even aussie frogs are tough

Frog eats a snake

Friday, January 1, 2010

© The Cairns Post

GREEN frogs are a regular sight in Far North Queensland - but rarely making a meal of a snake.

As these photos taken by Ian Hamilton show, the frog is not incapable of experimenting with new predator-prey relationships and dinnertime treats.Mr Hamilton said his 18-year-old grandson, Brendan Healy, spotted this frog snacking on a brown tree snake in his grandparents' retirement village garden in Mackay last Sunday night.

"We took some photos, not realising at the time just how unusual it was," he said.

"There were three other frogs watching as well."

Pictures: Frog eats snakePictures: Cairns frogs

The frogs usually dine on insects.

It's not the first time a frog has been caught on camera with an appetite for something surprising.

In June a shocked resident snapped a frog devouring a whole bird.

And in October, another frog was filmed in a territorial battle with a snake.

post-9-1262329182.gif

post-9-1262329315.gif

More weird news

More weird animal tales:

Frog are one of the toughest creatures around. For those of you that "frog" you know this to be true. I have seen gigged frogs live for a tremendous time while waiting to be skinned and fried.

Yep... I like frog legs, especially the ones that I gig myself! -Piggy

...Great story by the way, Ken!

If I ever manage to make my way to Australia, I'm staying in the cities! Is there any animal down there that's not capable of killing people?

cities? run for your life.

sydney is chockers with funnel webs - one of the world's deadliest spiders, the local beaches have blue ringed octopi, small cute and killers. redbacks - i think they are a bit like america's black widow spiders but a bit more toxic get under toilet seats - so common that there is even a song about them there.

snakes don't respect boundaries. i live in brisbane and have browns and taipans - for those not familiar with either, taipans usually considered world's deadliest land snake, though they can be a bit shy. browns only rank third or fourth (wusses) but are much more aggressive. bloke up the road lost a clydesdale to a snake bite recently.

have lived in numerous places around brisbane over many years and have seen snakes at every one.

also daddy long leg spiders abound but no need to wory about them. although most venomous spider on the planet, their mouths too small to bite humans.

also found a large - and inevitably poisonous centipede in the courtyard yesterday but if it won't kill you within the first 20 minutes, we tend not to worry.

Ken dont forget the Box Jelly Fish also the Stone fish. cant swim in the beaches in the N Territory because if the crocks dont get you the shark will,

if either one miss ya the Box Jelly's are going to give you something that you wont forget anytime soon

Australia the land of the exotic animals and hot women :wink2:

Oh and the best fishing in the world :stir:

Ken dont forget the Box Jelly Fish also the Stone fish. cant swim in the beaches in the N Territory because if the crocks dont get you the shark will,

if either one miss ya the Box Jelly's are going to give you something that you wont forget anytime soon

Australia the land of the exotic animals and hot women :wink2:

Oh and the best fishing in the world :stir:

all true. coming in to land in adelaide a few weeks back and looked out the window of the plane as we were coming in over the sea from the south. there, only 40 to 50 metres offshore is a massive great white - so big i can see it clearly from x thousand feet. spoke to a mate later that night and he said that there had been reports one was hanging around the beaches for the last week or so. this was the city beach, minutes from the CBD where lord knows how many swim.

cities? run for your life.

sydney is chockers with funnel webs - one of the world's deadliest spiders, the local beaches have blue ringed octopi, small cute and killers. redbacks - i think they are a bit like america's black widow spiders but a bit more toxic get under toilet seats - so common that there is even a song about them there.

snakes don't respect boundaries. i live in brisbane and have browns and taipans - for those not familiar with either, taipans usually considered world's deadliest land snake, though they can be a bit shy. browns only rank third or fourth (wusses) but are much more aggressive. bloke up the road lost a clydesdale to a snake bite recently.

have lived in numerous places around brisbane over many years and have seen snakes at every one.

also daddy long leg spiders abound but no need to wory about them. although most venomous spider on the planet, their mouths too small to bite humans.

also found a large - and inevitably poisonous centipede in the courtyard yesterday but if it won't kill you within the first 20 minutes, we tend not to worry.

:) OK, I'll be staying over here in boring old Connecticut USA. We do have rattlesnakes, technically, but I've never seen one despite years of hiking, hunting, and fishing. And bears, but black bears are a punch of pansies.

:o That's pretty badass. Could use some of those frogs to get rid some of the pest problem over here...lol

Yes that can be arranged provided that Ken and I come with the frogs and you guys supply an endless line up of cigars :lol:

What do you say Ken ??

maybe a couple of cane toads as well :P

Yes that can be arranged provided that Ken and I come with the frogs and you guys supply an endless line up of cigars :thumbsdwn:

What do you say Ken ??

maybe a couple of cane toads as well :thumbsdwn:

sounds fair. i can get all the cane toads they want.

yes, forgot to mention we have poisonous toads.

:) OK, I'll be staying over here in boring old Connecticut USA. We do have rattlesnakes, technically, but I've never seen one despite years of hiking, hunting, and fishing. And bears, but black bears are a punch of pansies.

And copperheads. and brown recluse spiders. And despite DEP protests otherwise, mountain lions. But I'd rather be bitten by both snakes and a spider while being jumped on by a bear while I fought off a mountain lion than swim at an Australian Beach! :party: