Floods Wrap-up

What a weekend.

I saw something this weekend which re-invigorated the spirits. 50000, 60000, 70000 + volunteers with buckets, brooms, high pressure water cleaners all decending on the worst hit suburbs (20,000+ homes) which were inundated and just start cleaning the stinking mud which covered every wall, piece of furniture, evidence of existance. Mud mixed with raw sewerage, chemicals..a brown wasteland.

Every house I saw had 10 - 15 people inside and outside just emptying the house to the footpath and starting the cleaning process. Some were family, most were strangers. Our family was out in our area which was badly affected helping out a mate who's family lost everything. Our house was fine. Everyone is exhausted after two days but those who did not clean set up street BBQ's, water and the occasional cold beer Eskie/cooler to provide necessities to the volunteers.

We bag governments but our local and state governments have been great in co-ordinating a complete mess. Serious military precision in handling the disaster working with and co-ordinating the volunteer army.

We will be back at work tomorrow but it will be a week I will never forget. We appreciate all the support of FOH'ers. We won't forget.

post-4-1295167254.jpg

post-4-1295167290.jpg

post-4-1295167316.jpg

If Brisbane was a lady I would take her out for a nice seafood dinner....love your work bris vegas you make me a very proud to be a Queenslander, albeit one who is living in Melbourne right now.

Rob, relieved to hear that all of you came through ok.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update. It is good to hear you and yours made it through this safe. It is also good to hear the worst is over and everyone can begin to heal and move on from this disaster, even though there is still a lot of work ahead. It sounds like you have a good bunch of people living down there, it is refreshing to hear of people helping people and not taking advantage of the situation in a bad way, as sometimes can happen. Stay safe.

Encouraging news and so nice to hear that so many are helping those in need. Getting back to work will also be a good thing to help get life back in order...

Everyone in Brisbane should be very proud.

To have taken such a blow yet to react with compassion and dignity

is the essence of what it means to be human.

You have much to teach the world.

Heros, the lot of you!

To all our FOH brothers and sisters who have suffered through this nightmare,

we wish a speedy return to life's "normal" problems.

And thanks, Rob, Ken, and all for your efforts in keeping us up to date

with the good, the bad, and the ugly as the week wore on.

I'm sure we all feel, more than ever, like family...

must be pretty surreal being mostly unaffected by the floods and living in the same town as the 10s of thousands with houses in muddy water. like my uncle up on a hill somewhere in town. i hope the cleanup goes well... and that the shared community efforts involved have long lasting effects on peoples attitudes and values.

My prayers go out to all the families affected by the floods. I know they will come back stronger than ever! I saw on the news the heroic young boy who let his younger brother be saved and rescued , which cost him his life. What a courageous young man.

Great news Rob

Glad to see things are on the up and people are starting to put their lives back together and let's hope the insurance companies are going to develop a heart

In the last few days seeing the things I have seen make

me feel so very proud to AUSTRALIAN ;)

Horrible situations have the uncanny ability to bring out the best in wonderful people.

Stay safe. I know after Hurricane Ike swept through one of the biggest concerns my family in Galveston and the people in Louisiana following Katrina had was the severe sanitary concerns of things best left unmentioned floating in the water. I hope y'all are able to avoid at least that much.

God bless and keep you safe.