New York travel help

Dear FOHers,

Looks like I'm off to New York this coming January for a short holiday (1st-10th, approximately). Wanted to get some advice:

1. Want to rent an apartment rather than stay in a hotel. Any ideas on where to find some decently-priced ones? Budget is about $1000-$1200 for 10 days

2. What's the weather like at that time? Bearing in mind it's about -10 up to -20 Celsius here at that time.

3. Are there any decent places for smoking cigars there, or is there a blanket ban on all places?

4. Can I get Cuban cigars into the country?

5. Planning to have about $1700-$2000 disposable income for the whole trip - will this be enough?

6. Anyone wanna meet up for a smoke?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi, cant answear all your questions but I going quite often to new york,

1. Want to rent an apartment rather than stay in a hotel. Any ideas on where to find some decently-priced ones? Budget is about $1000-$1200 for 10 days

No clue, but I have found some really nice small inexpensive hotels (but still really really good), drop me a line if you want some addresses

2. What's the weather like at that time? Bearing in mind it's about -10 up to -20 Celsius here at that time.

Jan in NY, think -5 to 5 Celsius but can be colder and also humid.

3. Are there any decent places for smoking cigars there, or is there a blanket ban on all places?

Yes, you have several lists on the internet, http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Fe...44,1125,00.html

I usally bring some cigars with me, give a guy a cuban and you have a good friend to smoke with.

Yes, but very very expensive, and i would think 95% is counterfeit.

5. Planning to have about $1700-$2000 disposable income for the whole trip - will this be enough?

Eating is very very inexpensive, breakfrust (big on) 10$, lunch 20$ and dinner the same. Just remember to tip 10-15%, US employers dont pay there restaurant employees.

6. Anyone wanna meet up for a smoke?

Not sure if I will be there, but I might be, post a message when you are going.

Cheers

Hey Kangaroo,

a friend of mine just stayed in NYC for a week. He found an apartment in Bedford Stuyvesant which is a part of Brooklyn. Seems to have some quite nice corners and is reasonably priced.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p179956

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p256524

It's no Ritz Carlton, but might be in the direction you're looking for.

I hope I've got your question #4 correctly, you want to take some cigars with you, right? As far as I know it is strictly forbidden to take any Cuban cigars into the country. I bought a couple of singles before reading some stuff about that. If you get caught at the customs with Cubans in your laggage you might be in serious trouble. Personally, I wouldn't take that risk and provided my friend with some Dominicans to take on his trip instead.

For the rest of your questions, I don't have any answers 'cause I haven't been there for about ten years.

Hope it is of some help anyhow...

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks mate. Can I bring some Cuban cigars with me in my luggage?

Sorry, you must have posted that while I was writing. So I had it right after all. ;)

I'd really be careful with that (see above)!

Thanks mate. Can I bring some Cuban cigars with me in my luggage?

there is some strange law (I dont know the details), like if you stay such a short time that they believe you wont smoke them there you can take them in. I dont deal with this, I carry the cigars with me in a travel humidor but without the bands, I do bring the bands with me, but i place them somewhere else. I haven't been searched at the boarder for a long long time, actually it was just after 9/11 and I landed in NY and the guy squeezed my toothpaste out.. (just want to point out, this was AFTER I landed..)

Also, dont mess with the "homeland security" people, they are complete idiots/morons/clowns, just be polite. Last trip, this is a nice story.

