Wet Shaving, anyone?

Just wondering if any of the gents on these forums indulge in the holy ritual of shaving with straight razors, DEs, etc? I have been a member on a few sites for some time and have senior member status on most of them. Just wanted to see if anyone else on here had the same habit of spending tons of money on old stones, straights, strops, soaps too! I just had an amazing shave with an old Gotta Hamburg 6/8s straight and I had to ask!

It's fun and a real bank breaker!! :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind trying it with a professional, hot towel and all. But pretty sure I'd cut my throat if I tried myself.

No no no, put down the Gilettte or what ever you are using (or even wors, the electric one), you will not cut yourself (well, only if you are stressed) and nothing is better then shaving with a knife, its a much closer shave. Its the perfect way to start the day, relax and gather your thoughts. Now you need a couple of things

1: Good straight knife, there exist both the classic "knife" and once with interchanging blades

I personal like the Heljestrand (made in Sweden), unfortunate its been discontinued but you can still find it. Will cost you around $250, but last a lifetime.

Dovo Shavette is a knife with interchanging blades, its easy (you dont have to sharpen it) but with a little higher cost. Start = $50, $3/blad

Edwin Jagger is also good, around $150

2: Strop (made from skin), you need this to sharpen the knife, last for a life time (with strop paste)

3: Shaving brush (always)

4: Good shaving cream (and I mean good, not the can version)

5: After shave (no alcohol)

This might be a bit pricey to start with, but the knife (if taken care of) will last very very long and how much dont you spend on all those blades?

Take your time, and maybe go first to a shaving shop, and you also have the Internet, search a bit and you will find videos. I have never cut myself with a straight edge, now there is a one problem with knife shaving, travel, before 9/11 no no problem, after...%*ç**ç%*. Well, if you (as me) use carry-on then you cant bring the knife, then i use a three blade system, but nothing beats the knife.

Go for it, you wont regret it

I'm a senior member over at straightrazorplace.com and badgerandblade.com, both are awesome websites for learning and all the guys there are incredible gentlemen.

A lot of professionals in the shops now aren't good and they will end up cutting you a lot more than you would learning yourself. They also use shavettes (Disposable) that aren't nearly as nice as a straight with an actual blade on it. I've even seen a ton of places where the barber will use a MACH 3(!) as a professional tool. If you look at Straightrazordesigns.com there is a lot of "Shave ready" razors there. They are honed in advance so you know they are sharp enough. Most out of the factory razors are NOT shave ready, be warned. You'll also need a strop and a soap with brush. Definitely do your research, as with anything, and then educate yourself before jumping it. You guys can always PM me and ask too, I like helping people with this sport.

It is pricey but you save in the long wrong by not using those crappy plastic gillettes anymore! I didn't cut myself until 8 months in and I was in a rush, it's less risky than it looks.

Always wanted to, but the startup price is a bit too much (on top of cigars), lol. It doesnt get too much manlier than that though!!

If you decide to take the leap, you can always ask me for info. If you like it, it changes your life....

something that was a chore is now a ritual that you look forward to every time!

which sites are you on? I've always been interested in getting into it.

I'm on straightrazorplace the most, if you're ever there shoot me a pm!

I generally try to avoid shaving as much as possible.

I used to shave about every week, maybe less at times. Now I look forward it, love it, my girlfriend thinks I am a maniac with the large collection of straights I have....

Heavy beard and shaving since 7th grade makes someone hate shaving..I am glad I found this sport to help me enjoy it.

I previously used a Merkur DE razor with Proraso and a badger hair brush. Loved it until the beard started turning grey. Using a $$Braun that gets the job done without the pain, but I miss the morning ritual of shaving with a DE. Like previously stated, if you can get over the fear you'll never go back to the cheap razors.

- DoberMan

I previously used a Merkur DE razor with Proraso and a badger hair brush. Loved it until the beard started turning grey. Using a $$Braun that gets the job done without the pain, but I miss the morning ritual of shaving with a DE. Like previously stated, if you can get over the fear you'll never go back to the cheap razors.

- DoberMan

I used the Merkurs when I first started with DEs, very nice German construction on those. I then went to Old Gillettes and then moved up to the straights. Bragging rights, my friends! B)

B) I love bearded men!

I tried shaving a few times, as a teenager.

Seemed like a rather barbaric and bizarre practice,

scraping one's face with a sharp blade, just to look more like a woman. B)

Haven't done it in forty years.

Put all the money I saved into wine, and cigars. :D

I have a badger hair brush & some nice soap, don't bother with the straight blade though.

Same here. I use a five blade razor and can't ever get a close shave. I always have to shave against the grain and it irritates my skin. I'd love to try a straight razor some day, but I'm afraid of scarring myself for life. :cowpoop:

I am sooo going to look into this. I have always wanted to have straight rasor shave and this thread has inspired ms to look into it further. Though I must admit that referring to it as a "sport" made me raise an eyebrow... and the threat of excessive costs has me cautious.

Same here. I use a five blade razor and can't ever get a close shave. I always have to shave against the grain and it irritates my skin. I'd love to try a straight razor some day, but I'm afraid of scarring myself for life. :blush:

One blade is all you need, especially when it's attached to nice custom scales (handles). Multi-blade razors like the Mach 127 are very bad for your skin and actually damage your face, a straight razor doesn't at all, unless you cut yourself, then it's a CUT not a nick.

I am sooo going to look into this. I have always wanted to have straight rasor shave and this thread has inspired ms to look into it further. Though I must admit that referring to it as a "sport" made me raise an eyebrow... and the threat of excessive costs has me cautious.

Rob, I can help you out if you want. I would search for info on Straightrazorplace and ask the pros there what you need, or I can tell you. A lot of new guys get frustrated because they don't know new Straights from the factories are too dull not "Shave ready" and it leads to weeks of failures and frustration. A blade needs to be honed on the stones by someone that knows what they're doing to make a razor truly shave ready. The strop just realigns the edge prior to each shave on a microscopic level, if you check the edge through a scope you will see what I mean.

Good luck!