Any runners / Bikers/ Triathletes here?

Welcome! Congrats on the personal record- that's crazy fast! I run and ride but not nearly as much as I used to. 3 years ago I ran the NJ Shore Marathon and it was an amazing time. I am looking forward to riding a long-distance MS ride this spring as well as a lot of running and weekly long-rides soon. We should post times and distances here :) Hope you are well. Thanks for posting.

Congrats! I used to do a lot of 5k's before I turned into a roadie cyclist. My personal best was 21:01 but I always came in way behind this local kid who ran them in the 17's.

Too hard on the knees because I'm a horrible runner. Now I'm a cyclist. Trying to win a national (aren't they all) title this year. Let me know if you ever want to talk bikes.

I'm a fat bastard (6', 278 lbs) but I do bike and run. My 5k PR is 36:20 and I average 15-20 miles a week of running. My biking is significantly more competetive. Last year I logged 3000 miles, this year the hope is 5000, and I just picked up a new cyclocross bike since as a clydesdale I'd destroy a regular road bike. In traffic, with lights and what not I average 14 miles an hour for rides under 2 hours. My aim for this summer for biking is hitting a metric century. The year after this I want to try a few sprint tris since 800 m isn't all that hard since I used to be a lifeguard in my teens and 20's.

I think I'm in the wrong place. I generally run only when being chased by something that could kill or maim me. I do lots of two wheeled motorized activities though!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631720,-87.070589

I started running again as part of the FOH fat bastard project. I'm going out for a 6 miler later this morning. PR for 10k was 40 minutes flat back when I was 12. I'm still proud of that time but the fastest kid in town in the 12 and under was 4 minutes faster! Now I'd be lucky to finish one in under an hour...

I did a marathon about 6 years ago. I may do another one this Fall. Breaking 4 hours is my goal.

Wow, the current record is just under 13 minutes. With a dedicated training regimen it sounds like several of your coworkers could be in contention or easily make the Canadian Olympic squad.

John, some of these kids eat and breathe working out. They'll run 10k twice a day, sometimes 5 days a week. Some of them are 20-years-old, plus or minus a year or two. It's amazing stuff to see them go full out an compete.

I wish I was 20 again.... :pooped::daydream:

So most of the lads in the Canadian military are capable of running sub 30 min 10K's! Wow, world class times, indeed!

Not quite. Sometimes, anything but. Yet in every different trade, there's some guys that are impeccably trained, and dedicate all their free time to cardio and workout routines. I'd say a good percentage are in that 30 to 35 minute range, probably better than half, with probably at least 10% being able to hit sub-30's. It all depends on how Alpha-male (or -female) they may be. Again, this is kinda guesstimate on my part - I'm usually not paying attention to the clock for others when we're running, I'm just trying not to lose the previous day's supper in the middle of the track.

Hey, they're gonna give me a cruiser for a reason. :rolleyes:B)

Runner here too. 35 yrs old and pb marathon is 4:01....bummer, just missed breaking 4hrs. At the time, I was not smoking sticks at all.

Question for those that run and regularly burn the sticks: do you notice any deterioration in your cardio from smoking cigars? Will you give up smoking during intense training leading up to a race/event?

I like to think that cigars don't impact cardio too much, but is that just being hopeful?

I'm not a runner but I am a competitive cyclist (1,000 miles/month). And as much as I would like to believe that smoke doesn't impair your lungs I know it's not true. I will stop smoking cigars in a few weeks(I only have one or two a week at the most. Sometimes 0) and won't touch them until September. I put forth too much training to eff it up by puffing away.

That being said, I do dream If the day I retire from racing and sit back and smoke a cigar daily for the rest of my days. Maybe dust off my fly rod/reel.

So most of the lads in the Canadian military are capable of running sub 30 min 10K's! Wow, world class times, indeed!

No doubt. They should be competing on the world circuit if they are that fast. Hell, I think Halle Gabresselaisse (sp?) holds the road race world record 10k at just over 27 mins. The world record for a road course 5k is 13 mins flat in 2010.

Runner here too. 35 yrs old and pb marathon is 4:01....bummer, just missed breaking 4hrs. At the time, I was not smoking sticks at all.

Question for those that run and regularly burn the sticks: do you notice any deterioration in your cardio from smoking cigars? Will you give up smoking during intense training leading up to a race/event?

I like to think that cigars don't impact cardio too much, but is that just being hopeful?

Damn fine time. As far a smoking vs performance. I do not notice anything, but I only smoke 1-2 a week. I am sure if you smoked everyday and/or inhaled, there would be some performance deterioration.

No doubt. They should be competing on the world circuit if they are that fast. Hell, I think Halle Gabresselaisse (sp?) holds the road race world record 10k at just over 27 mins. The world record for a road course 5k is 13 mins flat in 2010.

Exactly! Here in Van City we have one of the largest 10K runs in the world with well over 50,000 participants. Lots of weekend warriors but also lots of pros as the price money is quite good. A sub 30 time would have put an individual in 6th place based on last year's results. The winner ran a 29:05 which is a per kilometre pace of 2:55! If these gents are truly running these times not training 'sport-specific' they should definitely consider competing professionally as they could earn a pretty good living competing in races.

I'm not a runner, but, I got tired of my pants being tight so I trained and completed my first 1/2 marathon last year. It wasn't easy, but the feeling I got crossing the finish line was worth it. Now my goal is to run a 1/2 marathon every year for as long as I can. All that being said, I still hate running.

Exactly! Here in Van City we have one of the largest 10K runs in the world with well over 50,000 participants. Lots of weekend warriors but also lots of pros as the price money is quite good. A sub 30 time would have put an individual in 6th place based on last year's results. The winner ran a 29:05 which is a per kilometre pace of 2:55! If these gents are truly running these times not training 'sport-specific' they should definitely consider competing professionally as they could earn a pretty good living competing in races.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should make sure to pay more attention to these guys' times then. Either to ensure I can be more accurate if needed, or just to be awed then. Sounds pretty cool. I know a lot of these guys are real die-hards, but I don't know if they'd dream of doing things outside of the Forces right now - we do a lot of competitive runs internally, and with other armed forces across the world. But who knows - I'm not competitive into it myself enough.

Gotta work on that aspect. :pooped:

I searched and could not find a topic already running

I had a 5k this morning. PR set at 23:33. Good stuff!!!

Congrats! I envy fast athletes. I watch them pass me all the time. I'm not built for speed in any event, but I managed to train 9 months and complete the Ironman event in Louisville, KY this past August. I'll attempt to stay in shape the next couple of years doing sprint and olympic distance triathlons before attempting Ironman again. Bourbon, Scotch, Rum and cigars will continue to be part of my training regimen.

ps. I did manage to smoke at least one cigar most weeks throughout the training. The hard part was trying to stay awake long enough to finish one.