The new Security band for Cohiba

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramon, I take it from your avatar picture that you like the P1's? So, what do you think with the jar from those then? Is that not similar added-bling along your thoughts with this, and also adds to the cost overall of that cigar?

I agree wholeheartedly with Steve (diamondog). They had/have to do something. Cohiba IS the most bling and most overpriced and quite frequently the most overhyped cigar in the Habanos portfolio, but therefore most counterfeited. If they didn't, just as many people would be complaining about fake cigar issues, or them being behind the times, etc. Cohiba's only been around as a consumer brand for a few short decades - it's not like they're disturbing the storied century-plus-long history of other brands like Partagas, RyJ, RA, etc., etc.

It's all about the cigar itself anyways. Pretty band or not.

Are you worried about purchasing fake cohibas? :lol: Even the ill informed won't know what a real cohiba band looks like so what purpose does it serve except for them to jack up the price for the sig vi loving crowd? Point is they could have done it with more tact.

I dislike any jar because they're useless and how does that even relate to a band that waived around in public like a flag? To answer your question I'd rather they put p1s in a box so I could buy double the sticks. In fact my favorite sticks are run of the mill d4s and rass which are dirt cheap so as you can see I couldn't care less about a jar.

Two ends of a spectrum it appears. A bit gaudy, yes. Adding to the price, you betcha. I don't regularly smoke cohibas so I don't much care from a personal standpoint. But when all of a sudden I've gotta charge 10-15% more for an already overpriced Cohiba I will care. Not to mention all the customers that see this band on the web and all of a sudden think all other Cohiba bands are fake, regardless of the date code on the box. Believe me, it will happen.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631748,-87.070565

Adding to the price, you betcha. I don't regularly smoke cohibas so I don't much care from a personal standpoint. But when all of a sudden I've gotta charge 10-15% more for an already overpriced Cohiba I will care.

It's a repetitive theme these days. You gotta pay more for security.

Thanks for the information and photos, Trevor.

HSA has to make profit and with expensive Cohibas they will succeed. I am happy they don't collect the money from what I like to smoke. I think that band is kind of a good move! (Just another point of view.)

A gaudy decoration for a gaudy product typically used in a gaudy fashion in one of man's most gaudy past times. If done on a ship or a man made island while golfing: ultimate gaudiness!

Do we need to be reminded of the Gurkha Black Dragon cigars in the camel bone humidor boxes?

I like the new bands. I don't see how these new bands can be scoffed at vis-a-vis conspicous consumption when the current bands can already be seen/identified from a mile away.

Me? Yeah... if I'm spending that sort of coin on cigars I do not mind in the least that those around me know what I'm smoking. Do I care what they think one way or another? No, not at all. If someone doesn't like what I'm smoking then they can go pound sand. But do I mind having a cigar band with some bling on it? No. No I do not. Just like I do not mind at all having my Louis XIII stored in a gorgeous crystal decanter. Bling is not bad. It just is. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Wow, those look beautiful! I like that they took the holographic properties of the BHK bands, and some of those security / anti-faking aspects, and applied it to the look of the "regular" band. Very VERY cool to see that blend.

Now, these are only going to be released, at the outset, on the new piramides extras? These are to be a regular production item? Last I remember from one of your updates Trev, it's going to be a 10-box, and with the "extra" slightly bigger and longer than a regular piramid? (I just looked at your webpage, and yeah, I see that they're 54 ring gauge, as opposed to the normal 52 ring gauge of other piramides, and then 6 3/8" long, as opposed to the normal 6 1/8" long of regular piramides). Are those dimensions/plans/packaging still as expected?

Is there any word of a release/availability date, or potential pricing?

Availability - unknown.

Pricing - they are Cohiba :rolleyes:

These photos make a guy wanna drop everything and head for their humidor. I can taste them!!

That is a beauty of a close-up Trevor! Having been in the secure document business, I know what it takes to get that sort of quality. Cheers.

Photos by Habanos SA.....not me.

Hilarious the negative comments on here....Cohiba should be commended for their band work over the last couple of years especially in terms of trying to cut down on counterfitting...I see no other name out there doing so...

I agree...........security is a greater concer.......and bands can always be removed before smoking.

Pretty soon you'll be able to pull off the band and there will be a code on the backside, and you can go enter it online and get free iTunes or a Mountain Dew or Chicken McNugets or something

I don't mind the new bands for their look. With Cohiba being the most counterfeited item this side of the $20 bill all the security is warranted. And those buying Cohiba will most likely not even notice if there is a price increase. Either way I like the old bands and hope to stock up before the new ones go into circulation.

I suspect those who smoke Cohiba regularly will not be put off by a small increase in price. Not much comes for free and additional security is no exception to the rule.

The cynical part of me says the security argument is a moot point. Those who know what they are talking about don't buy from sources which are not 100% legit, and those who buy fakes still won't don't know any better.

Diamond showed the fake behikes coming out already a few weeks back, if the guys making the fakes can make a band that looks as good as those then they will easily enough make these new ones.

So nothing will change, apart from the price of the real ones.

28858ww.jpg

*Takes cynical hat off* :peace:

both the band and the cigars look grate, how ever i feel that those band will alost make it harder to spot a fake :s i dont know if thats just me but i feel that the two dots above the cohiba was an easy spot for all but this it will take a trained eye to catch a fake that is rely well done