My 20 Hours with Guy (laficion)

NOTE – Because of my computer restrictions, I cannot post pictures at this time….I have them….and they will get posted after I get home!

At last I am able to tell the story of my visit with Guy (laficion)! I have been unable to do so before now because my ship was busy in preparations to leave Toulon, France before I went to see him, and was even more crazy after I returned from my visit….we’ve been out to sea now for a little over a week and it’s been go-go-go as I was given the reins of the Engineering department as Acting Engineering Officer (part of my training package). It’s been heartening to come to realization that I can handle the pressure and still be true to my leadership beliefs (focus on the people, work for them as much as I work for the Captain, look at the bigger picture without forgetting the small stuff).

ANYWAY…..enough of that....let’s talk about my visit with Guy! As we were berthed in Toulon (home of a massive French Naval base…..bigger than any Canadian navy yard, that’s for sure!), the ship was happily within a couple hours drive of Nimes, a stone’s throw away from Calvisson. I kept in touch with Guy as our port visit to Toulon approached, knowing that the opportunity to visit him was something I would sorely regret if I didn’t try. Happily, it was easy to set up, and we made plans for me to leave the ship after lunch on Dec 5th, once my ship had finished fuelling, getting me into Calvisson around 2-3 pm. Well…..that didn’t happen. Fuelling delays, a container ship competing with us for jetty space, and other delays put off fuelling again and again, until finally at 4 pm, I could not wait any longer and secured permission to go for my visit. I Changed out of uniform, threw my items in the car…..and at that point, I discovered that the 4 pm traffic jam was not just for North Americans! It took me forever to navigate my little rental car out of that snarl, but I was at last able to pull up in Calvisson just after 7 pm. Guy met me in the town square and we brought my car to a garage before entering “Le Clou”, Guy’s house.

Not previously having met him in person, I could not know what to expect meeting Guy, aside from what I could gather on FOH, which told me that Guy was a well-read, passionate lover of cigars, wine and life. Meeting him and his wife Monique was a true joy – they are wonderful people and hosts of the very finest caliber :clap: . I could not have been made to feel more welcome in their home! Although I thought I might practice my crappy French-speaking skills a little, we conversed mostly in English, although it was good to be able to understand French that was spoken around me.

My unfortunate lateness in arriving in Calvisson put a wrench into Guy’s plans (something I still feel really badly about…next time I will have someone else deal with the damn fuelling!) but we still had a very enjoyable evening all the same! I presented Guy with a small token of Canadian thanks (a bottle of Alberta Premium Rye …the best Canadian Whisky you’ll ever find :buddies: ) and an HMCS Vancouver ballcap, which is a traditional gift from any sailor to friend :cap: . Guy showed me around his house, as I marveled at the fine old stonework and lived-in feel of the house. Whenever I see European buildings, homes, churches, etc…..it always makes me feel so…impermanent, as a North American. Even the oldest homes and buildings we have, especially in a place like Victoria, which only dates from the mid 19th century, pale in comparison, in depth, to what Europe has to offer. It’s just extraordinary. Anyway, Guy took me upstairs to his personal man-room/Cigar Lounge….it’s even nicer than the glimpses we’ve seen on the forums! He offered me some Green Spot (my all-time fav Irish Whisky….which he was surprised to find out how much I knew about it!) and an H. Upmann Amatista, one of the cigars he reviewed recently, and I happily accepted – Always in to try a new cigar I’ve never seen before! We relaxed downstairs as he smoked one too. I enjoyed it thoroughly – it was a bit of a tight draw, as he mentioned in his review, unfortunately Guy’s cigar was a little tighter so he did not have a great go at his…but mine was so good I didn’t want to put it down! Subtle nuances of floral and sweet flavours, a bit of cocoa. A great cigar….chalk another one up for the discontinueds!

