Wet Shaving, anyone?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw, Rob, awesome! Remember to really stretch the skin like in the vids, keep looking for tips!

I just bought my first razor.... :D

I'm THISCLOSE to getting a starter kit for my birthday as well. Damn some of those brushes are expensive though! I thought cigars were expensive...

A good brush will last over a life time, so will a good razor, think of it that way.

A good brush will last over a life time, so will a good razor, think of it that way.

sure.. but at the cost, you (I mean me) want to be sure to get the right one, right size etc....

Right, but like most of us we buy 15 of them anyway! LOL

sure.. but at the cost, you (I mean me) want to be sure to get the right one, right size etc....

If you go on badgerandblade.com and look in the shave mall area there is a lot of DE razors for sale from good people there. When looking for disposable blades only use good ones, I would say use Derby, Gillette 7o' clock (Yellow pack), or Feather blades.

I think the old Gillette DE razors are better then the new Merkur ones but they say that's just a preference thing. Overall for safety razors I think the old GEM SE razors are even better, they use Ted Pella Stainless blades, you can find those on his site.

Will take a look around, thanks mate.

What about shaving your head? A blind shave with a blade sounds dangerous.

The guys do it all the time, no worries, I know some that always shave their head with a straight.

• 9 months later...

Any new members do this??

I wouldn't mind getting a blade, my hairdresser did it the other day very relaxing!

whatever happened to Disdurden he was a good poster ?

I saw an ad in a mag for a place in Charleston South Carolina were you can go in for a cigar and a shave. It looked cool, old school, very classy. :cigar:

that.. sounds.. amazing!

Maybe he cut a little to close with that straight!!

ooh SNAP!

that.. sounds.. amazing!

ooh SNAP!

Dicko, there are some great forums to read and learn about it. Once I learned about it, I haven't touched anything other than a straight or a Double Edge.

Ah, the curse of the noob!

I just found this thread and heartily endorse straight-razor shaving. The impulse behind it, for me, comes from the same place that generates the love of a good cigar, i.e. the impulse to be good to oneself.

I haven't been over to SRP lately, but I learned a ton there and having ventured into Str8s, have no plans to turn back.

Hmmm.. I have been getting excited about straight razor shaving for a couple of weeks... would try tomorrow but I haven't come across a decent razor for a good price locally. May have to buy online. My wife says not to go out any buy anything though because it's my first father's day this year and I suspect she's been listening.

Anyway, even without the straight, I thought I'd pass along two shaving soaps. The first one is my every day shave with a Gillette Sensor or Extra or some such safety razor (same kind I've had since my teens). I use it with a brush, of course. Smells great and has really nice texture. It's from goatmountainsoap.com, and is in the Yu De Man collection - the sandalwood & amber scent. Apparently it's got emu oil, whatever that means. Comes in a tin and is easy to throw in the shaving kit for business trips, etc. I love it, and I rarely like anything smelly.

The next one I have not tried yet, but has got my attention. I was looking for soaps that get mentioned on forums, etc, and came across it by accident as I looked for the Tabac brand. This one is hand made, and apparently contains tobacco, but the scent sounds good. http://portlandgeneralstore.myshopify.com/...-wet-shave-soap

If anyone has tried this last one, please let me know. It's a great price too, so I think I may try it out.

Before straight razors, I never would have realized there could be this much interest in shaving.

I went through a phase of uing one around a year ago, the shave is closer than anything you have had. But I fell out of the habit purely down to the time factor, bad excuse I know!

You only cut yourself once with one though lol, like the first and only timeyou cut yourself when changing the blade of a stanley knife etc.

The tritual was very relaxing though, it is something that I still do every once in a while but probably only once every few months. It's something I would reccomend at least trying.

I wet shave every day with a straight razor or everyday I need a shave would be more correct. I love the ritual and the result! And it goes well with the whole concept of mindful living.

• 2 years later...