big fan of lanceros, long & skinny's in general.

Especiales is surprisingly mild for a Tat brown. Not really my cup of beer. Now, the Noellas, on the other hand, is ZOOM!