Tatuaje "Black," petite lancero, 6x38, Nicaraguan

Have you tried this cigar?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a cigar I like very much. Last night I had a chance to take a few pictures, so I figured I would post a short review. I also had a glass of Springbank 10, of the most recent bottling, I believe. This is a wonderful whisky that I normally drink without any water. I over did it, I suppose, but I was not too happy with the result of adding water.

This cigar is marketed by Pete Johnson under his Tatuaje company. I don't know the exact story behind this release. Evidently, the blend was produced for a few years, but only given away to friends or to folks at Tatuaje events. This cigar comes from the first batch of the regular release, which hit stores last fall.

post-8257-0-31866500-1331672807.jpg

I think this is a great vitola. It doesn't wind up being a long smoke, but this can be advantageous sometimes.

Here's a Czar styled look at the cigar, poised above my Springbank.

post-8257-0-47317300-1331672632.jpg

The best thing about this cigar was the texture of the smoke. From the first puff to the last, it provided thick, rich smoke with an almost powdery feel, as opposed to an oily or liquid sensation. The clean finish is also a plus in my opinion.

post-8257-0-11070700-1331672865.jpg

The very first puff, and a few right after had a touch of citrus, and a capsaicin sensation that was barely perceptible. Following this, the citrus is gone never to return, and a perfume, floral sensation takes over. I found that the cigar developed a gradual increase in pepperiness until the very end when it was right at the nub. The perfume-like quality remained through much of the cigar, while as it developed some spice character came out, perhaps cloves or something along that line. The finish throughout the cigar is very crisp, and clean.

As I've mentioned before, I have not really dived into Cubans yet, so I can't say how this style of strong nicaraguan tobacco compares to what most of you are familiar with. I am getting to the point where I notice some real differences between Nicaraguan, and Dominican cigars. From my limited experience, these are both quite different from Cubans. I think the difference could be quite shocking if you are especially used to tobacco from one island versus another.

post-8257-0-23997900-1331673603.jpg

post-8257-0-01704900-1331673632.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a cigar I like very much. Last night I had a chance to take a few pictures, so I figured I would post a short review. I also had a glass of Springbank 10, of the most recent bottling, I beli

The pre-release was the closed foot, wet packed, broadleaf version. I found it to be much better than the regular release.

Extremely good cigar. I especially like them. I have a few boxes and notice they r becoming increasingly popular here in the U.S. I enjoy most all Tatuajes, IMO this cigar is better than alot of CCs!

The pre-release wasn't wet packed. The regular release was wet packed in foil though. I agree that the pre had a little something extra that made it better than the regular release. Great cigar though.:)

This is an amazing cigar. I'm just finishing mine up now. I will be getting a box soon. I have a box of the Tatuaje Serie P Short Robustos already. These cigars, even though they are a mixed filler, are fairly similar to this cigar at half the price. I have become a fan of anything made by Tatuaje. It's a brand that is worth every penny.

:thumbsup:

Picked up a box of these last fall and enjoyed two so far as I let the rest age a bit. I'm a fan of Pete's sticks with the exception of the Ambos Mundos and a fan of Lanceros in general. It just came out that the Skull&Bones and Bone Crusher that are under the Surrogates brand were blended and rolled by Tatuaje. Very good review BTW!

• 1 month later...

I wonder if these cigars have entered their sick period. I had one from the pre release and it was significantly different to the tat black PLs that I have had in the past. Didn't like it at all.

Made me hesitate getting a box when I was in the US. Might have give it a second chance and smoke another one before making the decision.

The silver lining is that the money earmarked to buying a couple of boxes were used for more cohiba siglo VIS.... :)

It frustrates me to no end that it is difficult or impossible to get good info on the consistency of tobacco going into NC's. Pete Johnson's Tatuaje's (and everything else of his, I think) are manufactured under the care of Garcia's "My Father" factory in Nicaragua. Since I like some of the Tatuaje's, on occasion, I try other brands coming out of the same factory. I recently burnt through a set of "La Aroma de Cuba," produced by Garcia for another US company. They had hints of a good blend, but literally made me sick in the stomach. Some really foul tobacco was used.

Maybe it would be bad for marketing, but I think it would be much better for the consumer if there was more transparency about quality, or at least which crop, of tobacco is going into each blend.

So, tough to say if it is a sick period, or just poor quality control.

I wonder if these cigars have entered their sick period. I had one from the pre release and it was significantly different to the tat black PLs that I have had in the past. Didn't like it at all.

Made me hesitate getting a box when I was in the US. Might have give it a second chance and smoke another one before making the decision.

The silver lining is that the money earmarked to buying a couple of boxes were used for more cohiba siglo VIS.... :)

Just had one of the lancero last night and really dug it. Pete's cigars seem really hard to come by and are limited and everyone grabs them up. I believe the gracias are producing some of the best NC sticks right now. The only La Aroma De Cuba blend that is worth a darn is the EE blend, that brand is rolled by the gracias but owned by Ashton.

• 7 months later...

In my opinion, these are way better than opusx and all that expensive jazz. These are wonderful smokes, as well as all of the tatuajes and tatuaje extension lines. The best NCs on the market right now

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a frustrating situation. Just spent the week in Miami... the land of Tatuaje and Pete Johnson. There must be a licensing deal where you have to go to the Tatuaje factory store to get their cigars. I was at Mike's main location, where they hold their events and fill their online orders and they do not carry these!***

***Just checked and they do not sell them on line either, so maybe this has something to do with that too.

I went to other cigar stores too... nothing.

• 1 month later...