We then settled down to a delicious dinner prepared by Monique. It was a tasty pasta dinner with cutlets as well, with scrumptious French bread (which I could not get enough of my whole time in France!) and finished with a cheese plate with three cheeses to die for. We discovered that Guy and I share a great love of fine cheeses, one of many topics of conversation throughout the evening! You know how you meet someone and in talking to them, feel like you’ve known them for a long while? Definitely got that feeling talking with Guy and Monique. We also enjoyed some wine from nearby that absolutely hit the spot….but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was called – hopefully Guy can remind me!!! A Full and tasty red for sure. We relaxed after dinner chatting and enjoying another cigar – Guy gave me a fantastic Bolivar Coronas Extra (kicking myself for not having a box/cab of these cigars!) and I gave him a Partagas Seleccion Privada No.1 that I picked up in Andorra. I’m not sure who enjoyed their cigar more – Him or I!! My Coronas Extra was one of the best Boli’s I’ve ever had – just nails the marque with light white pepper, grassiness and a smooth, creamy overall taste. :yes: Spot-on cigar!

We entertained thoughts of heading up to Nimes to meet some of Guy’s friends, but we enjoyed ourselves chatting after dinner so much that we ran out of time – but no matter, we chilled out, and headed up to the Cigar room for a Bourbon! There are some out-of-this items in Guy’s lounge, it is every bit a collection of many passionate years enjoying Havana cigars. Every Cigar Aficionado (though we both share a sadness at what the magazine has now become), many cigar books and references, the cool Green ash tray with the stone cigar + band, and Guy’s classic Elie Bleu humidor – it really was spectacular….while at the same time a place you felt comfortable to relax and enjoy a timeless cigar in! Guy poured me one of his fine Bourbons, and initially offered me a Partagas Serie P no. 2, before I mentioned that I’d never had a Quai D’Orsay….so we put the Serie P aside and picked up a Quai D’Orsay Corona. Talk about a cigar that lives up to the billing – this was a wonderfully sweet journey! The Bourbon didn’t overpower it, and I was rewarded with a smooth yet subtly flavoured cigar, with hints of sweet baking notes, honey and shades of light fragrant grassiness. This cigar was class, and I finally get the hoopla on FOH about it. Definitely going to search out for a box of these beauties. Guy and I spoke for hours on nearly every topic I could think of – Cigars, Cuba, the people, travel – It was just so comfortable – relaxing in a cigar lounge with a great friend, enjoying fine cigars and fine company, I could not ask for more. I finished off the night with a Partagas Tres Petit Corona from Andorra…….my first one of these cigars, and I tell you – this is definitely no Party Short. We both agreed there was far more “animal” in this cigar than the Short ever develops. I am glad to have a box of my own from Andorra, though I do plan to trade some of the contents with a FOH brother!

Around 4 am, we both kinda realized the late hour and retired to our rooms to sleep. After a restful repose, I awoke around 9:30-10 am, and finding Guy still sleeping, so I went to go read his Min Ron Nee Encyclopedia – Not having one of my own, I had always wanted to browse through one! I thought about waking Guy….but of course the polite Canadian that I am, I did not. He rose around 11, and then we both agreed that next time, I’ll dispense with the Canadian politeness and wake him up when I'm up haha!! We sat down and enjoyed a fine coffee (I’ll never drink coffee on ship…..but can’t seem to get enough of it in Europe!!) and some breakfast pastries, and set out for the day to stroll around Calvisson. We stopped in to say hello to Monique at the town bakery before beginning our stroll, and then clipped our cigars and set out – Me with a Bolivar Corona from 2006 (with the shiniest Boli Band you’ve ever seen) and Guy with ……I can’t remember what Guy had! I think it was a Boli Corona Extra, actually. Calvisson is a pretty little town – Guy filled in with explanations and stories of everything we saw, which was quite a lot for a small town. Each house/lot/building has a story of it’s own, and I very much loved hearing about all the history – the Wine Merchant’s house and the wagon-testing lane, The racing Pigeon dwelling on the side of the house, the unique stonework everywhere….this is the kind of tour I like – a tour where the place you are comes alive from someone who lives and breathes the local area. It’s just a breath of fresh air you don’t normally get when you go somewhere new. My cigar was gangbusters – Before this, the only Boli Corona I’d had was a plugged affair…but this has shown me the true colours of the cigar, and it’s by no co-incidence that I am smoking more Boli’s now….they really are worthy of great props. Creamy, Grassy goodness with great complexity and balance – I am hooked, I tell you!!

