Cigars oozing thick tarry substance

I have seen pictures that people have posted of cigars starting to ooze a thick tarry substance after they have been smoked a bit. I have never had this happen before though. Well last night I took out some nice 2004 Montecristo Joyitas, they were in a cardboard 5 pack, and shared them with my son and one of his friends. The temperature was in the high 50s and it was a nice evening. BOTH my son and his friends had this tarry stuff ooze out from the head of their cigars a few minutes after lighting, and got the associated bitter taste. It was dark out and I didn't get my camera but on both of the cigars they had little dark brown bubbles. I had them both do another clip and the cigars were fine the rest of the way out. My Joyita did fine at first but began to get a bitter taste just after halfway through, never got any tar bubbles but I gave up on the cigar.

Any thoughts on when these tar bubbles are most likely to appear, and why we had TWO from the same 5 pack? Do you think the kids may have smoked them a bit fast and gotten the cigars over heated, might that have contributed?

I have the other two cigars from that 5er and may spring them on some unsuspecting friends.

I've had the tar a couple of times. The juiciest gob came out of a Monte #2 that I was about half way through. Couldn't tell you why it happens.......

As one of Professor Twains usual unsuspecting friends, I will say that yes I have had this happen before, rarely thank goodness. I believe that a lot of this happens because of the "wetness" the cigar smoker using together with "hotboxing" the cigar (which is basically smoking the cigar too fast and too hot) coupled with a cigar that has some leaf that has oils in it.

The extra clip removed the oil or tar that oozed out and the taste was not bitter afterward if I read your post correct.

Just my opinion, this has so rarely happened that I am really guessing on what causes this to happen.

The few times this has happened to me it seems to be linked to the size of the cut. For a short time I used a punch-cutter and It was usually then this could happen. Also if I´m sloppy with the regular cutter and cut away to little this has happened.

Off course, not all the times. But for me, the tar-thingy has always come in company of a small hole...

Im sure others have totally different opinions on this matter... :lol:

PT, it's happened to me a couple of times, and I was never quite sure why - I kind of assumed it was ring gauge and / or

smoking too fast. I know it's come up a few times here, and I think in the end it's more a matter of moisture content

(including oils). Here's a thread I was able to find:

Link

The few times this has happened to me it seems to be linked to the size of the cut. For a short time I used a punch-cutter and It was usually then this could happen. Also if I´m sloppy with the regular cutter and cut away to little this has happened.

Off course, not all the times. But for me, the tar-thingy has always come in company of a small hole...

Im sure others have totally different opinions on this matter... B)

must say that fortunately i have never had this happn. have been using a punch cutter for a while and seems not to have induced this. will keep an eye out.

Thanks for all of the comments. Yes, it is interesting that the two kids who were smoking (and probably smoking too fast/hot) were the ones who had the tarry stuff appear.

I will spring the rest of this 5 pack on my buddies on Thursday and see if the Tar Monster attacks them.

I have had this happen to me about 4 or 5 times. I smoke slowly and each time this has happened it was with thin rg smokes: PL Montecarlo, 02 LGC #4, and 01 VR clasicos. I just clipped a little more off with my Palio and problem solved. Just for clarification, I cut all my smokes with my Palio. The stuff sure is bitter and definitely a nuisance.

Thanks for all of the comments. Yes, it is interesting that the two kids who were smoking (and probably smoking too fast/hot) were the ones who had the tarry stuff appear.

I will spring the rest of this 5 pack on my buddies on Thursday and see if the Tar Monster attacks them.

Having just returned from being sprung upon I come to report that they were fine smokes and at no point was there any black tarish substances to be found. They were very flavorful and quite enjoyable...

Not as enjoyable as our blind tastings went... but enjoyable none the less! ;)

This is happened to me several times (4 maybe 5) with a box of Montecristo Edmundo, anyhhow after cutting the cigar again the problem is over.

Yes, these are very flavorful and I can report no tarry substance from them. As I spoke with Professor Twain last night, I believe that the cause was smoking the cigar way too hot while also soaking the head of the cigar with excess saliva. Suggested solutions would be to dry lip smoking to avoid excess wetness and to slow down how fast the cigar is being smoked.

Having never had this happen to me before - I had troubles imagining what you were all talking about...and now that I see it think it looks disgusting.

That just looks oh so wrong! :buddies:

Hope I never experience this.

Tic...tic...tic....everytime you smoke now.....it will be like a time bomb waiting to happen.

:cigar: