Any runners / Bikers/ Triathletes here?

Congrats! I envy fast athletes. I watch them pass me all the time. I'm not built for speed in any event, but I managed to train 9 months and complete the Ironman event in Louisville, KY this past August. I'll attempt to stay in shape the next couple of years doing sprint and olympic distance triathlons before attempting Ironman again. Bourbon, Scotch, Rum and cigars will continue to be part of my training regimen.

ps. I did manage to smoke at least one cigar most weeks throughout the training. The hard part was trying to stay awake long enough to finish one.

I'd love to say I did an IronMan. Unfortunately, I do not think I ever will. Well done. HUGE respect from me for that.

This thread motivates me. Before kids (5 years ago)I ran a 17:10 5km, and a 39:43 10km. I REALLY want to get back into it more for the stress relief than anything, but time is my most valuable commodity.

Doing another 1/2 mara would be nice if I can keep the shin splints at bay; shorter distances are the young man's game, which I am not anymore.

Keep the talk up; I need to get out there! :thumbsup:

• 5 years later...

I was browsing the archives and stumbled upon this thread.

Any active forum members who are into working out?  Since the last post in this thread (2012), CrossFit has blown up, so we can add that to the list too.

I'm training for a marathon in November.  I won't be breaking any land-speed records, but it's a goal to work towards.

In a marathon back in 2012, I crapped out at mile 23, and was passed by a guy juggling.  The guy juggled for the entire race, and beat me across the finish line.  I almost felt like I should have given the medal back.

Does anyone find that cigar smoking impacts longer cardio workouts?  I plan my smoking time around my running schedule, so it doesn't really hurt me.  But if I have an extra cigar on a Friday night before a Saturday morning run, there's no amount of water and/or gum to get rid of the dry mouth...

Happy smoking,

Brody

Ive been a runner for the past 15 years or so.

21km PB of 1:36, but have never broken 4 hours in a FM.  My legs become stone for the last 3-5km.

Over the past 5 years I have migrated to trail running and trail ultras.  Ive completed six 50km trail runs and one 100km, all which have crazy elevation gain.

IMO, trail running is much better on the knees and feet than road running. 

After a 50km, I can generally walk normally the next day.  I cant say that after running a FM.

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

This thread makes me want to go to a runners forum and post "Any cigar smokers here?" Just to compare the responses :P

Good thread bump!

I am by no means an athlete, but I have run a  bunch of marathons, did the full Ironman the one year they did it in NYC (which was awesome), have done a few other small Tris, and a bunch of open water swims up to 10 miles or so. Not super into it, but love the prep/mental piece and charity....fun to raise money. Most days, I like to work out in the gym early/quickly, and get on with things. 

I don't find cigars impact it at all. Alcohol, most certainly!!! 

• Like 2

Been a runner for about a decade.  I'd probably be considered a fast weekend warrior.  I will occasionally pick up an age group top 3 in local races.  Have raced up to the marathon distance on asphalt and 50k on trail.  In my most aggressive training I've been at 60 miles/week, but nowadays more of a fitness runner banging out a strategic 10-15. 

Agree with El Hoze - I've never noticed any detriment due to cigars (though I don't smoke all that much), but booze is a killer.

• Like 1

Have run several marathons, not that fast 3:15 -3:30 pace, but for my age not too bad .Struck by a drunk driver while riding my bicycle (trainning for Iron Man). Lucky to be here, but it put an end to my running, biking, swimming. Walking is the best I can do now. I do miss it so, nothing like the feeling you get after your long runs.

• Like 1

Into road bikes (velo de corsa) for long time.  Better built for soccer, but more passionate about cycling.  Use to race in high school and ride regularly now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've done 2 marathons, 5 half marathons and 3 Half Ironman triathlons over the past 5 years.  Been lazy for about a year and a half, but plan on starting back with Half

Marathons this fall. Currently I  run 2 to 3 times a week and bike (indoor trainer) 1 or 2 times a week. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 10:57 PM, TBird55 said:

Have run several marathons, not that fast 3:15 -3:30 pace, but for my age not too bad .Struck by a drunk driver while riding my bicycle (trainning for Iron Man). Lucky to be here, but it put an end to my running, biking, swimming. Walking is the best I can do now. I do miss it so, nothing like the feeling you get after your long runs.

Apologies for the late responses, haven't check the boards in a few weeks.  

For anyone who isn't a marathon runner, TBird is being modest here when he says that 3:15 is "not that fast."  That's running 26.2 miles at 7 minutes, 26 seconds per mile.  Thanks smokin' fast.

Tough break on the accident.  My best marathon time was 3:39, but that was 4 years and 80 pounds ago.  Unlike you, I don't have an excuse for my laziness.  In other words, I'll use your accident as motivation to get back into running shape.  Thanks for sharing.

Happy smoking,

Brody

On 8/1/2017 at 5:26 PM, Wertman said:

I ran a 50 miler 15 years ago gained 100 pounds since.  Which I could do it again but need some motivation 

Realistically, I have about 40 pounds to drop.  Any interest in a motivational wager?  Between now and the end of the year, we do a weight loss challenge.  Winner gets a box of cigars of their choice (within reason), purchased by the loser.

I've tried a bunch of things as motivation, but never a bet for cigars.  Just a thought. 

Happy smoking,

Brody

8 hours ago, bnasse9900 said:

Apologies for the late responses, haven't check the boards in a few weeks.  

For anyone who isn't a marathon runner, TBird is being modest here when he says that 3:15 is "not that fast."  That's running 26.2 miles at 7 minutes, 26 seconds per mile.  Thanks smokin' fast.

Tough break on the accident.  My best marathon time was 3:39, but that was 4 years and 80 pounds ago.  Unlike you, I don't have an excuse for my laziness.  In other words, I'll use your accident as motivation to get back into running shape.  Thanks for sharing.

Happy smoking,

Brody

Enjoy every run... haven't given up on getting back to it...never quit...

10 hours ago, bnasse9900 said:

Realistically, I have about 40 pounds to drop.  Any interest in a motivational wager?  Between now and the end of the year, we do a weight loss challenge.  Winner gets a box of cigars of their choice (within reason), purchased by the loser.

I've tried a bunch of things as motivation, but never a bet for cigars.  Just a thought. 

Happy smoking,

Brody

If he doesn't take you up on that, I will. Just finished my first full Ironman, but still have plenty of weight to lose.