The new Security band for Cohiba

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cynical part of me says the security argument is a moot point. Those who know what they are talking about don't buy from sources which are not 100% legit, and those who buy fakes still won't don't know any better.

Diamond showed the fake behikes coming out already a few weeks back, if the guys making the fakes can make a band that looks as good as those then they will easily enough make these new ones.

So nothing will change, apart from the price of the real ones.

28858ww.jpg

*Takes cynical hat off* :peace:

Agreed. Those who are in the know so to speak dont generally buy fakes. Those who buy little wooden boxes with glass tops will still do so even if there was an anti theft device on legit cohibas. Maybe in other parts of the world the fakers spend more coin making better looking fakes. If they do already, what's to stop them from faking these.

Then one should also consider that on any given day one can buy bands and all the correct seals and stickers on the black market.....these will be no different.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.630192,-87.069815

Interesting band but I'm definitely not going to pay more for it. I have no issues spending money on the things that I want as long as the perceived rate of return pays off. Adding a fancy new band on a brand of cigars that I rarely smoke does nothing for me. Just my thoughts for what it's worth.

Increased pricing because of the bands? Perhaps...I am quite enjoying where Cohiba has gone with their product over the last few years, with the CGR, Behike, 1966...to me all 3 warrant their price tags, all spectacular cigars imo...being the Cohiba fiend I am and others that I know, we will be glad to stock our humidors to the brim! Very excited about this release. Cohiba has been hitting them out of the park the last few years....are they expensive, sure but I see them well worth the coin to smoke from time to time...

They look a bit ugly to me. I guess I prefer my cigar bands to be more simple (I prefer the pre-03 Cohiba bands to the current). Personally, I'm not worried about ever getting ripped off by anywhere I buy cigars from. I wonder how much the new bands will add to the price tag?

+1

I appreciate the security properties, but I hate the look.

A gaudy decoration for a gaudy product typically used in a gaudy fashion in one of man's most gaudy past times. If done on a ship or a man made island while golfing: ultimate gaudiness!

Do we need to be reminded of the Gurkha Black Dragon cigars in the camel bone humidor boxes?

This made me laugh. Thanks Roger.....

Given the (purported) rise in HSA profits recently, I guess there are many out there that enjoy the bling, exclusivity, and overall panache associated with recent Cuban branding methods (presumably borrowed from Fuente, Padron, et al.)

Quasi-limited, fewer cigars per box (yet more expensive overall), increased emphasis on packaging, etc....

Some of us prefer the old days. 50 cabs. Less pretension. Oh well. Time stands still for no man.....

As written by many others, if this helps to stop counterfeiting I'm the last to protest... from the point of esthetics it's another case, 'tough I like 'm much better than the Behike bands...

I think anyone that's been around the Cuban cigar world for a while shouldn't really be concerned about getting fakes. You get to know what the genuine article looks, smells, feels, and tastes like. More importantly, you get to know vendors you can trust 100%. Counterfeiters can crank out a trillion fake Esplendios a year for all I care because I know not a single one of them will ever wind up in my humidor. The guys who buy cigars from some vendor on the beach in Mexico probably have no clue what the bands are supposed to look like anyway. Hell, they'd probably buy a vitola that doesn't even exist. I'm not sure who this extra security is meant to protect. It's totally unnecessary for the informed consumer (who buys/smokes lots of cigars regularly), and wouldn't do anything to help the uninformed consumer (who buys/smokes a few cigars on rare occasions).

This just serves to ugly up the cigar, and provides a nice example of HSA's willingness to place style over substance. If they want to throw a bunch of money at Cohiba, how about they make sure every single Cohiba cigar that leaves the factory has a dead-on blend and draws perfectly. I'd be willing to pay a premium for that. Big shiny new bands, not so much.

Pretty soon you'll be able to pull off the band and there will be a code on the backside, and you can go enter it online and get free iTunes or a Mountain Dew or Chicken McNugets or something

I literally LOL'd and got some weird looks from the people around me.

Will it deter the fakes? - No.

Is it tacky? - Yes.

Will it only encourage the Cohiba haters to hate? - Absolutely!

But I still love my Sig II's :)

Thanks for sharing Trevor