Me and my girlfriend lives in Switzerland, and we decided to go for holiday in NY. My girlfriend also have a US citizenship (so she used her US passport), but we both went to the "non-citizenship" cue, its just stupid to split up (why do they do that?). Now, the "homeland security" person first dont believe that I will leave the US, because my girlfriend has a US passport. Then he start ranting about identity theft and Iraq and Afghanistan and so many people want to enter the US. Holy sh%t, I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND, do you want to compare country, tough luck mr a%%hole, well I didnt say that... (just for reference Switzerland has living standard score of 0.999, US has a 0.950..., 1.0 is impossible, below 0.95 is really not good)

Now, after the outbreak of Iraq identity theft he start talking about the rules of visa has changed... bla bla bla. Now the guy stops talking, but holds four fingers up, at this stage I have no clue what he wants , but soon realize its time for the fingerprints, so i place my fingers on the "machine" and he holds a thumb up, great, good fingerprints I thought. No the guy turn aggressive and again hold his thumb up, so I ask what he wants( still he doesn't say a word) "is it ok?", and he almost shouts "place your thumb". Then he rants more about that we wont leave the country, but he stamps my passport and we pass. My girlfriend were furious at this stage, she pays US taxes just for the benefit to have a us passport which is complete useless except getting into the US, and there we are not trusted. Well, our trip was great except the "homeland security" incident.

So, when it comes to the boarder, just treat the homeland security as clowns, dont get offended, just be calm, but be prepared. Here in Switzerland thous kind of people wouldn't even be trusted to be a train police.

cheers

Be careful on bringing Cubans the rules have changed. As a visitor you cannot bring them into the USA as they are considered "contraband" regardless of where ever your citizenship lies. You can only have them in your possession if you are passing through the US on the way to another country via airplane. One new exemption allows for Americans who are legally cleared to travel to/from Cuba can bring a box as long as they can prove they are for personal use. So in other words, crack the box open in Cuba, smoke a few then bring it back. :P

Some links I found that might help.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/arti...ar-lawyers.html

http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/foru...095/m/554107363

If you decide not to bring any in, you can at least enjoy some of the few remaining cigar bars in NYC. Smoking an Opus X isn't so bad. :rolleyes:

Oh and heed what sandholm says as well. The IQ's tend to be low and the power rushes high.

I am assuming you are talking about Manhattan (NYC)

Craigslist is a good resource for this if you can weed out the scam listings, but you are prob looking at closer to $250-$300/night and maybe higher as NYC is packed with tourists during the holidays. I would seriously book as soon as you can.

Weather varies, but expect anywhere from 0 - 35F

There is a Davidoff shop on Madison, but other than cigar bars you will have a hard time fiding a place to smoke inside

Won't comment, but I'm sure you can figure this one out

5. Planning to have about $1700-$2000 disposable income for the whole trip - will this be enough

This is very subjective, you can eat at McDonalds every night and spend $100 the entire trip, just as easily as you could spend $500 for dinner for two.

Hope this helps

Love I was in NY aroudn this time about 4 years ago.. (my god how time flies :P ) .... I sent ages looking for decent places to stay in Manahttan and we stayed at a great hotel in Greenich Village which had a great restauant attached and we go breakfast with the Room... I know you want an apartment but seriously for your budget it won't happen... we paid $250 a night which is cheap in Manhattan and the place was clean and the beds comfortable.,.... it is call the Washington Square Hotel

We had no problems having a decent dinner in NY for about $60 USD a couple... that is if you don't go to the high end places.

I went into the US with 100 sticks in my bad (I had come straight from Cuba) and had no issues but if you are worried just take off the bands.

Weather was around 25 - 35F most day but how wonderful it was and wish I was joining you :rolleyes:

We have a local client who just got back from two weeks in NY so drop Rob a line and he gave Rob all the places he enjoyed a cigar

Have fun honey

Lisa

When stationed at Fort Dix, New Jersey I went to New York downtown Manhattan every weekend. Keep in mind if you are going to downtown New York you won't need a car. The traffic and really pedestrian traffic is so tight and thick you'd end up walking and getting to your destination faster than driving. Second, ANYTHING YOU WANT is in New York --- unfortunately it won't be the real McCoy 99.9% of the time. Have a good time. EVERYTHING and ALL things for enjoyment are there.

If my schedule allows, I would meet up for a smoke. The problem? Generally my schedule!

However, if we put together a planned FOH meeting, might be able to get a place and some members together...

Being a native New Yorker you should know a few things. DO NOT GO TO BEDFORD STUYVESANT!!!

