High-end humidors

NitrousPurger

Use the money to buy some Habanos (from Czar). No question about it.

I know Vanderburgs are or could be hand made to order. I know a few people who bought Avallo cabinet humidors, seem to work pretty good. I struggled with several desk tops under $150 each, so I bought an Igloo to store my cigars, I'm pleased, as it works well for $30 bucks. I haven't had one issue for seven months on temp and humidity. My wife hates the Igloo in my home office. Oh well! D

For years at the beginning of the "cigar boom" I craved a Daniel Marshall humidor, since many of his are specially made for The Governator of California, and other celebrities and politicians. Finally, I got the idea to call them from the phone no. on their website and ask them if they had any "Scratch and Dent" sales! The very, very nice young man at the company said they did (although, the one I got, I cannot find a bleeding bloody thing wrong with it) and I was sent one that holds up to 100 good sized cigars - the one that's around a thousand dollars - for $450. This was in the 1999's and a thousand dollars was still big money, and my roommate at the time yelled from the other room, "THAT WOULD HAVE FED A FAMILY FOR A MONTH!!!" If only she knew what a bargain I believed I was getting! They also included for free 25 of their Daniel Marshall churchill size cigars. Me was very happy with that transaction. :clap:

For years I was dreaming about Bocephus design humidor (desktop, any size), and in 2003 I got one of the last of Mohicans.... A beautiful craftsmanship, which will outlast a few generations, do not know if current Elie Bleu are on par... The old ones, before the company was sold, were indeed.

For years I was dreaming about Bocephus design humidor (desktop, any size), and in 2003 I got one of the last of Mohicans.... A beautiful craftsmanship, which will outlast a few generations, do not know if current Elie Bleu are on par... The old ones, before the company was sold, were indeed.

Funny... I've got a Bocephus humidor I picked up a few years ago that I don't use. I know I got a good deal, but honestly could never find any additional information out about the darn thing. Looks good and I expect I'll just hold on to it until I find something better to do with it. Any chance you've got any additional information on where they were sold, what they cost, etc? I'd love to find out a bit more about it.

post-5544-1274765401.jpg

Adorini in my experience is a very low-quality brand when it comes to humidors. And senselessly pricey too.

I got an Adorini which, after 2 years, still smells some horrid quality of wood. I left it open for weeks, cleaned and washed it with whiskey, nothing. It still stinks.

I advice Marconi if one wants to spend money AND have great quality. I have both a Marconi cupboard-humidor and a desktop humy. Both very much worth the money.

*Cohiba humidor from Canada just arrived yesterday. 'Been wanting one for awhile but was not about to spend hundreds on it reportedly at sale price. I know you all have been talking about "quality" "appearance", etc. This one has perfect seal and beautiful gloss with the Cohiba cigar band logo as its design. 'Great, new, unopened in box, and purchased on Ebay for $79! Love me a good bargain! :unsure:

I would not prefer Adorini, they are nothing in terms of pricing or quality. I have seen humidors with 2-5k price tags, yet are they worth it is the hard question. I really respect this post- yet it may be one of those things left unanswered such as, "how did the Earth form?"

But if you are looking for a reason to buy I would check out some qualified makers. Some of the best quality for your money would be ones like Marconi, Vanderburgh, and Daniel Marshall.

It is surely a big investment spending $400-1,000 on a nice sized desktop humidor, but with my experience and opinion- you will be very glad you did. And they are pretty attractive...

Hope that helps :drool:

Best of wishes

I guess it depends on how many cigars you plan to smoke.

Thermoelectric 28 bottle wine fridge can hold a few hundred cigars. A few hundred cigars can also buy you a nice desktop humidor as well.

*Cohiba humidor from Canada just arrived yesterday. 'Been wanting one for awhile but was not about to spend hundreds on it reportedly at sale price. I know you all have been talking about "quality" "appearance", etc. This one has perfect seal and beautiful gloss with the Cohiba cigar band logo as its design. 'Great, new, unopened in box, and purchased on Ebay for $79! Love me a good bargain! :no:

I looked at those Cohiba humidors on eBay a couple of months back. Almost bought one too, until I realized that it was a Chinese knock-off. Here's a link: http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?Search...ct_en&ssk=y

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :D Make sure it's Spanish Cedar before you use it. Who knows, it may be a good humidor. Let me know how it turns out!

Funny... I've got a Bocephus humidor I picked up a few years ago that I don't use. I know I got a good deal, but honestly could never find any additional information out about the darn thing. Looks good and I expect I'll just hold on to it until I find something better to do with it. Any chance you've got any additional information on where they were sold, what they cost, etc? I'd love to find out a bit more about it.

Beautiful Humidor! Does it have two humidifying elements and two cedar trays?

IICR, those were custom made by an engineer from Canada and were available directly from the maker or through a good Tobacco shop. From $1K US and up, depending on the size. Mine was the last one from a Tobacco shop in Toronto, someone canceled the order, I guess. AFAIK, no more were made after 2000...

• 2 months later...
Adorini in my experience is a very low-quality brand when it comes to humidors. And senselessly pricey too.

I got an Adorini which, after 2 years, still smells some horrid quality of wood. I left it open for weeks, cleaned and washed it with whiskey, nothing. It still stinks.

HA! Couldn't agree more. Such an agressive odor from the cedar Adorini use. It overwhelms the tabacco after a while. Adorini might look nice but in terms of storing cigars it's a complete downer...

