Members Favourite Wrapper shade

Wrapper Shade  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Paint the picture:

You are in a world class cigar divan and you are after your favourite cigar. Construction is equivallent across all boxes laid out before you but you can only pick one box. Each box has a beautiful but different wrapper shade. Aroma at cold excellent and equal from each. From the poll above which would you pick? If you have samled several excellent wrapper shades from the same cigar over time, elaborate if you would like.

post-4-1295914522.gif

Colorado Maduro for:

Diplomaticos

H. Upmann

Juan Lopez

Montecristo

Partagas

Colorado Claro to Colorado for:

Bolivar

Cohiba

Hoyo

La Gloria Cubana

Por Larranaga

Saint Luis Rey

Trinidad

For the rest, I really don't have a preference as long as the shade isn't really extreme in either direction.

If you have samled several excellent wrapper shades from the same cigar over time, elaborate if you would like.

Nope, I haven't so I can't. Although, when I do receive a box with Maduro, or Colorado Maduro I anticipate a sweetness I do not expect from cigars with lighter shade wrappers.

Recently I've tasted some honey from Lanceros and Petite Punch, both of which do not have a Maduro wrapper... more like a Claro or Colorado Claro. But Id guess that sweetness is not coming from the wrapper, rather what's under the wrapper.

While I love the looks of a Colorado Maduro, and my pick, I have smoked great tasting cigars at both ends of the color chart. So on appearance it is Colorado Maduro, but on taste I wouldn't know for sure which box to pick.

I would chose a box of maduro, not because they're my favorite but because they're the hardest to find...at least for me. Having smoked great cigars from every wrapper shade, even green ones, I'm that old, I know it's not the shade but the oils that count. I like to smoke the lighter shades in the morning, middle shades in the afternoon and darkest after dinner.

What I do see is some brands have very consistent wrapper colors and others are all over the board. Montecristo, Trinidad, Cohiba, Fonseca, Hoyo, LGC, Por Larranaga, I pretty much know what they're going to look like before I open the box, never seen a maduro box from these brands............maybe a Monte 30 years ago. Ramon Allones, RyJ, Bolivar could be blond or black and everything in-between.

That's the thing I miss the most, not being able to shop with my eyes in the USA.