Bed Stuy as we affectionately refer to it is not a nice place. My son is a NYC police officer there, DO NOT GO THERE! Lisa has the right idea stay in the Village or access the hotels in mid-town Manhattan via web sites. January can be very cold and snowy in the Apple so the major hotels might offer deals that time of year. Chect it out. As far as cigars are concerned, take the bands off and you should have no problems. The best food is right here in the Apple. Expensive to moderate, Manhattan has it all. From BBQ to burgers, steak and the best pizza in the world we have it. I know all the pizza and burger joints. Do not hesitate to get in contact with me before your trip and during your trip. I might not be able to meet you but I can surely give some advice on eating out.

Thanks everyone!

I've found a few good deals here for around $150/night (or a bit less if you stay for a week or more). Most of them are located in Brooklyn, which, as I understand, is just across the brinde from Manhattan..>?

Some examples:

http://vacation.new-york-apartment.com/en/...reet-townhouse/

http://vacation.new-york-apartment.com/en/...reet-apartment/

http://vacation.new-york-apartment.com/en/...n-avenue-house/

. . .

There is a Davidoff shop on Madison, but other than cigar bars you will have a hard time fiding a place to smoke inside

. . .

Don’t forget

-- Davidoff at Columbus Circle

-- Club Macanudo

-- Carnegie club

At many of these places, and others, you will have to buy one of their cigars or pay something in the range of $10.00 for a cutting fee.

Being a native New Yorker you should know a few things. DO NOT GO TO BEDFORD STUYVESANT!!!

Bed Stuy as we affectionately refer to it is not a nice place. My son is a NYC police officer there, DO NOT GO THERE! Lisa has the right idea stay in the Village or access the hotels in mid-town Manhattan via web sites. January can be very cold and snowy in the Apple so the major hotels might offer deals that time of year. Chect it out. As far as cigars are concerned, take the bands off and you should have no problems. The best food is right here in the Apple. Expensive to moderate, Manhattan has it all. From BBQ to burgers, steak and the best pizza in the world we have it. I know all the pizza and burger joints. Do not hesitate to get in contact with me before your trip and during your trip. I might not be able to meet you but I can surely give some advice on eating out.

Sorry, didn't want to put up anything bad there. I haven't been there but a close friend of mine and his wife just stayed there for over a week and they both said it was perfectly alright and they would go back any time. I know that I can trust their opinion and wouldn't have written it down otherwise. Anyway, being a New Yorker you surely have a much better insight than they do. My apologies!

Thanks everyone!

I've found a few good deals here for around $150/night (or a bit less if you stay for a week or more). Most of them are located in Brooklyn, which, as I understand, is just across the brinde from Manhattan..>?

Yes Brooklyn is across the bridge from Manhattan, but it's also about 3 times the size of Manhattan, so depending on where you end up staying you may spend a lot of time on the subway going back and forth to the city. If you are one who will not take the subway than don't even consider staying outside of Manhattan as you will spend much more on cab rides than you would to stay in the city proper. If your intention is to spend most of your time in the city then I would definitly try to stay in Manhattan. Again during the holidays 12/20 - 1/30 the city will be absolutley packed with tourists like you have never seen. Picture Rome during Christmas...

Sorry, didn't want to put up anything bad there. I haven't been there but a close friend of mine and his wife just stayed there for over a week and they both said it was perfectly alright and they would go back any time. I know that I can trust their opinion and wouldn't have written it down otherwise. Anyway, being a New Yorker you surely have a much better insight than they do. My apologies!

Micha- NYC is the safest big city in the world. Bed Stuy a Brooklyn neighborhood has wonderful people living there. It is not however a place to walk around looking at the sights. While you are looking at the sights, the sights are looking at you. I am sure your friends had a wonderful time and were safe and protected. There are other places in Brooklyn that are better suited for a short stay. Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights are two that come to mind. Brooklyn does however have the best pizza and steak in the world. Grimaldis for pizza and Peter Luger for steak.