Returning back to Le Clou, I packed up my things and we drove in a convoy to Nimes, where we planned to look around before I had to head back to the ship. It was definitely more picturesque a drive in the daylight, contrary to what I saw the previous evening! :ph34r: I wish I had so much more time to explore further this interesting area. So much to see! We arrived in Nimes and began our walking tour. We walked around the spell-binding Roman Amphitheatre – preserved only because it had been in continuous use since its construction, everything from shows to housing a small town, to being used as a wall for buildings around it – it’s seriously in better shape than the Colosseum. You have to see it to believe it. We also stopped in on a Roman Temple in the old Forum of Nimes – another ridiculously well-preserved Roman building. Guy explained some of the interesting bits about it, from the new discoveries from when they undid old “restorations” and discovered new details underneath, to the slightly curved construction of the temple – I love that stuff. I could look at Roman ruins for weeks, it’s just so fascinating to me! After trying to find a café for a Mojito, we strolled on to the Fountain Park, another Nimes Landmark….it was sensory overload for me! Speaking of which – I Lit up a Partagas Lonsdale from a 2002 Cab I picked up in Andorra, and gave one to Guy too – this was the most complex and remarkable cigar I’ve had in a long, long time. It had EVERYTHING going on – strength and depth, breathtaking balance and flavour delivery, each puff was like a sweet, spicy bit of joy, and I think Guy felt the same way. Like Guy said (paraphrasing here) – “It’s a shame but it’s true….Somebody has to smoke these cigars!” Spellbinding cigar. I will treasure that cab…..for as long as those cigars last….which might not be that long, considering how good they are LOL! The three of us walked back towards the Amphitheatre, admiring the sights and our cigars, where we sat down at an old café across from the Amphitheatre to have a beer before we hit the road. Monique was nice enough to give me a giant fresh pretzel for the drive home, and a box of cookies from a new bakery in town (circa 1775 :lol: ) for me to bring back for Chantelle and I, and we enjoyed our last few minutes before having to head back to the cars. I really didn’t want to leave, I just enjoyed myself so damn much! Guy and Monique were just so welcoming, I couldn’t thank them enough.

That was not the end of our adventure, Guy drove with me to the highway to make sure I got out of town ok….and of course, my youth and inexperience with these roundabouts was in full display as I attempted to enter as another car was coming around (and as Guy said “He has the priority…..”)….we pretty much each came to a stop within an inch of colliding. The other driver gave me the stare of death, before continuing on….so yeah…I need to work on my roundabout technique haha! :lookaround: I just hoped I hadn’t scared Guy too much….these Canadian Drivers are a little rough behind the wheel LOL :rotfl:

Shortly thereafter, we said our last goodbye and I drove my car sadly back to Toulon. It was a wonderful, great time and again, I could not thank Guy and Monique enough for their hospitality. We share a heck of a lot in common, including the cigars, cheese, and also cats - one of their cats was strikingly similar to my own family cat that I grew up with, it gave me kind of a feeling of coming home!

Guy, my friend – Thank you again so much for everything. If you ever come out to Canada, you are always welcome at our place, and once I am able to return to France, I will waste no time in letting you know so that we can meet again! The FOH brotherhood gave us the connection but I am happy to have made some great friends, and I have FOH to thank.

A Prochaine, Guy! Thanks for the great memories and we’ll see you again soon!

Pictures to follow….when I am able!

Hope you enjoyed the read!

Great read Chris! Don't skimp on the details next time. :P Guy is a great guy. It sounds like you both had a great time. And please...don;t tell me you gave him a bottle of "Alberta's Finest". :lol: Isn't that stuff the choice of drink for Mr Lahey of Trailer Park Boys? But seriously, very cool gestures between both you gents. That is what I love about this hobby of ours. Those on the outside will never get the sense of camaraderie, hospitality and humility that springs forth when cigars are lit in company. :perfect10:

Great post Chris

It just reaffirms what I hold dear about F.O.H great friend ships can be formed ,great cigars ,great people

Cheers OZ :cigar:

Isn't that stuff the choice of drink for Mr Lahey of Trailer Park Boys?

Hey, I can't help if Mr. Lahey has great taste in Whiskey! Besides, I'm pretty sure they blur out the name on the bottle..... B)

It just reaffirms what I hold dear about F.O.H great friend ships can be formed ,great cigars ,great people

This is exactly it, man - THE best part about FOH!