(I build a cabinet myself using cedar from humidorbau.de - but that's a different story...)

I bought a Matt Mahogany Elie Bleu desk top from Holts on sale years ago. I love it. If you can afford good stuff, get it. I take a bunch of cigars out of my cabinet every two weeks or so and this humidor keeps them perfectly until I light them. post-1876-1280790019.jpgpost-1876-1280790448.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I would start out posting pics of my new, custom made Daniel Marshall humi. I just received it the other day and am very pleased with how it turned out -- exactly like I envisioned when I draw up the first set of schematics. The exterior is Macassar Ebony and the dimensions are approx 16"W x 24"L x 10"H. It's a real work of art that took a few weeks to work out with DM and then a little over three months in production. The best part is that the cost was about 50% of an off the shelf Davidoff humi.

4955294083_abab719f14_b.jpg

4955887264_7f8a488390_b.jpg

4955887550_4f7c016e16_b.jpg

4955295173_faf4ef402b_b.jpg

• Like 1

I looked at those Cohiba humidors on eBay a couple of months back. Almost bought one too, until I realized that it was a Chinese knock-off. Here's a link: http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?Search...ct_en&ssk=y

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :devil2: Make sure it's Spanish Cedar before you use it. Who knows, it may be a good humidor. Let me know how it turns out!

*It did. It turned out just fine. And yes, I've gotten in past yeas humidors with (????) as its "cedar" lining and so on. The cedar in this one is right & proper. I'm still happy with a good, bargain investment

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I would start out posting pics of my new, custom made Daniel Marshall humi. I just received it the other day and am very pleased with how it turned out -- exactly like I envisioned when I draw up the first set of schematics. The exterior is Macassar Ebony and the dimensions are approx 16"W x 24"L x 10"H. It's a real work of art that took a few weeks to work out with DM and then a little over three months in production. The best part is that the cost was about 50% of an off the shelf Davidoff humi.

4955294083_abab719f14_b.jpg

4955887264_7f8a488390_b.jpg

4955887550_4f7c016e16_b.jpg

4955295173_faf4ef402b_b.jpg

*Hey, those look stunning!

*Hey, those look stunning!

Thanks! The burl wood humi on the right is my old DM humi that I've had for 14 years but still looks great. The pics don't do justice to just how huge my new humi is. It was designed to be so wide that it holds two Churchills end to end with an inch in between.

One more pic of the interior:

4955916216_2b65d81d3b_b.jpg

• Like 1

post-6869-1283791322.jpgDaniel Marahall humidors are very nice. I believe they are made in Tustin Ca?...They are top notch desktop humidors. I need a cabinet...Mine is the Aristocrat M THC cabinet. Temp controlled as well. 50 box/300 single capacity. Duel thermoelectric coolers. Been so hot in LA lately I actually took out the water resevoir and its beeen holding contstantly at 68%. The coolers when running constantly give off moisture
  • Like 1

post-6869-1283791322.jpgDaniel Marahall humidors are very nice. I believe they are made in Tustin Ca?...They are top notch desktop humidors. I need a cabinet...Mine is the Aristocrat M THC cabinet. Temp controlled as well. 50 box/300 single capacity. Duel thermoelectric coolers. Been so hot in LA lately I actually took out the water resevoir and its beeen holding contstantly at 68%. The coolers when running constantly give off moisture

Very nice. Wish I had something like that but I think I'll just go the coolidor route for the Candian winter. May need a wine fridge by next summer... just wish I could find a thermoelectric one in Canada!

I guess it depends on how many cigars you plan to smoke.

Thermoelectric 28 bottle wine fridge can hold a few hundred cigars. A few hundred cigars can also buy you a nice desktop humidor as well.

I'm with LeafLover on this one. For around $200USD you can buy a thermoelectric cooler that keeps temps at around 65F, all you have to do is take care of humidification. I just bought one of these for wine and when I was setting it up it struck me that it'd be perfect for cigars, so I went and did a little searching online and sure enough! There's even woodworkers out there who make spanish cedar shelves and drawers custom for the wine cooler you choose. If you look at the cost of the high end temp/humidity controlled units with a similar capacity, they are easily in the $2000-$4000USD range (Liebherr for instance). You can make one yourself that looks almost as good and functions just as well for under $400! You can even get the custom drawers with exotic wood fascades that look spectacular. Can you tell I'm excited about this?

I had the wine cooler set up myself. Yes, they work fine but they dont look all that great IMHO...The aristocrats are custom made pieces of furniture...They are exspensive though. Check around craigslist and ebay etc...Ive seen several of them for sale (where I got Mine) for way less than retail...

Daniel Marahall humidors are very nice. I believe they are made in Tustin Ca?...They are top notch desktop humidors. I need a cabinet...Mine is the Aristocrat M THC cabinet. Temp controlled as well. 50 box/300 single capacity. Duel thermoelectric coolers. Been so hot in LA lately I actually took out the water resevoir and its beeen holding contstantly at 68%. The coolers when running constantly give off moisture

Yes, made in Tustin. Although I live up in LA, I never went down to the shop. In fact, I never actually spoke to anyone at DM. Did the entire process by email.

How loud is the fan on your Aristocrat M THC? I have a Eurocave 83 wine fridge, which is supposed to be one of the most quiet brands. But even that fan has some noise. I imagine that if I had it located in my living room it would be somewhat bothersome.