25% Australian Tobacco Tax Increase & Internet Sales Ban

It is reported.....

"Today is another sad day for the Tobacco Industry. Kevin Dudd has announced a Tobacco Excise increase of 25%. This will increase the price of a cigarette from 26.22 cents each to 32.776 cents in tax.

The increase in excise on cigars is from $327.77 per kilo to $409.71 per kilo.

For example a box of cigars the cost $450 will now be approximately $510.

Further bad news is, that the Government will restrict Australian Internet advertising of tobacco products, bringing the Internet into line with restrictions already in place in other media - whatever that means."

My understanding that this was only a proposal!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was announced today and goes in to force at midnight.

They do this so that suppliers have the least time possible to stock up on product pre-excise and therefore lock in a better profit margin/better price for their customers.

I know my local cigar guys store has been going mad today, i went past and it was CHOCKERS!

For Aussie buyers....get in Quick,

We do have plan B, C D and E in place. To k Rudd......F You :rotfl:

How quick Rob? Will stock I already have reserved be affected?

Ill speak to you tomorrow, mate.

:D

This really suxs for us Aussies :rotfl:

Any foreign members willing to order for us then send them back down, think well have to take our chance

with customs ;) this is getting ridiculous :D

Sharks

To k Rudd......F You :rotfl:

Here here. And I hope it all works out ok mate, you were the first person I thought of.

My business just got slugged with a very 'creative' and very expensive tax. I call it 'success tax' as it only hit us after reaching a certain threshold of revenue. It could sink my business... Funny thing is that IF we survive, we will send people to the dole in doing so... Thus negating any gain for the nations taxation! We should be rewarding companies for keeping people in a job. NOT taxing them and costing jobs, sales and tax for govt. And guess what it is a tax which was abolished by Howard and convieniently brought back in by Rudd just after EOFY 2009.

Im also trying to avoid being taxed on another business that I have had in development for the past 10 months which isn't even operational yet !!!!!! It hasnt made or spent a cent... I have!!!!! Out of my already taxed $$$$$$!!!!!! Get ****ed. My mate makes $200,000 a year in singapore and got taxed $18,000 on that amount... Its bullshit. Thats 9% total tax! And singapore is a hell of alot better presented an run that Australia.

I respect peoples political choice, but what the hell did people think would happen when they voted for KRudd???????

Please excuse the rant and language as im sure i'll have alot more constructive comments to add... But this just shits me, I've worked as Rob has for many years to build what I have... AND tipped alot of my earnings (so the $$$ effectively get taxed twice) back into it to employ people and keep food in my and my staff's mouths.

EDIT: Very sorry if my language or tone offends anyone, I've been going through this rubbish for the whole year and its really anger educing.

Never Voted for this prick anyway,he has to go ,and if there is any justice he will not be here after the next election (better start cleaning out your desk :D;) )

could not find the right smiley to properly convey how i really feel.

DO NOT BE CONFUSED THIS IS JUST ANOTHER TAX NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS

Members that live elsewhere in the world do not know how lucky they are welcome to the most taxed country in the world

mean while we have another govt. department set up for the ETS carbon trading scheme with a 90 billion dollar budget with nothing to do ,to coincidental in my books.

As to the cigarette thing price increases wont do a lot (some families will just go hungry)

The thing that pisses me off the most is the suddenness of it and ,the fact that i do not have the funds to stock up ;)

Pardon my french but "**** YOU KEVIN RUDD"

I feel a little better now bring on the Election i say :D:rotfl:

Cheers OZ ;)

As a footnote as an Aussie Member i will continue to support Rob on this one .

Buying from overseas will not save much money, as not much gets through customs now a days

I would personally pay a bit more and know that i am purchasing quality

Keep fighting the good fight Rob

Cheers Oz :rotfl:

Just to add, if my main business cant sustain the taxation jump it is coping then I will be off to Singapore and setting up my new business there as well as buying a property. Singapore can have my tax. I will employ there, pay tax there personally and pay tax there business wise.

Stick your tax up your arse KRudd, all you are doing is making the battlers stuggle more, shifting business $$$ elsewhere and costing jobs.