Good to hear Guy still has some Green Spot left!

Guy would probably have less of it left if I would have been able to stay longer :rotfl: BEST Irish Whiskey ever. Redbreast is a close 2nd, however.

Wonderful report on a fabulous meeting! Thank for sharing it, it is priceless.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to you, Chris, and to Guy and his lady,

Michel

NOTE – Because of my computer restrictions, I cannot post pictures at this time….I have them….and they will get posted after I get home!

At last I am able to tell the story of my visit with Guy (laficion)! I have been unable to do so before now because my ship was busy in preparations to leave Toulon, France before I went to see him, and was even more crazy after I returned from my visit….we’ve been out to sea now for a little over a week and it’s been go-go-go as I was given the reins of the Engineering department as Acting Engineering Officer (part of my training package). It’s been heartening to come to realization that I can handle the pressure and still be true to my leadership beliefs (focus on the people, work for them as much as I work for the Captain, look at the bigger picture without forgetting the small stuff).

ANYWAY…..enough of that....let’s talk about my visit with Guy! As we were berthed in Toulon (home of a massive French Naval base…..bigger than any Canadian navy yard, that’s for sure!), the ship was happily within a couple hours drive of Nimes, a stone’s throw away from Calvisson. I kept in touch with Guy as our port visit to Toulon approached, knowing that the opportunity to visit him was something I would sorely regret if I didn’t try. Happily, it was easy to set up, and we made plans for me to leave the ship after lunch on Dec 5th, once my ship had finished fuelling, getting me into Calvisson around 2-3 pm. Well…..that didn’t happen. Fuelling delays, a container ship competing with us for jetty space, and other delays put off fuelling again and again, until finally at 4 pm, I could not wait any longer and secured permission to go for my visit. I Changed out of uniform, threw my items in the car…..and at that point, I discovered that the 4 pm traffic jam was not just for North Americans! It took me forever to navigate my little rental car out of that snarl, but I was at last able to pull up in Calvisson just after 7 pm. Guy met me in the town square and we brought my car to a garage before entering “Le Clou”, Guy’s house.

Not previously having met him in person, I could not know what to expect meeting Guy, aside from what I could gather on FOH, which told me that Guy was a well-read, passionate lover of cigars, wine and life. Meeting him and his wife Monique was a true joy – they are wonderful people and hosts of the very finest caliber :clap: . I could not have been made to feel more welcome in their home! Although I thought I might practice my crappy French-speaking skills a little, we conversed mostly in English, although it was good to be able to understand French that was spoken around me.

My unfortunate lateness in arriving in Calvisson put a wrench into Guy’s plans (something I still feel really badly about…next time I will have someone else deal with the damn fuelling!) but we still had a very enjoyable evening all the same! I presented Guy with a small token of Canadian thanks (a bottle of Alberta Premium Rye …the best Canadian Whisky you’ll ever find :buddies: ) and an HMCS Vancouver ballcap, which is a traditional gift from any sailor to friend :cap: . Guy showed me around his house, as I marveled at the fine old stonework and lived-in feel of the house. Whenever I see European buildings, homes, churches, etc…..it always makes me feel so…impermanent, as a North American. Even the oldest homes and buildings we have, especially in a place like Victoria, which only dates from the mid 19th century, pale in comparison, in depth, to what Europe has to offer. It’s just extraordinary. Anyway, Guy took me upstairs to his personal man-room/Cigar Lounge….it’s even nicer than the glimpses we’ve seen on the forums! He offered me some Green Spot (my all-time fav Irish Whisky….which he was surprised to find out how much I knew about it!) and an H. Upmann Amatista, one of the cigars he reviewed recently, and I happily accepted – Always in to try a new cigar I’ve never seen before! We relaxed downstairs as he smoked one too. I enjoyed it thoroughly – it was a bit of a tight draw, as he mentioned in his review, unfortunately Guy’s cigar was a little tighter so he did not have a great go at his…but mine was so good I didn’t want to put it down! Subtle nuances of floral and sweet flavours, a bit of cocoa. A great cigar….chalk another one up for the discontinueds!

