Isla PigFish (REUTERS) -

Isla PigFish (REUTERS) - SANTA CLAUSE was delayed several hours this morning while the his Reindeer took a break for the island's famous alfalfa... and a little egg nog. Santa is no stranger to Casa PigFish but with the economy being tight and grinches at Habanos raising Santas prices there was little in his bag for the master of the house. Without skipping a beat Mr. Piggy broke out some stock and Christmas may have been saved!

Santa was quoted as saying, "Smaller ring cigars are all but gone now! Its a darn shame too. Mrs. Clause really liked the Bolivar Demi Tasse and I never could keep the elves out of the Partagas Petit Coronas in cabs! I can't tell you how many times I needed to substitute them with Bolivars. Thank goodness they are still available" It was rumored that Santa himself while on holiday in Havana had a hand in saving the PLPC but that is only a rumor.

Santa and Mr. Piggy both agree that the loss of the Partagas Serie du Connoisseur line this year is devastating blow, with only Vixen being indifferent. Vixen is known to enjoy a Siglo 6 but after many disappointments with the quality of his favorite cigars has largely been preferring cigars from different parts of the world now.

Santa had enough time for only a La Gloria Cubana this year with a little 'spirits.' "Looks like I won't be seeing these next year," he added.

post-79-1261766436.jpg

happy christmas ray. you probably would have hated it but after all the chrissie celebrations (i have a family that hardly drinks - some sort of divine irony), i settled back and had an SLR DC with a few years on it. absolutely loved it.

Quite to the contrary my friend, if you were there I would have enjoyed it immensely. Actually I drink very little. I would have been happy to smoke my 25+ yo Monte Especial with you and your DC. We could have told fish stories and lied about the superiority of our chosen smokes. Instead I had to listen to my wife and MIL fight over who started it! Whatever it was... it was not worth fighting about and I was not going to let it spoil my MC. I smoked my cigar, MIL played with the dog and Lady Piggy sharpened here knives!!! Well all chose not to pick up the phone with my sister in law called. All good now!

post-79-1261800808.jpg

post-79-1261800848.jpg

post-79-1261800892.jpg

I was not really up for a review after all it was Christmas but I did take note of the cigar and enjoy it entirely. One of the best aspects of a good Monte Esp. is the consistency of the cigars. It is not that they are exactly alike so perhaps the strictest definition of consistency is out for all Cuban cigars but I find them all to be good cigars if not great ones, consistently.

This cigar like all good Monte Esp. opened like a good book. There was interest, charm, romance... what have you; it kept your interest but there was not abundant excitement. There was of course an open, muted, balance an even homogenization of flavors and no rough edges with this cigar. Like a well rolled Monete Esp it also began to demand more of your interest as it progressed. The cigar was not at all lifeless, and it strength, constitution and character gradually and exponentially increased as I smoked it. It never became a powerhouse, but the best traits of its original form seemed well intact. There is familiarity with me and the Monte Esp and this one like always was the reintroduction to an old friend.

On a side note this cigar was far better constructed than most the cigars I smoke today. This cigar looked as though someone rejected a few wrappers prior to choosing the one leaf that fit it just right; like more care was taken in its production. Perhaps some of you remember when the Connecticut Shade wrapper was the envy of the world, but this cigar with its pale ultra-light colorado appeared as though it was dressed in Connecticut Shade. The cigar appeared delicate, almost frail but it was not. The ash was delicate as is often with these thin cigar and dropped easily. The burn was razor straight, ash still dark, smoke abundant and white. I still can't get over the almost veinless, perfection of finish. I loved the cigar!

I suppose one of the best characteristics of this cigar was that it really was no better (other than finish construction) than what I am used to in smoking my current Monte Esp(s). I currently smoke out of three vintages '07 (rarely), '05, and '00 (mostly). The similarity to the nine year old Montes is astounding. The fact that I am enjoying so much the same cigar, even from that blighted production vintage is inspiring news for the cigar in general.

I find I must say it again, that the Monte Especial is in general the finest Montecristo cigar. I still smoke abundantly the #1, 3, 4, 5, but none hold or posses the elegant refinement of these cigars. Someday you may hold an '09 Monte #1 Especial and wonder why they ever stopped making them. I hope that day will never come but with all my slender friends fair game for the chopping block I can only say experience them now before they are just a memory for tomorrow!

Cheers Mates and Happy New Year -Ray