Also, due to my current financial commitments: current business, new business, wedding, housing and just keeping everything afloat... I have not been able to purchase a box of cigars since 2007. I bought a selection of singles last year and thats it. So by ******* me over, your also taking $5,000-$10,000 (what I used to spend PA on cigars) out of Rob's business and others.

The flow on effects from all these rubbish taxes are immense.

As a footnote as an Aussie Member i will continue to support Rob on this one .

Buying from overseas will not save much money, as not much gets through customs now a days

I would personally pay a bit more and know that i am purchasing quality

Keep fighting the good fight Rob

Cheers Oz :cigar:

Spot on Oz without Rob us Aussies would definitely be up #$&^ creek without a paddle.

:2thumbs: Czars

I just love the argument that some of the increase in tax revenue might help to pay for the health reform... And I thought it was only due to concern for peoples health that they raised the tobacco taxes, not for extra revenue...?????!!! :cigar:

This is it. A money grabbing exercise. 100% right.

This won't stop anyone smoking, it will stop some people being able to feed the family. Of course, cigars aren't a health problem and should be taxed standard rates of tax as any other retail product, but the tax on ciggies is just as bad. Reminds me of the "alco-pops tax"....yep what a joke, it sure stopped all those teens drinking didnt it... :2thumbs: they either just paid up the extra or bought a bottle and a 2L coke and mixed it themesleves. What I have seen is the young casual/healthy level drinker being penalised, and the middle-aged tradie who just wants a jacks and coke can after work, and the pensioner !! what a load of ****. didnt stop binge drinking... it did give the government more of OUR money.

This was another of KRudd's bullshit, however don't for one second think the liberals will do any better. malcolm turnbull and his party room let the alcopos tax slide through, Tony abott and co. will let this tobacco tax slide through, and would do the same thing in a few years if they are in gvt. This makes me sick...

The biggest problem with a tobacco tax increase is that it will be applauded by the masses.

As much as the nation thinks Rudd is ruining the country - the majority of the country, and the political opposition of the day, will support any reform or tax that hurts tobacco companies or users.

And, worst of all.. you can rest assured they are already planning their next assault.

The biggest problem with a tobacco tax increase is that it will be applauded by the masses.

As much as the nation thinks Rudd is ruining the country - the majority of the country, and the political opposition of the day, will support any reform or tax that hurts tobacco companies or users.

And, worst of all.. you can rest assured they are already planning their next assault.

So very true Rob... And sadly you will be proven right on the 'already planning next assault' statement.

But elections are decided by the exact people that this new tax targets, the 'battlers'. These voters swing to and fro to whoever they think they can get the most from. Interesting political times ahead here in OZ.

In 1998 tobacco was the biggest 'lifestyle choice' killer. As of 2008, obesity and thus fast food was the biggest killer. Where is the equality? Why does a large big mac meal cost $6.95? Where is the 80% of total cost tax on fast food?

For Aussie buyers....get in Quick,

We do have plan B, C D and E in place. To k Rudd......F You

Sad to hear for you aussie brothers and sisters. However Im glad that there´s always a plan Rob!

Oversea buyers should not be concerned.

We will fight then tooth and nail domestically. Some water to flow under the bridge yet :2thumbs:

Appreciate the effort mate!!

Unfortunately its easy for the politicians to kick on those of us that enjoys out tobacco. Just as easy as kicking on us that needs to use our cars everyday. We are the evil ones and should be punished until whe realize that pure happiness comes out of chewing bubblegum and riding a bike...

We are the evil ones and should be punished until whe realize that pure happiness comes out of chewing bubblegum and riding a bike...

This raises a question in my mind:

"How the **** are we SUPPOSED to live?"

Does the government have some sort of blueprint for human life and how it should be lived? Or are they indiscriminately targeting various groups of people who may be deemed to be engaging in immoral activity?

Where do they draw the line between "human being" and "robot"?

This, gentlemen, is one of the governing reasons I left Oz in 2005. I miss it terribly of course, but for the time being, I cannot adhere to all these rules/taxes etc.