Some great advice here. New York is pricy. Try to stay in Manhattan, even if you can only do it for a couple of nights of your total trip. It will be worth it.

And regarding bringing Cubans in...the volume of international travelers coming into NYC is huge. I don't know your citizenship status or if there is any reason why you'd be more likely to get searched, but if you don't declare anything, the odds of them searching and finding a few cigars in your carry on is going to be extremely low. Just my opinion, having gone through customs in NYC on many occasions.

Micha- NYC is the safest big city in the world. Bed Stuy a Brooklyn neighborhood has wonderful people living there. It is not however a place to walk around looking at the sights. While you are looking at the sights, the sights are looking at you. I am sure your friends had a wonderful time and were safe and protected. There are other places in Brooklyn that are better suited for a short stay. Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights are two that come to mind. Brooklyn does however have the best pizza and steak in the world. Grimaldis for pizza and Peter Luger for steak.

I see what you mean. When I was in NY a long time I walked through Brooklyn Heights and loved it there, really beautful flair and the view on Manhattan was stunning. I heard about the Pizza, too. My friends told me they had the best Pizza of their entire life in Brooklyn and I know they had a lot before.

there is some strange law (I dont know the details), like if you stay such a short time that they believe you wont smoke them there you can take them in. I dont deal with this, I carry the cigars with me in a travel humidor but without the bands, I do bring the bands with me, but i place them somewhere else. I haven't been searched at the boarder for a long long time, actually it was just after 9/11 and I landed in NY and the guy squeezed my toothpaste out.. (just want to point out, this was AFTER I landed..)

Also, dont mess with the "homeland security" people, they are complete idiots/morons/clowns, just be polite. Last trip, this is a nice story.

Me and my girlfriend lives in Switzerland, and we decided to go for holiday in NY. My girlfriend also have a US citizenship (so she used her US passport), but we both went to the "non-citizenship" cue, its just stupid to split up (why do they do that?). Now, the "homeland security" person first dont believe that I will leave the US, because my girlfriend has a US passport. Then he start ranting about identity theft and Iraq and Afghanistan and so many people want to enter the US. Holy sh%t, I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND, do you want to compare country, tough luck mr a%%hole, well I didnt say that... (just for reference Switzerland has living standard score of 0.999, US has a 0.950..., 1.0 is impossible, below 0.95 is really not good)

Now, after the outbreak of Iraq identity theft he start talking about the rules of visa has changed... bla bla bla. Now the guy stops talking, but holds four fingers up, at this stage I have no clue what he wants , but soon realize its time for the fingerprints, so i place my fingers on the "machine" and he holds a thumb up, great, good fingerprints I thought. No the guy turn aggressive and again hold his thumb up, so I ask what he wants( still he doesn't say a word) "is it ok?", and he almost shouts "place your thumb". Then he rants more about that we wont leave the country, but he stamps my passport and we pass. My girlfriend were furious at this stage, she pays US taxes just for the benefit to have a us passport which is complete useless except getting into the US, and there we are not trusted. Well, our trip was great except the "homeland security" incident.

So, when it comes to the boarder, just treat the homeland security as clowns, dont get offended, just be calm, but be prepared. Here in Switzerland thous kind of people wouldn't even be trusted to be a train police.

cheers

First, let me apologize on behalf of all Americans for your run-in with the dumb animal manning the customs booth. Next, I assure you all of us who live here are just as frustrated by them. These people take many forms in our society such as meter-maids and traffic cops and tend to share certain personality traits that manifest themselves in the form of unprovoked aggression towards those who live lives that are obviously much more enjoyable than their own.

You would be correct to observe that these would be exactly the personalities NOT to employ as the initial representatives of our great country to those visiting. Proof, perhaps, that a free market system does not always lead to an optimal allocation of resources. :D

First, let me apologize on behalf of all Americans for your run-in with the dumb animal manning the customs booth.

As an American, please don't - feel free to speak for yourself.

There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually found somewhere in the middle.