Por Larranaga Panetela

archosaur

Smoked this little cigar last month with the intent to do a review in the C&C section but never got around to it. But the necessary motivation was supplied by the review draw so I figured I'd dig up the pics and post my thoughts.

The cigar for review is a Por Larranaga Panetela, a small tripa corta short panetela and the smallest cigar in the current Larranaga lineup.

post-5341-1277667647.jpg

Box date is OPM AGO 09. A young cigar, but the box has been resting for about 7 months now.

post-5341-1277667662.jpg

The setting is my balcony overlooking the harbor. Sunday afternoon, just taking it easy.

post-5341-1277667669.jpg

The drink of choice is a Cuba Libre. This is my go-to beverage for most Cubans.

post-5341-1277667677.jpg

Now, the review itself:

My buddies and I have smoked through over half this box of cigars so far, and they have been very consistent and very enjoyable. This example was no different. Aroma at cold was clean tobacco with a very subtly sweet note like black tea. Upon clipping the cap, I was rewarded with the little divot that you sometimes get from the roller. Draw was very slightly to the looser side but not problematic; as a whole this box has been slightly underfilled, but easy to smoke and for me, much preferable to a hard and plugged small ring cigar.

post-5341-1277667682.jpg

Opening notes are of tobacco, toast, and the slightest hint of pepper when exhaled through the nose. As these cigars are not that large and not that complex, I'll forego breaking the review into thirds. After the opening, the cigar begins to show notes of lightly buttered toast and nuts. During the course of the ~50 minute smoke, the toasted bread character (which to me is the essence of these cigars) occasionally evolves into palette-coating doughy flavors that have subtle notes of baking spice - I definitely noted vanilla, and at its apex of flavor the cigar delivered a few sweet toffee notes that were really exceptional, especially when you consider the price point. A cigar that opens just under medium and finishes just over medium. The wrapper is rather rough and rustic, the burn slightly irregular, and the flaky ash is nothing spectacular to look at - but all in all a very enjoyable smoke. I give this cigar an 89, with a few points off for construction/burn, visual appeal, and a somewhat limited range of flavors. This cigar never delivered a harsh or bitter note though; an amazing value.

As for aging potential, I would love to see how they taste in another year or two - but they are just not going to last that long. They're too good! A simple cigar to be smoked right away and enjoyed regularly.

post-5341-1277667692.jpg

• Like 1

Great review although warm and sunny vista's make me sad at the moment :clap: (winter here )

Cheers OZ :D

Excellent Review :D:clap:

You mentioned a touch of underfilling and it is a consistent trait in both the Por Larranaga Montecarlo and the PL Panetela. I have no doubt it is delberate.

• 1 year later...

I appreciate the insights and efforts. As to your deck, fantastic photos. I grew up in that neighborhood as well, so know the view well..........hehe. Shoot me a pm sometime, we do a lot of herfs not too far away. Great job, later.