Has anyone ever seen this ?

A good friend of mine sent me these 2 Photos of the cigar

he was smoking yesterday. It's a Partagas and I have no reason

to think that it was a fake, he's been smoking Habanos for quite

a few years and he knows his cigars, plus he said the cigar was very good.

This only happened at that point of the cigar, nothing before and

nothing after. He Told me that touching these little bubbles, it felt

like dry ash but nothing wet, I have no idea of what this could be,

this has never happened to me.

Has anyone here at FOH ever have this experience ?? :cigar:

Thank you for any Idea or info that you may have .

post-3705-1264511334.jpg

post-3705-1264511371.jpg

I have had this experience before. Not sure what it was though because it didn't change my smoking experience. I do remember thinking it looked like little eggs from a beetle but they were too large for that IMHO. I would think it was just a build up of oils.

I have had this experience before. Not sure what it was though because it didn't change my smoking experience. I do remember thinking it looked like little eggs from a beetle but they were too large for that IMHO. I would think it was just a build up of oils.

I have had them too. I didn't affect the flavor or burn. I never thought to touch them to see what they were.

Yes, usually after a touchup or relight with a torch. I assumed it to be moisture buildup, or oils, etc. having something to do with the high heat of the torch. Certainly not beetle eggs.

I was just going to say... yeah the same thing happens to me sometimes after a touch up.

Sorry...never experienced this before. Looks interesting though. Would love to hear more about it from anyone who has some insight into the topic.

Your friend probably hasn't seen these bubbles because he smokes high quality tobacco which Cubans use frequently. The bubbles are caused by excessive amounts of tar in the tobacco. If you smoke more Nicaraguan, Dominican, or just low quality cigars you'll see this more often.

Your friend probably hasn't seen these bubbles because he smokes high quality tobacco which Cubans use frequently. The bubbles are caused by excessive amounts of tar in the tobacco. If you smoke more Nicaraguan, Dominican, or just low quality cigars you'll see this more often.

:surprised:

Siglo VI, MC2, HUMAG50, HU2 are not low quality cigars ... I've smoked these recently and noticed the effect. I would guess it has more to do with the way the cigar is smoked and/or the high heat of a torch.

I can't say as I agree with this as I get the same effect after most every touch-up. I don't notice it often on NC's, but that is probably because I smoke NC's when I'm busy and don't have time to sit and enjoy my cigar.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the temperature of the flame...

I've never seen this! Exactly this is tar bubbles. Other question how they have appeared? I assume that it's connected with excessively oily stuffing. As far as I know in well fermented tobacco such maintenance of pitches is not present...

Guy, I have doubts concerning an origin of these cigars :confused: I smoke approximately 15 years a minimum of 20 cigars in month and never seen such bubbles in ash! I don't have answer to your question.......

I have seen this happen - but only when using a torch lighter and getting very close to the cigar with it.

That would tend to make me think its a by-product of over heating the cigar which should change the flavour profile. Interesting whatever it is..

This will hapen to most cigars, place a 'jet' lighter to your burning cigars ash for long enough and it will bubble and harden ,the almost cristalised ash looks like that which you have in the pic.