We then settled down to a delicious dinner prepared by Monique. It was a tasty pasta dinner with cutlets as well, with scrumptious French bread (which I could not get enough of my whole time in France!) and finished with a cheese plate with three cheeses to die for. We discovered that Guy and I share a great love of fine cheeses, one of many topics of conversation throughout the evening! You know how you meet someone and in talking to them, feel like you’ve known them for a long while? Definitely got that feeling talking with Guy and Monique. We also enjoyed some wine from nearby that absolutely hit the spot….but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was called – hopefully Guy can remind me!!! A Full and tasty red for sure. We relaxed after dinner chatting and enjoying another cigar – Guy gave me a fantastic Bolivar Coronas Extra (kicking myself for not having a box/cab of these cigars!) and I gave him a Partagas Seleccion Privada No.1 that I picked up in Andorra. I’m not sure who enjoyed their cigar more – Him or I!! My Coronas Extra was one of the best Boli’s I’ve ever had – just nails the marque with light white pepper, grassiness and a smooth, creamy overall taste. :yes: Spot-on cigar!

We entertained thoughts of heading up to Nimes to meet some of Guy’s friends, but we enjoyed ourselves chatting after dinner so much that we ran out of time – but no matter, we chilled out, and headed up to the Cigar room for a Bourbon! There are some out-of-this items in Guy’s lounge, it is every bit a collection of many passionate years enjoying Havana cigars. Every Cigar Aficionado (though we both share a sadness at what the magazine has now become), many cigar books and references, the cool Green ash tray with the stone cigar + band, and Guy’s classic Elie Bleu humidor – it really was spectacular….while at the same time a place you felt comfortable to relax and enjoy a timeless cigar in! Guy poured me one of his fine Bourbons, and initially offered me a Partagas Serie P no. 2, before I mentioned that I’d never had a Quai D’Orsay….so we put the Serie P aside and picked up a Quai D’Orsay Corona. Talk about a cigar that lives up to the billing – this was a wonderfully sweet journey! The Bourbon didn’t overpower it, and I was rewarded with a smooth yet subtly flavoured cigar, with hints of sweet baking notes, honey and shades of light fragrant grassiness. This cigar was class, and I finally get the hoopla on FOH about it. Definitely going to search out for a box of these beauties. Guy and I spoke for hours on nearly every topic I could think of – Cigars, Cuba, the people, travel – It was just so comfortable – relaxing in a cigar lounge with a great friend, enjoying fine cigars and fine company, I could not ask for more. I finished off the night with a Partagas Tres Petit Corona from Andorra…….my first one of these cigars, and I tell you – this is definitely no Party Short. We both agreed there was far more “animal” in this cigar than the Short ever develops. I am glad to have a box of my own from Andorra, though I do plan to trade some of the contents with a FOH brother!

Around 4 am, we both kinda realized the late hour and retired to our rooms to sleep. After a restful repose, I awoke around 9:30-10 am, and finding Guy still sleeping, so I went to go read his Min Ron Nee Encyclopedia – Not having one of my own, I had always wanted to browse through one! I thought about waking Guy….but of course the polite Canadian that I am, I did not. He rose around 11, and then we both agreed that next time, I’ll dispense with the Canadian politeness and wake him up when I'm up haha!! We sat down and enjoyed a fine coffee (I’ll never drink coffee on ship…..but can’t seem to get enough of it in Europe!!) and some breakfast pastries, and set out for the day to stroll around Calvisson. We stopped in to say hello to Monique at the town bakery before beginning our stroll, and then clipped our cigars and set out – Me with a Bolivar Corona from 2006 (with the shiniest Boli Band you’ve ever seen) and Guy with ……I can’t remember what Guy had! I think it was a Boli Corona Extra, actually. Calvisson is a pretty little town – Guy filled in with explanations and stories of everything we saw, which was quite a lot for a small town. Each house/lot/building has a story of it’s own, and I very much loved hearing about all the history – the Wine Merchant’s house and the wagon-testing lane, The racing Pigeon dwelling on the side of the house, the unique stonework everywhere….this is the kind of tour I like – a tour where the place you are comes alive from someone who lives and breathes the local area. It’s just a breath of fresh air you don’t normally get when you go somewhere new. My cigar was gangbusters – Before this, the only Boli Corona I’d had was a plugged affair…but this has shown me the true colours of the cigar, and it’s by no co-incidence that I am smoking more Boli’s now….they really are worthy of great props. Creamy, Grassy goodness with great complexity and balance – I am hooked, I tell you!!

Returning back to Le Clou, I packed up my things and we drove in a convoy to Nimes, where we planned to look around before I had to head back to the ship. It was definitely more picturesque a drive in the daylight, contrary to what I saw the previous evening! :ph34r: I wish I had so much more time to explore further this interesting area. So much to see! We arrived in Nimes and began our walking tour. We walked around the spell-binding Roman Amphitheatre – preserved only because it had been in continuous use since its construction, everything from shows to housing a small town, to being used as a wall for buildings around it – it’s seriously in better shape than the Colosseum. You have to see it to believe it. We also stopped in on a Roman Temple in the old Forum of Nimes – another ridiculously well-preserved Roman building. Guy explained some of the interesting bits about it, from the new discoveries from when they undid old “restorations” and discovered new details underneath, to the slightly curved construction of the temple – I love that stuff. I could look at Roman ruins for weeks, it’s just so fascinating to me! After trying to find a café for a Mojito, we strolled on to the Fountain Park, another Nimes Landmark….it was sensory overload for me! Speaking of which – I Lit up a Partagas Lonsdale from a 2002 Cab I picked up in Andorra, and gave one to Guy too – this was the most complex and remarkable cigar I’ve had in a long, long time. It had EVERYTHING going on – strength and depth, breathtaking balance and flavour delivery, each puff was like a sweet, spicy bit of joy, and I think Guy felt the same way. Like Guy said (paraphrasing here) – “It’s a shame but it’s true….Somebody has to smoke these cigars!” Spellbinding cigar. I will treasure that cab…..for as long as those cigars last….which might not be that long, considering how good they are LOL! The three of us walked back towards the Amphitheatre, admiring the sights and our cigars, where we sat down at an old café across from the Amphitheatre to have a beer before we hit the road. Monique was nice enough to give me a giant fresh pretzel for the drive home, and a box of cookies from a new bakery in town (circa 1775 :lol: ) for me to bring back for Chantelle and I, and we enjoyed our last few minutes before having to head back to the cars. I really didn’t want to leave, I just enjoyed myself so damn much! Guy and Monique were just so welcoming, I couldn’t thank them enough.

That was not the end of our adventure, Guy drove with me to the highway to make sure I got out of town ok….and of course, my youth and inexperience with these roundabouts was in full display as I attempted to enter as another car was coming around (and as Guy said “He has the priority…..”)….we pretty much each came to a stop within an inch of colliding. The other driver gave me the stare of death, before continuing on….so yeah…I need to work on my roundabout technique haha! :lookaround: I just hoped I hadn’t scared Guy too much….these Canadian Drivers are a little rough behind the wheel LOL :rotfl:

Shortly thereafter, we said our last goodbye and I drove my car sadly back to Toulon. It was a wonderful, great time and again, I could not thank Guy and Monique enough for their hospitality. We share a heck of a lot in common, including the cigars, cheese, and also cats - one of their cats was strikingly similar to my own family cat that I grew up with, it gave me kind of a feeling of coming home!

Guy, my friend – Thank you again so much for everything. If you ever come out to Canada, you are always welcome at our place, and once I am able to return to France, I will waste no time in letting you know so that we can meet again! The FOH brotherhood gave us the connection but I am happy to have made some great friends, and I have FOH to thank.

A Prochaine, Guy! Thanks for the great memories and we’ll see you again soon!

Pictures to follow….when I am able!

Hope you enjoyed the read!

Around 4 am, we both kinda realized the late hour and retired to our rooms to sleep. After a restful repose, I awoke around 9:30-10 am, and finding Guy still sleeping

:blush: Well Chris, no one is perfect. :wacko:

Chris,

Thank you so much for this hour by hour résumé of your visit to Calvisson , but

above all for the privilege and the pleasure of meeting a brother like yourself.

Thank you for taking the time and a long drive just to see Monique & I, I truly appreciate.

I'm sure that we will see each other again and share even greater moments.

Merci pour tout l'ami et à bientôt,

Guy